Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

Just managed to catch up with John Wick at my last visit to the cinema....I'd heard both good and bad reviews but thought I'd give it a try anyway..

Verdict as follows :
Hugely entertaining with an extremely high 'body count',  and lashings of stylish and skilfully choreographed violence.  ( A bit like Chow Yun Fat in Hard Boiled )..
A very 'slight' plot and Keanu was his usual self ....make of that what you will....

Just don't go looking for a thought provoking and intellect stimulating movie...Just go, sit back and enjoy a good 'shoot em up' movie.
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

CrazyFoxMachine

Calvary

I was told, having loved The Guard, to be wary of this. It's a great deal darker - a great deal colder and a whole lot bleaker. Until I saw Gleeson's interview on the DVD I still wasn't quite sure what to make of Calvary's... sometimes seemingly random plot which wound dizzily along to a very stone cold finale - but yes, it's seven stages of grief in seven days. Tremendous.

Yes it is a great deal less palatable than McDonagh's previous but the cast are golden and the ultimate message - which I think is one of openness - is quite bleakly profound. I was wary but I came away moved.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Paddington

I expected to be bored but loved every single minute. One of the best family films I've ever seen and surely destined to become a Mary Poppins-grade classic.
Lock up your spoons!

Zenith 666

I know you watched it alone x :)

dancornwell

Giovanni's Island.

A good Anime but not as good as Spirited Away or similar. Reminds me of Grave of Fireflies. Second World War setting with two kids trying to survive an occupation by the Russians.
7.5/10

pictsy

Blade

The film that began it all.  A quality comic book adaptation and a fine addition to the Action Vampire genre (if there is such a thing).  I remember seeing this in 90's when it was released on VHS and it was a favourite at the time.  I remember being impressed with the choices in lighting - which at the time felt fresh even if they look common place now.  The action is well choreographed, entertaining with a nice sprinkling of humour at times.  The performances certainly don't grate and Stephen Dorff performed well as a petulant Deacon Frost.  The story is concise and paced well.  I never noticed before today that the climax takes up nearly half of the films run time.  It really doesn't seem like it as the pace ramps up and appears to flash by quickly.

I have no idea whether this film was any help in allowing X-Men to get the green light.  It might not be a relevant point.  This is certainly one of the quality Marvel adaptations and I can't think of any precursors that match it's execution.

I may continue watch the Blade film franchise as I have always enjoyed it as a whole.  Even the third one.  Who knows, maybe I'll marathon my way through Marvel films.  Only question is, if I do that will I have to endure the Daredevil and Ghost Rider films again?

Tiplodocus

JOHN WICK
Well, that was good. Rather reminded me of imaginary games of soldiers as a child where you walk into a room full of Nazis or aliens and shoot them all in a beautifully choreographed frenzy. Except when I did it I was never accompanied by such fantastic music and never looked as effortlessly cool as Keanau.

WOLF OF WALL STREET
Reminded me of goodfellas but at least the gangsters had some charm. Really didn't enjoy this and it should have been right up my street. I even felt Leo was phoning it in somewhat. And his resignation lasted about as long as Farage.
More like the "Shit of Shit Street".

OLD BOY
Yeah, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen this either.  I was expecting a martial arts romp (don't ask me why, probably because all people ever mention is "the corridor fight"). But instead it's a pure mad mental chunk of Korean neon-noir. (or should that be neo-noir) with a neat twist and a very challenging premise. Great stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Zombie Flesh Eatters.

You know I would have sworn I'd seen this film in my youth, but if I did it clearly washed over me.Which to be honest wouldn't have entirely surprised as it pretty damned mah... well except for Zombie vs Shark. ZOMBIE VS, FUCKIN' SHARK.

How cool is that. I know, I know bloody ridiculous but, still how fuckin' cool.

And also how the well did they film that.Cos for the life of me that was Zombie vs Shark and the shark looked bloody real and the zombie was wearing apparatus.So it must have been filmed by the lungful!

Average zombie movie except ZOMBIE VS SHARK (oh and being pulled onto big fuckin' splitter which was grim)

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2015, 09:51:53 PM

And also how the well did they film that.Cos for the life of me that was Zombie vs Shark and the shark looked bloody real and the zombie was wearing apparatus.So it must have been filmed by the lungful!

From what I read, they fed the shark to bursting point with horsemeat, and drugged it to sedate it. Plus the guy playing the zombie was the shark's trainer.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I saw that was on and am gutted I missed it. I've never seen it. The cover of the video (nasty) seemed so alluring to a seven year old me.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Of course I meant 'wasn't wearing apparatus' - one day I will get my negatives sorted on this place. Promise.

Makes sense what you said Greg. I also figured it was probably a benign species of shark - I mean I've swam with sharks a few times and most of um are soft as anything... or at least don't bite ya bloody arm off. But soft as a shark might be (towards humans that is) you pretend to bite its fin off its going to use those nashers on you!

Professor Bear

Sharks are the bastards of the sea.  Isn't there a bit in Zombie Flesh Eaters where someone gets their eye stabbed slowly through with a huge splinter?  That and the shark scene are the only decent bits in it.

Buttonman

Quote from: Bear on 11 May, 2015, 10:58:05 PM
That and the shark scene are the only decent bits in it.

Apart from the nudie bits.

Another thumbs up for John Wick - Bonkers action with alumni from Battle Creek, The Wire and Game of Thrones filling out the roster. [spoiler]Slightly disappointed in the final pay off which seems a bit easy and indistinct - was the Daddy Russian even killed?[/spoiler] but overall it was a lot of fun.

Also enjoyed 'Pitch Perfect' as a guilty pleasure. I liked Anna Kendrick from 'The Voices' and 'Up in the Air' and she showed a good set of pipes here. Sequel out this week - toying with Mad Max for my cinema spend. (going with Max).

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2015, 10:14:22 PM
Of course I meant 'wasn't wearing apparatus' - one day I will get my negatives sorted on this place. Promise.

Makes sense what you said Greg. I also figured it was probably a benign species of shark - I mean I've swam with sharks a few times and most of um are soft as anything... or at least don't bite ya bloody arm off. But soft as a shark might be (towards humans that is) you pretend to bite its fin off its going to use those nashers on you!

Soft....what about their denticles?

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2015, 10:14:22 PM
I also figured it was probably a benign species of shark

It's a tiger shark. Probably one of the less benign options!