Main Menu

Meg 466: Shoot ’em up

Started by IndigoPrime, 19 March, 2024, 08:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Funt Solo

It's so weird for me that 2000 AD thought it was a good idea to hire on US superhero writers to work on the comic. That's coming from my perspective that 2000 AD offered something uniquely British that was taking a different stance on the market. No heroes in capes (Klep excepted) was a breath of fresh comic air.

I realize with hindsight that a lot of British talent wanted nothing more than to get hired on by the big boys of the US and join them in their "everything in comics is basically a superhero template" world, and the editors at 2K probably figured it was a great scoop to hire on some US talent.

The results, though. The absolute worst of Rogue Trooper output. An almost complete lack of regard for continuity, or even internal logic. The article in this Meg skates neatly over the fact that most of the stories they're talking about are risible. It's a bit like "Oh yeah, that Billy McFarland - I actually helped him out on his Fyre Festival planning - it was me that chose the catering and sourced the disaster relief tents".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 March, 2024, 02:53:31 PMIt's so weird for me that 2000 AD thought it was a good idea to hire on US superhero writers to work on the comic.

Fleisher, particularly, was a good friend of then-editor Richard Burton. To be fair, Fleisher was pretty well-regarded for his runs on The Spectre and Jonah Hex, so it's not like Burton just brought on some total rando... it's just a shame that Fleisher never really adjusted to the very different discipline of writing 5/6 pages for a weekly anthology.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

I always thought Steve Gerber would have been a good fit for 2000AD if they could get him. He had that off-kilter, satirical sensibility. I'm not that familiar with Doug Moench's work, but I understand that he was friends with Alan Grant, and that AALN-1 thought highly of him.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Proudhuff

Dredd The action hero Dredd kind of grates with me now, I like the clipped, precise and economical Dredd, but that's just me, would have been better if Dredd had worked that out with the lift himself.

De Marco - Not really catching my attention except that scar seems way disproportionate.

Black Museum was a  good short.

Hookjaw  working well but would do better in a GN.

Under Siege: Just the movie reworked really?

Devlin Waugh enjoyed this, and chortled at the thought of the more gammon elements losing the plot about this.

Harrower Squad Enjoyed the set up and the policies alluded to made the trough to get here worthwhile, but can't see MC1 would want with an ethnically cleansed central belt? Especially when they have vast areas that are post chaos day cleared themselves, and are short of a bob or two currently.

DDT did a job on me