Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Wow! Episode 10 - is that the last episode of the series?! Bloody superb

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 January, 2021, 02:03:35 PMFor me it's kicking all other sci-fi shows into touch, except maybe The Mandalorian.
For me, The Expanse is way in front. I liked Mando, but it's very much episode of the week, very templated, and, frankly, had the kind of ending to S02 that made me want to slap the showrunner. (The sheer number of spin-offs planned is also pretty depressing.) But The Expanse just builds and builds. I have no idea how they will manage to finish this in another handful of episodes. The only negative is it makes me feel a bit dirty, because it's something to thank Bezos for.

Rara Avis

Does anyone else think it's mad the way Bezos and Zuckerberg both look like cartoon villans.

IndigoPrime

Well, that's one way to end a series. Very glad they've not done a Netflix and already confirmed it'll be back (although quite when, who knows, given COVID).

Tiplodocus

I'm still on Season 4 and mostly can't stop getting confused that they are filming on location as opposed to the lovely but enclosed sets they put up with for years.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Is it me or does The Expanse series 5 have some of the worst use of extras ever? The workers who show up looking for help at the snowy country estate and the politicians / army types in the incident room when [spoiler]Marko attacks The Ring defenses[/spoiler] - the unified cheer they gave when the Mars ships show up made me snigger - the unified shoulder slump when they realise they are [spoiler]not fighting with them[/spoiler] made me sigh.

Overall it was better than season 4 but still way, way down on 3. Marko is such a mustache twirling villain its hard to sell him. I thought what they did with Alex was brave and interesting, by the very fact it lacked expected drama and scale. That lack of drama and scale also robbed it of much of its impact as well. It felt really rushed in places, as though there wasn't time to set up conflicit or incident so they just cut to the chase. The 'security' turning up at aforementioned snowy country estate for the gun fight of it all. The escape from the prison was so contrived and the time it look [spoiler]Chrisjen to get to the head of the UN[/spoiler] in the time it look everyone else not to [spoiler]get to Noami[/spoiler] was Empire Strike Backian in its timelines.

Still much more compelling that season 4 and seems to be setting up some interesting stuff for the 6th Season - which I seem to have in my head is the last?

Colin YNWA

And I've just discovered why Alex[spoiler] is written out so quickly[/spoiler]. Christ that's depressing!

IndigoPrime

Yep: next series is the last. Even the wallet of Bezos has limits.

Tjm86

Colin, the revelations about Cas Anvar (Alex) are beyond depressing.  My eldest daughter wants to a career in theatre production.  Knowing how common some of the behaviours alleged are does not fill me with confidence for her safety.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 June, 2021, 04:27:36 PM
Colin, the revelations about Cas Anvar (Alex) are beyond depressing.  My eldest daughter wants to a career in theatre production.  Knowing how common some of the behaviours alleged are does not fill me with confidence for her safety.

Yeah and then you hear how sexual harrassment is so normalised in schools these days as well.

In the context of of this show its particularly depressing... well no its infuriating wherever and when makes no difference. It has a different level as one thing this show does very well is be effortless diverse. Showing that there should be no rythm or reason to expect anything else.

Good luck to your daughter I hope she enters a time where the calling out of this crap puts and end to it...

Link Prime

I never could sympathize those babbling idiot Belters, so was delighted when Season 5 gave me a reason to embrace my xenophobic hatred.

Earth must come First.

Rara Avis

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

relatable but awe-inspiring too. it's a super stylish, highly emotional, character driven space opera. for me it's the best sci-fi show of them all. i can't wait.

Trooper McFad

Fantastic I really enjoyed the first 5 seasons this will give me some Xmas bingeing
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

Only 6 episodes!

A second cloaked asteroid just struck my heart.