Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

p.s. You might be able to guess from the caption for Tornado 16 that an airplane appears on the cover - no prizes for guessing who provided the artwork (clue: this artist is still selling prints and was at the 2000AD 40th in Hammersmith).

sheridan

The shortly titled Tornado Summer Special

Full of your favourite Tornado characters and not at all filled with reprint, filler and inappropriately-placed strips.

The longly titled 2000AD and Starlord Prog 120: Judge Dredd to Justice H.Q. ... Rioters in Spaceport have ignored my warnings... stand by for casualties! Every day is Judgement Day in Mega-City One!

Great cover by Bolland but has nothing to do with the Ron Smith story.  Can you guess which Ralph Bryce words will be my grailquote of the prog?  Also, the artist for this episode of Disaster 1990 is either clairvoyant or switched careers to become an architect.

sheridan

Back to the short titles - Tornado No 17: The Money Shop

Big E is on holiday, so Sam takes over.

p.s. yesterday's prog should, of course, have been 121, not 120...

TordelBack

Thank you for solving an almost-forgotten mystery for me: the name of the film Geordie. It made a big impression on me as a little'un, to the extent that I slept with the window open right up until I started sharing rooms with less Charles-Atlas-inspired adults - but I never knew what the damn thing was called. Nor was I ever called up for the Olympic shot-putting team.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 November, 2019, 05:18:00 PM
Thank you for solving an almost-forgotten mystery for me: the name of the film Geordie. It made a big impression on me as a little'un, to the extent that I slept with the window open right up until I started sharing rooms with less Charles-Atlas-inspired adults - but I never knew what the damn thing was called. Nor was I ever called up for the Olympic shot-putting team.

Took me two attempts to find it on google (I've seen it two or three times, though always seem to miss the first few minutes).  Can't remember what my first search terms where (whatever it was, it returned loads of results about real life Olympians - pah - real sport, I want the fictional stuff, preferably with jet packs, bikes and weaponry).  The second result on my second attempt found Georgie though.

sheridan

2000AD and Starlord Prog 122: More Mind-Blowing Than Ever! We're No 1 Across the Universe!

I completely fail to figure out who or what Myra Schryll is supposed to be - a parody of something, an in-joke?
It's ten years since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.  Y'know, that thing that was fifty years ago now *eep*
I follow the Hollywood map version of London...
Hammerstein recruits Mongrol for the chain gang ;)
Kenny Harris has wires
The art on Dan Dare is still by Dave Gibbons.

sheridan

Tornado No 18: Drama on Devil's Bend!

Ian Kennedy draws something flying through the air (it's a car).

sheridan

2000AD and Starlord Prog 123: Guilty of treason! The hunt is on for Dan Dare!

First appearances a-plenty, with Betelgeusians, artists and mystics making their debuts.  Also a few last appearances: RIP Big Ciril and 13.

sheridan

sheridan

2000AD and Starlord Prog 124: Flee in terror, Earthlets! I am Kil-Gorr – the intergalactic hitman! Tharg foils assassination attempt!
Tharg promises the forthcoming appearance of Anderson (not named) for a second time.  In the meantime, the Holocaust Squad.
A story started by Brian Bolland is continued by Ron Smith, a story started by Kevin O'Neill is continued by Brett Ewins and a story begun by Ian Gibson is continued by Jesus Redondo.  Someone in editorial had a hectic month!

Tornado No 20: Can Courageous Captain Klep... Beat the BANDIT BEAK!
How do you follow up Adolf Hitler?  With a semi-mythical figure (the figure is real but what we now know is subject to myth).  After this week, anything following is going to be a climb down the tree of villainy.

sheridan

Robots! You're not really ALIVE unless you're reading 2000AD and Starlord Prog 125: Guerilla Warfare – robot style! General Blackblood faces the A.B.C. Warriors!

The first appearance of Blackblood, plus Savage and Bamber get something to aim for (Oxford, ironically enough, considering who owns 2000AD now).

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2019, 10:22:18 PM
2000AD and Starlord Prog 124: Flee in terror, Earthlets! I am Kil-Gorr – the intergalactic hitman! Tharg foils assassination attempt!
Tharg promises the forthcoming appearance of Anderson (not named) for a second time.  In the meantime, the Holocaust Squad.
A story started by Brian Bolland is continued by Ron Smith, a story started by Kevin O'Neill is continued by Brett Ewins and a story begun by Ian Gibson is continued by Jesus Redondo.  Someone in editorial had a hectic month!

Tornado No 20: Can Courageous Captain Klep... Beat the BANDIT BEAK!
How do you follow up Adolf Hitler?  With a semi-mythical figure (the figure is real but what we now know is subject to myth).  After this week, anything following is going to be a climb down the tree of villainy.

There's a reprint of Father Earth in one of the 89 annuals and it really reminded me of how much I love that story. The Ron Smith second half is when I first said "No one destroys Mega City One like Ron Smith" and I stand by that! His ability to draw massive death and destruction is fantastic!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 November, 2019, 09:44:58 PM
There's a reprint of Father Earth in one of the 89 annuals and it really reminded me of how much I love that story. The Ron Smith second half is when I first said "No one destroys Mega City One like Ron Smith" and I stand by that! His ability to draw massive death and destruction is fantastic!

It's not published yet, but in about a week I'll be posting about a Dan Dare-a-like who commits genocide.  Couldn't help but think of Space Spinner 2000 when I was reading that...

I've not kept up with updating this thread very well this week!  I'll do it in two phases - split by a merge!

All action adventure, with... Tornado No 21: They've set dobermans on me... I'm finished! Johnny Lawless faces the Dogs of Death!

This week's Villain in Victor Drago's Black Museum is worse even than Adolf Hitler and Jack the Ripper!  It's "the worst kind of villain". 
In a different story, Blackhawk trusts two Nubians.

2000AD and Starlord Prog 126: Savage was his name! Savage was his battle with the killer flood that engulfed Britain! EXCITING NEWS INSIDE!

Did you see it?  Tucked at the end there?  In capital letters?  Us veterans already know what the exciting news is going to be...  Dan Dare takes a break "for a while".  Also, I need to incorporate the term 'fuzzbuzz' into conversation more.

SPECIAL NEWS INSIDE FOR ALL READERS! Tornado No 22: On your marks... get set... GO! Race into action with Storm!

Why, I wonder if that special news could be anything to do with that exiting news over in 2000AD?  Goodbye to the black hawk (but not Blackhawk).

sheridan

2000AD and Tornado Prog 129: Big Alien Issue! Tharg Terrorises London! "Eeeeeeh!"

At some point in the future the annual will get good, for the meantime the first advert for an annual is bad news...