Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Sad and salutory  tale on the Zenith art  :(

I understand the keenness to suspect foul-play and be 'suspicious' of this company, but in so many cases of this kind you can put problems down to stupidity and/or carelessness...

As for compensation, I suspect the refund matched your payment? In an ideal world the refund would far exceed this, focus their minds a little bit? Anyway, wishful thinking.

chiefy2shoes

Quote from: ming on 03 August, 2014, 05:00:59 PM
Following Greg's awful tale of great and terrible woe, here are my thoughts on how best to avoid this kind of thing (or at least minimise the risk).

1. Avoid Hermes at all costs; I've heard nothing but bad things about them.

2. Avoid shipping framed art.  Yes, getting a ready-framed bit of art may be handy but is definitely not worth running the risk of breakage and subsequent potential damage to the art, let alone some idiotic policy of total destruction of damaged articles.  Glass in post?  No.

3. For shipping in the UK (or UK to elsewhere) I heartily recommend using www.Parcel2go.com, which allows cheap options (much cheaper than Royal Mail / Parcelfarce*) for various courier services and door-to-door service.  People pointed me at this and, having used it, it's a really good way to go.

Greg - you have my deepest sympathy.  Good to have the money back but it's no real consolation, is it?

* I was quoted £75 for shipment of something with Parcelfarce, then I suggested the sender try parcel2go and that came in at £28 (which, strangely, was for a Parcelforce Euro Priority service, including collection from the sender).

I've used myHermes over 100 times to send ebay sales and never had an issue. I briefly used parcel2go but had a really bad experience with them which was compounded by awful customer service.

ming

Quote from: chiefy2shoes on 04 August, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
I've used myHermes over 100 times to send ebay sales and never had an issue. I briefly used parcel2go but had a really bad experience with them which was compounded by awful customer service.

Just goes to show that whatever you do you can have an awful experience or a pain-free one.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.  Hermes has definitely been mentioned in a negative way by far too many people for my liking, though - yours is the first recommendation I've heard!

Skullmo

Quote from: chiefy2shoes on 04 August, 2014, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: ming on 03 August, 2014, 05:00:59 PM
Following Greg's awful tale of great and terrible woe, here are my thoughts on how best to avoid this kind of thing (or at least minimise the risk).

1. Avoid Hermes at all costs; I've heard nothing but bad things about them.

2. Avoid shipping framed art.  Yes, getting a ready-framed bit of art may be handy but is definitely not worth running the risk of breakage and subsequent potential damage to the art, let alone some idiotic policy of total destruction of damaged articles.  Glass in post?  No.

3. For shipping in the UK (or UK to elsewhere) I heartily recommend using www.Parcel2go.com, which allows cheap options (much cheaper than Royal Mail / Parcelfarce*) for various courier services and door-to-door service.  People pointed me at this and, having used it, it's a really good way to go.

Greg - you have my deepest sympathy.  Good to have the money back but it's no real consolation, is it?

* I was quoted £75 for shipment of something with Parcelfarce, then I suggested the sender try parcel2go and that came in at £28 (which, strangely, was for a Parcelforce Euro Priority service, including collection from the sender).

You live in Ming's Mirror Universe!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Quote from: Simon Beigh on 03 August, 2014, 04:44:00 PM
After Greg's horrible news, I'll attempt to cheer this thread up with a little Shakara grail page I picked up recently - which I'm very pleased with. It's a Book 1 page, and boy is it a cracker!

A great page SB - Glad you could snag a Book 1 page. Just Book 4(?) to try for now, eh?

Skullmo

Quote from: Spikes on 06 August, 2014, 05:47:02 PM
Quote from: Simon Beigh on 03 August, 2014, 04:44:00 PM
After Greg's horrible news, I'll attempt to cheer this thread up with a little Shakara grail page I picked up recently - which I'm very pleased with. It's a Book 1 page, and boy is it a cracker!

A great page SB - Glad you could snag a Book 1 page. Just Book 4(?) to try for now, eh?

A gorgeous flint - I bet it looks great in the flesh!

Link Prime

Absolutely shocking stuff about that Zenith page, Greg.
The courier's blanket 'destroy damaged parcels' policy is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Skullmo

Just doing a bit of plugging - don't forget to check out episode 3 of Inky Fingers where we have a great Leigh Gallagher interview http://inkyfingerspodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/inky-fingers-podcast-episode-003-august.html Episode 4 coming next week :)

Dunk!

As is sods law I go years without the money to indulge in original art and then when I have some nothing comes up that whets my whistle. Ho-fuckin-hum.

Some great stuff appearing on here though, good hunting.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Skullmo

Skullmo

Made a special 7 hour train trip yesterday to pick this up. I didn't want any chance of it being destroyed like Greg's Zenith. Very pleased to have this beauty in my collection -

Greg M.

I think that was worth 7 hours travel.

Skullmo

Link Prime

7 days! A stunner Skullmo, congrats.

Dunk!

Great Googly-moogly! Skullmo  :o That's an absolute beaut.

Green-eyed Dunk!
"Trust we"