2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 April, 2014, 08:55:09 AM
For all you Goths - Bradley meets the Sisters of Mercy

By Simon Harrison

Lovely.

Apparently (according to The Sisters of Mercy book:Heartland) Andrew Eldritch and Doktor Avalanche (:D) sought out Messrs Harrison and McKenzie upon seeing this in order to commision them to design his 1989 tour program.

Who says Goths are self-important and don't have a sense of humour, eh?

Who says

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 17 April, 2014, 03:58:59 PM

I'm extremely dubious about that story because:

1) The Sisters didn't tour in 1989.

2) ISTR someone (whose name eludes me) recounting how they arranged to have that issue of 2000AD passed to Eldritch via Rodney Orpheus (I shit you not) who was playing keyboards for the Sisters at the time. The report that came back suggested that Von was not amused...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 April, 2014, 04:12:06 PM

I'm extremely dubious about that story because Goths are genetically unable to smile

FTFY.

Skullmo

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 April, 2014, 04:34:09 PM

I'm extremely dubious about that story because Goths are genetically unable to smile

FTFY.

The Sisters don't consider themselves goth do they? It's just that everyone else in the world does.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Call-Me-Kenneth

I'm extremely dubious about that story because:

1) The Sisters didn't tour in 1989.

2) ISTR someone (whose name eludes me) recounting how they arranged to have that issue of 2000AD passed to Eldritch via Rodney Orpheus (I shit you not) who was playing keyboards for the Sisters at the time. The report that came back suggested that Von was not amused...

Cheers!

Jim
I'm in work today, but pulled that story from the(slightly fuzzy) memory bank, I can't remember if they toured Vision Thing in 89/90/or whenever...but I can certainly get the article for you if like.

I'm not a Goth, but a big fan of The Sisters, in fact I'm so not a Goth in looks that when I met the Man himself back in the 90s he thought I was joshing him when I told him I was a fan, he only believed me when I started discussing Marian with him...

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 17 April, 2014, 01:50:21 PM

More homage to be paid to Mr Marshall as I have secured the cover to Meg 312. Unusually for Paul he kept the pencils for this page, and the colour version is hand-coloured with pantone/felt tip marker pens on photographic paper. No computers here...

Pencils:

Inks:

Colours:

Grand stuff SB! And loving the colour production art.

Call-Me-Kenneth

I might be misreading it, but this article seems to back up my earlier 'dubious' claim...

Once again, I'm a big fan of Harrison/Bradley/Sisters.... :)

Ps: It was the 1991 tour.

Skullmo

Quote from: Spikes on 17 April, 2014, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 17 April, 2014, 01:50:21 PM

More homage to be paid to Mr Marshall as I have secured the cover to Meg 312. Unusually for Paul he kept the pencils for this page, and the colour version is hand-coloured with pantone/felt tip marker pens on photographic paper. No computers here...

Pencils:

Inks:

Colours:

Grand stuff SB! And loving the colour production art.

Yeah - lovely to see how he has done this - his work just keeps getting better!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

There's some pretty damn arsom stuff appeared on Artdroids recently. Bisley's game-changing first ABC Warriors page?! The biggie for me is the very first page of Iron Legion from Dr Who Weekly #1...!

That one's a big deal to geeks of (ahem) a certain age...!

Cheers

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 17 April, 2014, 09:42:11 PM
I might be misreading it, but this article seems to back up my earlier 'dubious' claim...

I didn't say your claim was dubious, I said I was dubious. I'm still dubious about the assertion in the article: there are no direct sources to back it up, and the '91 tour didn't feature any Harrison art on any flyers I saw. You have an unattributed printed source to back up your version, I have an unverified personal anecdote from (I think) uk.people.gothic for mine. I like to think Eldritch is a humourless prick when it comes to this sort of thing. There is a ton of evidence on my side. :-)

Cheers

Jim

Colin YNWA

Wow there's some lovely pages over at Artdriods... some rich old prices but some lovely pages.

Yeah that Doctor Who page is pretty special.

hippynumber1

Especially if you don't mind paying over the odds...  :o

Jim_Campbell

hippynumber1

I'm pretty sure that was me!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 18 April, 2014, 10:19:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that was me!

Given that there's only one of each of these items, surely it's for the seller to determine the price and the market to decide whether it's "over the odds"? If it sells at that price, clearly it's not overpriced. If it doesn't sell, the price will come down.

Capitalism. It's not tricky.

Cheers

Jim