Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Quote from: Mudcrab on 26 September, 2012, 02:05:37 PM
Ugh. Also, if I can just express my disgust at some arsehole on lovefilm. Was going to chuck Never Let Me Go on my list and made the HUGE mistake of looking down the list of reviews. Some hugely inconsiderate, bottom-feeding scumbag posted a one liner basically saying it was shit and describing what the whole film was about. So that'll be pointless now I guess. It's like bloody Homer on his way out of Empire  ::)

Tit. What a rubbish thing to do.

I'd still give it a watch if I were you as you'll still enjoy it even armed with knowledge of the plot. It's not the sort of film with a "DA-DUM!" plot twist at the end, the subtleties are leaked out gradually in a very organic way. I had a rough idea of the story before I watched it and still enjoyed it.

Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan are excellent and the screenplay was written by our mate Alex Garland.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mudcrab on 26 September, 2012, 02:05:37 PM
Ugh. Also, if I can just express my disgust at some arsehole on lovefilm. Was going to chuck Never Let Me Go on my list and made the HUGE mistake of looking down the list of reviews. Some hugely inconsiderate, bottom-feeding scumbag posted a one liner basically saying it was shit and describing what the whole film was about. So that'll be pointless now I guess. It's like bloody Homer on his way out of Empire  ::)

I get the impression you might think the [spoiler]clone[/spoiler] thing (spoiler tags just in case) is a kind of twist or reveal, but it's told to the characters about 10 minutes into the film and is merely the setup for what follows.
Unfortunately, what follows is boredom.

Mudcrab

Quote from: HdE on 26 September, 2012, 02:30:09 PM
Quote from: Mudcrab on 26 September, 2012, 12:40:10 PM
I enjoyed Haywire too, thought it was a lot better than it appeared to be in trailers. Sorry HdE, looks like I won't be going by your opinions  ;)

Nah, that's cool. Diff'rent strokes an' all that. Although I would say that for me, the exact opposite was true - great trailer, crap movie.

Absolutely, we all have different tastes, glad I didn't come across in a bad way there. Smileys work!

@Lee & Prof - Cheers, sounds like it'll still be worth a watch then. I think I did know the spoilered bit there from someone in another thread (probably Dredd 3D somewhere) about that kind of plot.From that point it's sounding a bit like [spoiler]The Island, obviously without the Bay-style uber-action[/spoiler].

Ultimately, Carey and Keira should be reason enough  :)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mr Walter the Wobot

Hi all! Seeing as I'm still too much of a newbie to post on the Dredd film review thread, thought I'd post my opinion of it here, seeing as it's the last film I saw - just got back from watching it!

I absolutely loved it, easily one of my favourite films of the year, if not ever. Acting was fantastic, particularly Urban and Thirlby. Great dialogue, awesome action, great atmospheric score, and some genuinely stunning moments (Ma-Ma's last scene especially).

I'm off work tomorrow, and am very tempted to go and watch it again already - something I haven't done in a long time.

Really hope a sequel is commissioned - Urban's performance was so spot-on, and so utterly devoid of actorly ego, that he deserves the chance to do it again.

HdE

Hey Mudcrab - no worries! The only rule in my book is that everyone should enjoy what they're entertaining themselves with - otherwise, what's the point, right? You won;t ever find me denying somebody their right to an opinion.

(And, i think we can all agree, Mr. Walter the Wobot has IMPECCABLE taste in movies!)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mr Walter the Wobot

Ha ha, thank you, HdE  :)

Seriously awesome film, can't stop thinking about it! Good length for it too - was over too fast but left me wanting more. Think a certain Mr Christopher Nolan could learn a thing or two from this (not meant to be a bitchy dig, just a genuine statement).

von Boom

Dredd. Again. Took a few hours off work this afternoon (read skived) and saw it again. I think it's even better the second time round.

Mr Walter the Wobot

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 27 September, 2012, 08:47:34 PM
Dredd. Again. Took a few hours off work this afternoon (read skived) and saw it again. I think it's even better the second time round.

Is it really better? I was very tempted to buy a ticket for the next showing as soon as it finished - something I'd not considered since Avengers Assemble - but relented. I don't know if I will actually go to watch it again tomorrow as I suggested earlier, but I would quite like to watch it again before it's removed from the cinemas for good.

Hope it gets a DVD release fairly quickly!

I keep chuckling whenever I remember Dredd's "you're the psychic" line  :D

Cannot compliment Urban's performance enough. The voice was much softer than I'd expected, and I was pleasantly surprised.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mr Walter the Wobot on 27 September, 2012, 08:59:19 PM
I was very tempted to buy a ticket for the next showing as soon as it finished

Ha, I was that close to doing exactly that.  Welcome to the fowum, Wobot. 

von Boom

Better in that I saw things I missed the first time. Little things like background imagery and I heard the score more this time. I made Mega City One come more alive this time since I wasn't so keyed up to see it.

Mr Walter the Wobot

[quote/]

Ha, I was that close to doing exactly that.  Welcome to the fowum, Wobot.
[/quote]

Gweetings, TordelBack! Gweat minds think alike and all that  :)

Hoagy

Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein. The only film I'll ever refer to the honourable SBT to, for how good a film is. One of my all time favourite films I never saw, until the other night.

I absolutely adore Lon Chaney in this. As I have an inkling he may be family (jk).
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SmallBlueThing

It gives me great pleasure to see someone else enjoying the delights of Universal and Bud & Lou. Many cite the "descent into comedy" as proof positive that horror was all played out, and the idea that horror always goes this way is so entrenched now as to be one of those bollocks 'truths' that mainstream shitics spout in an attempt to appear knowledgeable. This ignores just how good Bud and Lou were at their best, and how good the movies were. Glad you're enjoying.

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

Is this the one with the candle on the coffin?

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 September, 2012, 08:02:27 PMMany cite the "descent into comedy" as proof positive that horror was all played out, and the idea that horror always goes this way is so entrenched now as to be one of those bollocks 'truths' that mainstream shitics spout in an attempt to appear knowledgeable. This ignores just how good Bud and Lou were at their best, and how good the movies were. Glad you're enjoying.

I think there's probably a kernel of truth in it, in that any entertainment eventually becomes introspective and self-aware sooner or later if only to sidestep criticisms that the act is becoming stale, and any sort of deconstruction usually leads to parody sooner or later.  Just look at the latter episodes of long-running tv shows and that's usually where you find the stories that deconstruct the format or openly mock it.
I reckon Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstein works because they put a comedy property into a horror property, but the comedy was still funny and the horror was still scary so neither audience was short-changed.