Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anzati

I'm really liking the collection so far...I wasn't going to subscribe as I'm collecting the case files and picking up any other relevent graphic novels that fit between as we encounter them...but they are such pretty books, so I cracked.

However, the one thing that I would realy like is a list of all 80 planned titles so that I have a better idea as to what this series will cover...this is mainly to fule speculation and excitement, but will also help me understand what other books I'll need to pick up to fill in gaps :) However Hachette's support people don't seem to understand the request :( I don't even care about the order that each volume is being released (I won't be using this to cherry pick; I want the full set)...

Has anyone else tried to request a list like this?

James Stacey

Yep. I think I mentioned it up thread a bit. They say they don't have the list which is hard to believe. Although listening to the thrill-cast, all the production work is being done at Rebellion so it might be true, they don't know what's coming till Rebellion send them the files for the next issues. They are just publishing, advertising and managing subs. If so we need to ask the mighty Molch-R or Robo-Keef if they will let on.

Bat King

There is going to be lots of good stuff & plenty of great stuff. What's more the amount of amazing stuff will make putting up with the average stuff more than bareable.

Contents rundown sorted! Molch-R can quote me on that if he wants.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Anzati

Yep there must be a list somewhere, otherwise releasing Vol 24 as issue 2 is a bit of a risk...If the final collection is ordered by chaos, it might just break me  :lol:

I was looking for something a bit more specific than 'stuff', but less specific that a full rundown of contents  :lol:

Bat King

The thing is having a list doesn't fuel speculation. A list ends it. So it is probably better business not to give a full list now.

More likely is a few future details being dripped out from those in the know.

If I get a press release with details you can be assured I for one will be updating my site and letting folk know. I'm sure others on here will do too. Probably Molch-R will do that too.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

BPP

I'm all for us not knowing at all. Indeed I might start avoiding this thread. So few surprises out there in the modern PR-led comics industry.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Apestrife

Got America and Mechanismo as of now. And I'm really satisfied with the books. Quality books in every way. Quite evident, since how careful my friends have been having a look in them. Something I don't see often.

I'm likely to stick around, getting all of them.

Btw. Any ideas on the back up tales in the Apocalypse war and Origins volumes?

Bat King

It is Front Up strip is Apocalypse War - Block Mania - my preview - http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/judge-dredd-mega-collection-issue-3-18th-february-2015-includes-preview-pages/

Origins has [spoiler](text) An Intro from Matt Smith, Story So Far, (strips) The Connections. Origins. The Spirit of Christmas (Colin MaxNeil editing these???) (text) Article by Michael Molcher (art) Covers Gallery & Sketches by Carlos Ezquerra [/spoiler]. I'm not doing a preview till Wednesday next week at the earliest.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

shaolin_monkey

Mine turned up today. Absolutely gorgeous. They're like a Dredd fan's wet dream.

Minor annoyance - the pin holder on the back of the badge was bent. I was able to gingerly bend it back into place though, so all good.

I've finished Mechanismo already. I'd read the Colin McNeil stuff before, but everything else was new to me (this must have been during the phase where the girlfriend at that time banned comics as too childish. Jeez, the things you put up with to get your end away, eh?). Pete Doherty's work was a real eye-opener. Stunning!

Anzati

My first delivey arrived a few minutes ago...earlier than I expected too, since I started my subscription with issue 3.

Oh, hang on...seems the package contains issues 2 and 3 :(

Also no sign of the badge...

The invoice clearly says under Transaction Details:

'Judge Dredd The Mega Collection 03'
'Judge Dredd The Mega Collection 04, Badge, Takeaway Mug'

Oh well, phone call before I start work on Monday morning I guess. Still they arrived in good condition, which was where my main concerns were.

TordelBack

Going basic nerd here: how does Apocalypse War look on the MegaCollection paper/size?  How well are the centre spreads handled compared to the Casefiles (my current reading cop of same). You see where I'm going with this.

Also: wouldn't it have been cool if they could squeezed Pirates of the Black Atlantic in there?

Steve Green

That 'unfinished pencils' thing is similar to the flashback device used in the previous episode.

Since those pages wouldn't be colour, it's a shorthand for black and white - so intentional, anc nothing to do with the plates or the repro.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 15 February, 2015, 10:07:03 AM
There are some issues with the Apocalypse War book, similar to other collections.

Umm... that 'washed out' Carlos page is supposed to look like that. Carlos deliberately chose not to fill in the blacks during flashback sequences to differentiate them from the current scenes, an effect almost entirely destroyed by IDW's colourists. D'israeli even blogged about copying the effect in one of his Low Life process posts.

Cheers

Jim

Edit: Curses! Beaten to the punch by Steve.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Thanks Eamonn, Steve and Jim.  Does anyone else with volume in hand feel that the centrespread gutter issue is more serious than in the casefiles? I suppose that I`m mainly wondering whether the new volume is a worthwhile upgrade to the casefiles just for the stonking cover and hardback stylings.  If the art looks no better on what is better paper I`d guess I might pass on this one.