Main Menu

The Cattle Raid of Cooley graphic novel

Started by Patrick, 13 September, 2019, 05:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Sláine fans who want to go a bit deeper into the source material might be interested in the collected edition of The Cattle Raid of Cooley. It stars Cú Chulainn, the legendary Irish hero Pat Mills' barbarian is partially based on. You'll probably know a few things about the character, but you might not know much of his story. Well, The Cattle Raid of Cooley is the main event. Here, as a sixteen-year-old rookie border guard, he defends Ulster alone (other than his charioteer Láeg) against an invading army, led by queen Medb (another name you may be familiar with from Sláine) of Connacht.

It's a full-length graphic novel, 270 pages plus endnotes, and is available to buy from my website.

Also available is a new edition of Ness, a shorter story (72 pages plus notes) set a couple of generations earlier - Ness is Cú Chulainn's grandmother. Previously published at A5 size and in black and white, this new, larger edition is printed, like The Cattle Raid of Cooley, as originally drawn, in red ink. There are excerpts of both books on my website.

And if you're in Northern Ireland tomorrow, Saturday 14 September, and can make it to Omagh Comic Fest at the Strule Arts Centre, Omagh, you can buy copies from me at my table. Hope to see at some Squaxx there!

Greg M.

Interesting, Patrick - care to show us some of the internal art?

Patrick

Well, as I said, there are excerpts from both books on my website. But if you don't want to click the link, here's a bit of The Cattle Raid of Cooley...

And here's a bit of Ness...

maryanddavid

Highly recommended, incredibly well researched, written and drawn, and best of all a great comic!

Greg M.

Quote from: Patrick on 13 September, 2019, 10:46:23 PM
Well, as I said, there are excerpts from both books on my website.

I know, but that involved clicking an entire two links to get to the good stuff, and I'm an impatient man who wants it here and who wants it now. Anyway, very atmospheric work, particularly the pages from Ness.

Edited to add: plus, a recommendation from David is pretty much the gold standard of praise!

Professor Bear

Ah shit, good one getting this into a collection.  Ordered.

JayzusB.Christ

Nice one! Looks cool.

I seem to remember the Thomas Kinsella translation of the Tain describing Cúchulainn as having multiple, multicoloured pupils in each eye and extra fingers. And this was supposed to show how handsome he was. Think it's for the best that you haven't gone that direction.

I also remember him carrying Medb away by the tits, which seemed absurd till I imagined all the sweaty, pissed up Celts sitting around the fire laughing their arses off when the storyteller threw that in for their benefit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

I had the pleasure of buying the first physical copy of this off Paddy at Omagh Con on Saturday.  It is a joy to read.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Greg M.

Ordered late on Friday night, arrived on Monday morning. Blimey! Really professional-looking collections that nonetheless showcase an individualistic talent and aesthetic. Clearly a labour of love, and it shows.

maryanddavid

Got a copy of this at Omagh as well, great stuff!