Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2014, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 November, 2014, 07:29:36 PM
Best superhero film ever?

Still The Incredibles.

Yeah that's still the best for me - Mystery Men is good fun but is let down by its lame finale.

Although 10/10 for good casting.

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 26 November, 2014, 07:47:26 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 November, 2014, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 November, 2014, 07:29:36 PM
Best superhero film ever?

Still The Incredibles.

Yeah that's still the best for me

And another vote here.  And not just because of the humour or the characters, the action sequences are also graceful, gloriously inventive and genuinely intense.  I'm always saying it, but I struggle to think of a more gripping superhero sequence than the one where Elastagirl's plane is shot down.

Although I do also have a huge soft spot for both Captain America and Superman II.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I bloody love The Incredibles too - perfect fusion of superhero, Bond, and animation.  Excellent stuff!

Theblazeuk

I acknowledge The Incredibles. However I would also like to put forward Blade for consideration, at the other end of the spectrum.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 November, 2014, 10:17:50 AM
I acknowledge The Incredibles. However I would also like to put forward Blade for consideration, at the other end of the spectrum.

Damn, that's a good call...

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 November, 2014, 10:52:11 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 November, 2014, 10:17:50 AM

Damn, that's a good call...

The Rocketeer?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

ARMY OF DARKNESS

Army of SHITness, more like.

Can't believe I liked this when it first came out, which was when I saw it last.

Ash is an asshole despite having a couple of good lines and the slapstick is interminable and not very funny.

Tiny Tips thought it was enjoyable but wouldn't watch it again.

Colin YNWA

To my eternal shame I've only just got around to watching 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' and by golly that was fun. Okay so possibly it over egged the pudding in the last half hour or so but over all as good as first and leaving me hankering for the third (there's one more right?). The CGI was a little over ambitious at times, the stag hunt at the beginning springs to mind but by the end I'd forgotten the apes weren't real.

Having watched this, and being in the middle of a re-read of Booms! wonderful apes comics I'm left wondering how Mr Burton got it all so wrong!

DaveGYNWA

Just finished watching Guardians of the Galaxy again, in preparation for watching it tomorrow with the little 'uns - they've been badgering away at us to watch it so refreshing the mind with some of the content had to be done. Looking forward to seeing what they think of it tomorrow.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Keef Monkey

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - finally got around to this one! It was my favorite book in the series and they did a great job of it. I do enjoy that the films offer more cutaways to the baddies plotting than the books do. I'm oddly not all that pumped about seeing the latest films, the third book was the weakest I felt (once the focus moved away from the games themselves I think it lost some intensity, plus I got burnt out on the indecisive love triangle aspect, which I know sells books to teenage girls but just made Katniss become less and less likable as it dragged on), so will probably wait for those on Netflix rather than rushing to the cinema.

shaolin_monkey

Nightcrawler - bloody brilliant. Jake Gyllenhaal is a star turn, and plays a creepy weirdo who chases police around looking for accidents and shootings to film, and then sell the footage to TV studios.  The complete lack of moral compass is incredibly disturbing. On top of this it is beautifully shot, and there are certain key scenes that are incredibly exciting!

Top marks!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 November, 2014, 07:58:30 PM
ARMY OF DARKNESS

Army of SHITness, more like.

Can't believe I liked this when it first came out, which was when I saw it last.

Ash is an asshole despite having a couple of good lines and the slapstick is interminable and not very funny.

Tiny Tips thought it was enjoyable but wouldn't watch it again.
I used to think you where cool. Seem's I was wrong.

Tiplodocus

You were definitely wrong.  I have never, ever been cool.

I'll stand by my revised view of Army of Darkness; I found it painful to watch.

radiator

Finally convinced my girlfriend to give the LotR movies another try last night. She's always professed to hate them following the last time I tried to get her to watch them with me many years ago, but I'd always told myself (and her, repeatedly) that under the right circumstances - a decent AV setup and the Theatrical rather than Extended editions - she would enjoy them. I mean, how could any reasonable person not, right?

Sadly not. Could sense her zoning out before they even got to Rivendell, and as the Fellowship reached Moria (which is the point where I thought she'd be gripped), out the iPad came. Dammit! It didn't help matters that the streaming service had mislabelled the movie so we ended up watching the Extended Edition anyway.

It's a shame, as watching the trilogy is somewhat of a Christmas tradition for me, but one that is almost impossible these days due to sharing a TV and the running time.

Oh, well! :(

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 01 December, 2014, 07:27:22 PM
Finally convinced my girlfriend to give the LotR movies another try last night. She's always professed to hate them following the last time I tried to get her to watch them with me many years ago, but I'd always told myself (and her, repeatedly) that under the right circumstances - a decent AV setup and the Theatrical rather than Extended editions - she would enjoy them. I mean, how could any reasonable person not, right?

Sadly not. Could sense her zoning out before they even got to Rivendell, and as the Fellowship reached Moria (which is the point where I thought she'd be gripped), out the iPad came. Dammit! It didn't help matters that the streaming service had mislabelled the movie so we ended up watching the Extended Edition anyway.

It's a shame, as watching the trilogy is somewhat of a Christmas tradition for me, but one that is almost impossible these days due to sharing a TV and the running time.

Oh, well! :(

That's too bad rad. :( Watching LotR is pretty much a Christmas tradition in our home too. Fortunately my wife is into the series, even the extended editions. I'm fortunate in that respect.