Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Yeah, they're pretty bad until the 80s imo. But that first Dredd annual is amazing, and everything changes once they can print old thrills instead of weird legacy comics!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

1980 is undoubtedly the worst for annuals - as you say, weird (and not in a good way) legacy comics and there's four of them!  2000AD, Dan Dare, Starlord and Tornado.  Next year is the good Judge Dredd annual, then not so good 2000AD and Tornado annuals...

sheridan

2000AD Annual 1980: It's wild... it's sensational... it's your future!

It's an excuse to hock overpriced reprint to the parents and grandparents of children in 1979.

Dan Dare Annual 1980: "DARE to wingman – peel off! I've got to make the DEATH RUN ALONE!"

It's christmas day in Luna City - throwback, continuity-ignoring, fourth-wall-breaking.  Interesting grail quote for this one though...

TordelBack

You've become really good at this lark, Sheridan. It's probably no surprise that my favourite entries concern the Annuals - your obvious suffering is communicated in such a polite way that the missus just asked me what had me 'grinning gormlessly'.

Leigh S

The art on Dredd is Keith Page IIRC, hence the KayPee Art droids?

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 November, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
The art on Dredd is Keith Page IIRC, hence the KayPee Art droids?

That makes sense - I guess it didn't click with me because he's not one of the 'name' droids.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 November, 2019, 09:10:18 PM
You've become really good at this lark, Sheridan. It's probably no surprise that my favourite entries concern the Annuals - your obvious suffering is communicated in such a polite way that the missus just asked me what had me 'grinning gormlessly'.

I like to be diplomatic.  I always have it in the back of my head that there could be a granddaughter of a departed creator who'll stumble across my words (I know Ron Smith's and Massimo's granddaughters have been active online).  On the other hand, I can't look at some of the pieces in annuals and think that the people responsible handed it in and had a sense of pride - it just looks like cheap work-for-hire done to a deadline - not disparaging the creators as we all have to have an income.  I'd have a look in to how they came about, but doing a blog post a day is a pretty punishing schedule and doesn't lend itself to in-depth research on individual posts.  Which is why I just post day-by-day reflections and half-remembered factoids I've picked up over the decades :)

The sci-fi book of the year! Star Lord Annual 1980

On with the reprints!  Seriously - there's less than twenty pages of original strip in around 150 pages (I'm posting this in my lunch hour so can't check the page counts - but it's something like that).

sheridan

p.s. thanks for the feedback - always nice to be told, even though I know I have some regular visitors from the 'stats and insights' page.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 27 November, 2019, 01:11:20 PM
The sci-fi book of the year! Star Lord Annual 1980

On with the reprints!  Seriously - there's less than twenty pages of original strip in around 150 pages (I'm posting this in my lunch hour so can't check the page counts - but it's something like that).

Jimmi Jupiter, Captain Condor, Val Venture...? With the likes of Dan Dare and Rick Random, too, those old reprints certainly have a pattern to them!
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Will it never end (actually, yes - it's back to regular weekly progs tomorrow).

Tornado Annual 1980: Break the Thrill Barrier with Wolfie Smith, Drago, and Superking Inside!

That headline tells you all you need to know.  Tornado's Wolfie Smith.  Tornado's Drago.  Superking?  Who that?

sheridan

2000AD and Tornado Prog 130: The Mek-nificent Seven are here... Spread the word!

Back to the prog, after all those annuals!

Blitzers and Blackhawk and Battak and Bedlam,
Bamber and Bill Savage all tied up with string, these are a few of my favourite things*.

*Bamber and Bill aren't tied up with string - I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in a future episode though.

sheridan

sheridan

SpaceSpinner2000

A key difference between Mills and Wagner is Mills's desire to link all these comics together. Every T-Rex Pat Mills writes about is in some way part of Old One Eye's genetic line. Meanwhile Bob & Carol & Ted & Ringo weren't even distant cousins!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!