Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 28 February, 2020, 12:01:51 PM
2000AD Prog 212: "Death to the Norms!" The Mutant Army is on the march – inside!

More mutie mahem!

The perp runners story features one of my favourite lines when Dredd starts shooting up the place and tells all the aliens to run or die: "The humes gone nuddly! run for your lives!"

Gary James

It may not have been intended to actually see print as is - one of those things writers stick in, expecting editors to do thier job and change the offending words - but there's something very amusing about the name Lamrox appearing on the cover. This is far too close to 'lame rocks' (as in "not having the stones") to be entirely unintentional.

Greg M.

Quote from: sheridan on 01 March, 2020, 01:31:53 PM
2000AD Prog 214: In the newsagents: "Skud gen gehr!" "Idiot! I asked for 2000 AD – not 2000 elbow scratchers!" The English/Phlondrutian Phrasebook

It's enormous fun - mostly because of the depiction of the increasingly unmoved Phlondrutians - but it does remind you how much Douglas Adams there was in Moore's early work.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 215: Meet Mega-City One's Contract Killers!

A certain detail on the Bolland cover has not aged at all well...

sheridan

2000AD Prog 216: The synthetti men are out to get you!

The return of Tuckitonia, and a teaser poster for some new character.  Hint - he's got blue skin and the series is something to do with war.

sheridan

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 04 March, 2020, 11:31:47 AM
Seth apparently gets run over by Leeshar's ice yacht – if so, it's a bit of a low-key ending for the snake, who's been with us for over half a year.

Farewell, King Seth! It is indeed a bizarrely abrupt end for such a major player. The first time I read MM I didn't even realise he'd died in this episode, until I reached the end of the saga without him reappearing!
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 March, 2020, 11:37:38 AM
Seth apparently gets run over by Leeshar's ice yacht – if so, it's a bit of a low-key ending for the snake, who's been with us for over half a year.

Farewell, King Seth! It is indeed a bizarrely abrupt end for such a major player. The first time I read MM I didn't even realise he'd died in this episode, until I reached the end of the saga without him reappearing!

He started off as such a great character, but ended up sidelined, turned into a figure of fun then dispatched in an unclear manner - but he's not come back.  In my mind he'll reappear in the [spoiler]post-Stone Yujee World[/spoiler].

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 04 March, 2020, 12:29:17 PM

He started off as such a great character, but ended up sidelined, turned into a figure of fun then dispatched in an unclear manner - but he's not come back.  In my mind he'll reappear in the [spoiler]post-Stone Yujee World[/spoiler].

The same thing happens to Pole-Axe, another of my favourite characters - he's genuinely bad news when he first arrives, but soon ends up being played for laughs.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 March, 2020, 12:31:24 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 04 March, 2020, 12:29:17 PM

The same thing happens to Pole-Axe, another of my favourite characters - he's genuinely bad news when he first arrives, but soon ends up being played for laughs.

Funnily enough - outside of 2000AD - the first year that Skeletor appeared.

sheridan

sheridan

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2020, 12:54:59 PM
2000AD Prog 219: Traffic duty – Mega-City One Style! "Dredd's stumm-gassed the mopad! All bikes move in!

Ruth Kreelman's in trouble (but not as much as Clacton Fuzz and Studs Boyce)!

With both Ruth Kreelman and Ruth Jensen appearing in these progs, this is the most Ruth that 2000 AD gets. It's largely Ruth-less for the rest of its history.

Ha ha!

Ahem, I'll get me coat...

I seem to have a vague memory of 'We're here because we're here' (sung to the tune of 'Auld Lang Syne') being a football chant  - don't know how accurate that memory is, though...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.