Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Corialanus starting Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler and Brian Cox. Recommended to me by a Dalek, no really.

Outstanding, will watch again & do a review on my blog.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Buttonman

Professor Bear

Kingdom of the Spiders - more like Mingdom of the Shiters, am I right?  William Shatner is in it - more like William SHATner, am I r... wait, never mind - and he's riding on horses a lot in it, which I would suspect is the only reason he did the film as he's mental for horses in real life, except I know he makes shite films all the time, it's like he can't help himself, he just reads something and goes "this is dreadful - I'll do it."  I reckon that's why he turned down the cameo in the Trek reboot, because he couldn't decide if the script was genuinely terrible or a work of genius he could not understand, like he got to that bit where Scotty takes a ride in a waterslide for half an hour and decided not to take the chance it might turn out good.
Mingdom is awful.  I still have no idea why the spiders were a menace all of a sudden apart from the fact that pesticides are a bad idea, and I turned away from the tv to take a call and when I looked back there was a black woman going AAAAAARG and shooting a gun wildly at spiders on the floor and then it just cut to somewhere else and she was never seen again, so it was like a Family Guy cutaway or something.  Terrible film, not even "so bad it's funny" bad, just really dull and ends suddenly.  You will guaranteed be watching it and thinking "why don't they just stamp on the spiders?"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 March, 2013, 05:12:01 PM
Kingdom of the Spiders - more like Mingdom of the Shiters, am I right?  William Shatner is in it - more like William SHATner, am I r... wait, never mind - and he's riding on horses a lot in it, which I would suspect is the only reason he did the film as he's mental for horses in real life, except I know he makes shite films all the time, it's like he can't help himself, he just reads something and goes "this is dreadful - I'll do it."  I reckon that's why he turned down the cameo in the Trek reboot, because he couldn't decide if the script was genuinely terrible or a work of genius he could not understand, like he got to that bit where Scotty takes a ride in a waterslide for half an hour and decided not to take the chance it might turn out good.
Mingdom is awful.  I still have no idea why the spiders were a menace all of a sudden apart from the fact that pesticides are a bad idea, and I turned away from the tv to take a call and when I looked back there was a black woman going AAAAAARG and shooting a gun wildly at spiders on the floor and then it just cut to somewhere else and she was never seen again, so it was like a Family Guy cutaway or something.  Terrible film, not even "so bad it's funny" bad, just really dull and ends suddenly.  You will guaranteed be watching it and thinking "why don't they just stamp on the spiders?"
Is it any surprise I love it? :lol:

Goaty

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Apartment

Jack Lemmon has the best timing. I watched this and couldn't help but think that Martin freeman learned a lot from Jack Lemmon. And Shirley Maclaine is perfect.

North by Nothwest

Cary grant is brilliant. He makes drunk driving look hilarious. Drunk driving is unforgivable, but he makes it funny.
You may quote me on that.

Mabs

Ice Age 4 with the kids. A fun one and a half hours. The sound of my kids laughter is like music to my soul!  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe Apartment

Jack Lemmon has the best timing. I watched this and couldn't help but think that Martin freeman learned a lot from Jack Lemmon. And Shirley Maclaine is perfect.

Saw this in the cinema a few weeks ago. It's a hell of a movie, but not the out and out laugh riot I expected being that Jack lemon is in it, especially as the second act is all about [spoiler]Maclaine's character taking an overdose. [/spoiler].
But brilliant performance all round, and I have to admit to being a bit surprised at Maclaine. I really only know her as a mental old woman - seeing her as a sexy, smart and amazingly charismatic young woman was an eye opener.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 March, 2013, 10:11:40 PM
QuoteThe Apartment

Saw this in the cinema a few weeks ago. It's a hell of a movie, but not the out and out laugh riot I expected being that Jack lemon is in it, especially as the second act is all about [spoiler]Maclaine's character taking an overdose. [/spoiler].
But brilliant performance all round, and I have to admit to being a bit surprised at Maclaine. I really only know her as a mental old woman - seeing her as a sexy, smart and amazingly charismatic young woman was an eye opener.

She stole the show. When you say 'mental old woman', I know what you mean, but she just so sexy and smart in this film.
You may quote me on that.

Bat King

Quote from: Bat King on 20 March, 2013, 06:08:19 PM
Corialanus starting Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler and Brian Cox. Recommended to me by a Dalek, no really.

Outstanding, will watch again & do a review on my blog.

My review, with improved spelling of Coriolanus.

http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2013/03/22/coriolanus-a-film-directed-by-ralph-fiennes-light-spoilers/
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Daveycandlish

Quote from: El Pops on 22 March, 2013, 09:20:11 PM
The Apartment

North by Nothwest

Cary grant is brilliant. He makes drunk driving look hilarious. Drunk driving is unforgivable, but he makes it funny.

Two of my favourite films - you sir, have taste!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Mardroid

Quote from: Mabs on 20 March, 2013, 05:55:04 PM
I like both endings if i'm honest; the twist ending is very evocative of Planet of the Apes somewhat, while the S-Mart ending is also a blast (literally!). If i had to choose.........S-Mart!

I like both endings too.

I'd go with the Director's Cut ending though as it goes well with the themes of Ash smegging things up. And I like the idea that it would lead to a post apocalyptic sci-fi based Evil Dead 4 (they did fantasy in the third film so why not!). The S-Mart ending was a blast though.

Actually, the Director's Cut ending was the first I ever saw. Not too surprising being in England as I think that was the ending incorporated into all non US releases of the film. However, the version of the film I saw was a dodgy version at my next door neighbour's house a year or so before the film was released over here. So I'd have thought it would be the US S-Mart version.

Oh and I seem to remember the name of the film being The Medieval Dead (possibly subtitled, as in Army of Darkness: The Medieval Dead, but my memory might be wrong.)

Anyway I have a soft spot for that film. The second is my favourite, but Army of Darkness was my first Evil Dead film. And I think the Windmill stuff* and the bit just after where Ash literally 'splits' is up there with the films at their most entertaining and wackiest.

I actually watched them all out of order- 3rd, second then first.

*Annoying fuzzy in my DVD of the film. I've heard the best release of this film is region 4. I'd still like to pick up one if I can.

Mabs

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 March, 2013, 08:57:46 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 20 March, 2013, 05:55:04 PM
I like both endings if i'm honest; the twist ending is very evocative of Planet of the Apes somewhat, while the S-Mart ending is also a blast (literally!). If i had to choose.........S-Mart!

I like both endings too.

I'd go with the Director's Cut ending though as it goes well with the themes of Ash smegging things up. And I like the idea that it would lead to a post apocalyptic sci-fi based Evil Dead 4 (they did fantasy in the third film so why not!). The S-Mart ending was a blast though.

Actually, the Director's Cut ending was the first I ever saw. Not too surprising being in England as I think that was the ending incorporated into all non US releases of the film. However, the version of the film I saw was a dodgy version at my next door neighbour's house a year or so before the film was released over here. So I'd have thought it would be the US S-Mart version.

Oh and I seem to remember the name of the film being The Medieval Dead (possibly subtitled, as in Army of Darkness: The Medieval Dead, but my memory might be wrong.)

Anyway I have a soft spot for that film. The second is my favourite, but Army of Darkness was my first Evil Dead film. And I think the Windmill stuff* and the bit just after where Ash literally 'splits' is up there with the films at their most entertaining and wackiest.

I actually watched them all out of order- 3rd, second then first.

*Annoying fuzzy in my DVD of the film. I've heard the best release of this film is region 4. I'd still like to pick up one if I can.

Lol that's exactly the order i watched it in too!  :D

I think that's why i have a soft spot for the third film, too. You're right about the windmill scene and the scene following it; it's some of the most awesome and side splitting (literally) moments in the film, along with the Harryhausen-esque war in the end (which i prefer over the Two Towers battle at Helms Deep!). Like i stated before, some of the stop motion animation in the film are mindblowingly good, especially the multiple Ash scene!  :lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mardroid

:) And for me, 'BOOM! "Not that good,' works better than 'BOOM! "Good... bad... I'm the man with the gun"'.

Mabs

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 March, 2013, 10:23:19 PM
:) And for me, 'BOOM! "Not that good,' works better than 'BOOM! "Good... bad... I'm the man with the gun"'.
:D, that film has so many funny lines which crack me up!

My Twitter @nexuswookie