ZenArcade

C'mon Prof, giraffeing a laugh.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Thinking of the giraffe spay?

I'll get me coat...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

I see PETA are condemning this and having their site linked to all over the internet. This is the PETA who've apparently euthanised 31,000 animals since 1998. Twisted, manipulative, hypocritical pricks.

Hawkmumbler

Sorry Prof, thats where your wrong. The creature was deffinelty more than 60% gene match with it's mother. Information concerning this is still coming out so i'll try and keep you peeps updated. The fact that it had already dhown signs of hereditory diease at such a young age proves that it's imune system would soon be shot anyway.

Professor Bear

Yes, shot in the head.

As mentioned, the gene pool for giraffes is very small in Europe so the commonality of the genes isn't that much of a surprise and the euthanising of the creature is scientifically defensible (if you don't object to captive breeding programmes and zoos in general) - things get tricky - and emotional - when you factor in the public spectacle made of the killing, dismemberment, and feeding to lions to turn a profit that followed.

Hawkmumbler

I believe the spectacle could have been dealt with more subtlety, but A part of me feel's that the public needs to toughen up a bit as far as this is concerned. And the zoo will hardly be making a profit out of it, indeed the vast media misrepresentation will only be a detriment to them. I've lost friends arguing in defence of these actions so it's fair to say i'm a little highly strung atm.

Professor Bear

Zoos and private parks feed animals back to other animals all the time, they just don't do it in public and advertise it as a matinee showing.  I'm not saying this was a failure of ethics, I'm saying it was a failure of empathy to not think that some people might be upset at the thought of lovable fluffy zoo attractions being killed, hacked up, and eaten for a paid spectacle.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 February, 2014, 10:05:08 PM
Zoos and private parks feed animals back to other animals all the time, they just don't do it in public and advertise it as a matinee showing.  I'm not saying this was a failure of ethics, I'm saying it was a failure of empathy to not think that some people might be upset at the thought of lovable fluffy zoo attractions being killed, hacked up, and eaten for a paid spectacle.

Yep. Especially when said attractions have been given names.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 February, 2014, 03:37:58 PM
I did know what you meant, JBC, I was just being silly to poke fun at the idea that resources belong to whomever's land they happen to be on. Sounds good in theory but in practice resources belong to whomever has the biggest stick.

Can't argue with that, I suppose!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dudley

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 February, 2014, 09:55:22 PM
I believe the spectacle could have been dealt with more subtlety, but A part of me feel's that the public needs to toughen up a bit as far as this is concerned.

Hell yes.  Meat eaters who can't face up to certain realities should have their meat-eating privileges revoked.

NapalmKev

Coming soon to a car near you... a smoking ban!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26133374

The crux of this argument is "to protect children". Fair enough, nobody in their right Mind would want to inflict pain/injury or damage on another; but I would suggest that Cars/Vehicles have a far greater potential in poisoning people!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dudley

Quote from: NapalmKev on 11 February, 2014, 02:25:06 PM

The crux of this argument is "to protect children". Fair enough, nobody in their right Mind would want to inflict pain/injury or damage on another; but I would suggest that Cars/Vehicles have a far greater potential in poisoning people!

The evidence seems to be against you... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12481.php

The Legendary Shark

M.P.s obviously don't know much. When trapped in a car with a child, cigarettes are essential. Not only to keep you calm enough to restrain from strangling the little bastards but also to mask the stench of Happy Meals, spilled milk and shitty nappies.

Bloody politicians - they're so disconnected from reality, don't you find?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

NapalmKev

Quote from: Dudley on 11 February, 2014, 02:57:27 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 11 February, 2014, 02:25:06 PM

The evidence seems to be against you... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12481.php

Fair enough, but I may doubt the validity of one controlled experiment conducted in someone's garage.

In the experiment they used three burning cigs (no smoke inhaled, just left to gather in the air) against a car left running. If you were the only adult in the car is it likely that you'd have 3 ciggies on the go at once? And if you did, wouldn't you inhale the smoke, lowering the particle count in the immediate vicinity?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dudley on 11 February, 2014, 09:10:32 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 February, 2014, 09:55:22 PM
I believe the spectacle could have been dealt with more subtlety, but A part of me feel's that the public needs to toughen up a bit as far as this is concerned.

Hell yes.  Meat eaters who can't face up to certain realities should have their meat-eating privileges revoked.

indeed. Complain about needlessly killing a giraffe by all means but don't do it while eating an egg and bacon sarnie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!