Main Menu

Future Titan JD Graphic Novels???

Started by HiEx, 23 May, 2002, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiEx

I'm hoping that Titan will publish a graphic novel combining the Dredd/Grice stories Purgetory (progs 834-841) and Inferno(progs 842-853) as I missed these the first time round....hint hint!

Also, although the coming re-release of the Cursed Earth graphic novel in hardback format is great news, I'd really love to see a full colour version of this Epic.

Lastly, did anyone else think that the recent Titan 'Justice One' graphic novel was a little slim for ?7.99? And what's with re-printing the story 'Twilight's Last Gleaming', this already appeared in an earlier graphic novel a few years ago :(

HiEx

davidbishop

The reason Mandarin/Octopus/Hamlyn never collected the Purgatory/Inferno story at the time is probably because their editorial policy favoured shorter books initially.

It was only in the late 90s Hamlyn et all embraced longer books. By that time I had a hand in helping select new graphic novels and probably didn't promote it as a possibility, not being a fan of the story myself.

Once Titan has run out of Ennis material, it seems logical they should start on the Millar & Morrison stories. Both scribes are now big noises in US comics.

Purgatory/Inferno would have 121 pages of strip. Hamlyn did Book of the Dead, which had 48 pages and lovely Dermot Power art. That just leaves Crusade (60 pages, Mick Austin art) or a Janus, Psi collection...

Re: the Justice One book. I was happy to see this collected, some nice work by Peter Doherty - this story was turned down by Hamlyn at the time, IIRC. But you're right, Hamlyn did collect Twilight's Last Gleaming - along with the other half of that story, The Devil You Know. Guess putting that in would have broken the all Ennis theme...

Titan must be running out of Ennis Dredds. Just Raider and Babes In Arms to come, and both of these were collected as part of larger books by Hamlyn in the 90s...

davidbishop

GordonR

>>Titan must be running out of Ennis Dredds. Just Raider and Babes In Arms to come, and both of these were collected as part of larger books by Hamlyn in the 90s...<<

Oh my god!  Whaat will they do then!?

HiEx

Babes In Arms and Raider are both good stories, but I sure hope that Titan doesn't do reprints, not with the Hamlyn graphic novels still being fairly easy to track down. That would sorta be shooting themselves in the foot sales-wise.

I firmly hope that Titan decides to stick to Dredd material that hasn't been published in graphic novel format before.

Another story which I've never read and would really love to see in a graphic novel is the MKII mechanismo robot story. I never understood why it wasn't included in the Hamlyn Mechanismo graphic novel?

HiEx

Wood

While I'm quite fond of the Millar and Morrison Dredds (yes, even Frankenstein Division and Crusade. I liked Red Razors, too), I suspect that there'll be some resistance in the 2000AD fan community. 2000AD fans aren't *like* other comics fans, see...

They're...

different.

Anyway. ;)

Notwithstanding the frankly excellent Ezquerra art in Purgatory and Inferno, I doubt that they'll be published in a GN any time soon.

But if JamieB wants to prove me wrong, I'll be quite pleased, though...

GordonR

The first two Mechanismo books, with great art by Colin MacNeil and Pete Doherty were collected.

The third one wasn't because, as far as I know, the art was thought to be too substandard, a verdkict I'd pretty much agree with.

Can't remember the name of the artist, but I think he was Spanish, maybe drafted in as an emergency replacement after someone better dropped out.  Certainly, his work isn't a patch on that of Colin and Pete.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure the Bishop droid will be happy to correct the errors of my failing memory circuits.

DavidXBrunt

That would be 'Mechanismo - Body Count' with art by Manuel Bennet (and letters by Tom Frame) and it ran from 2.37 - 2.43.

And after Titan ha've printed the Ennis themed books they planned they'll still have the longest of his stories 'Judgement Day'. And unlike some of his other stories that have appeared in other volumes 'Judgement Day' is almost impossible to get hold off today.

HiEx

Ezquerra art + Dredd = nuff said! Titan get publishing now...and I mean NOW ;-)

HiEx

JamieB

There are two more Ennis Dredd books to come, AFAIK:

"Muzak Killer" will reprint the title story, "MK:Live!", plus "Teddy Choppermitz" and "Raider".

"Innocents Abroad" will reprint IA, "Babes in Arms", "The Rough Guide to Suicide" and "Blind Mate".

We haven't firmed up any further Dredd paperback collections as yet. Meanwhile, there's Strontium Dog: Portrait of a Mutant, a Nemesis hardcover (details TBC), "The Day the Law Died" (Judge Cal) hardcover, Rogue Trooper, Bad Company: Goodbye Krool World, and a couple more, details TBC. That should be it up til 2003.

*J*

HiEx

Arghhh..........Raider and Babes In Arms again!!!! (bangs head against wall repeatedly).

Been there, done that......got them in the Hamlyn graphic novels already. That means part of the money I use to purchase the Muzak Killer and Innocents Abroad graphic novels will be paying for stories I already have.

It's only been a few years since the Hammlyn GNs were published. I wish that you would publish graphic novels featuring only stories never published in graphic novel format before.

Purgatory/Inferno...hint hint!!!!

HiEx