Main Menu

Zeta Comics looking for kids comics pitches

Started by Emperor, 20 March, 2011, 10:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Should interest a few folks although the project needs to be finished, which might be tricky but still... if you have an idea it might be worth speaking to them. No idea who they are mind, so it might be an idea to ask around.:

QuoteZETA COMICS IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS:
COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS & Illustrated Children's Books

Zeta Comics is all about publishing all-ages, creator-owned projects in the growing market of digital and printed comics and children's books. We have an insatiable craving for science fiction and fantasy stories that are irreverent, unconventional or just plain propellant laced genre busters for all ages.

Our preference is to work with assembled creative teams that have finished the illustrations for a children's book of at least 24 pages or completed an issue in a comics series of at least 3 issues. We are primarily interested in full-color projects, but proposals for black-and-white projects could also be given the nod. Since we have a strong digital publishing channel, we'll look at a wide variety of formats and get creative about publishing it if your story inspires us.

What's so special about being Published by Zeta Comics?

Well, we focus on a broader distribution network, meaning we'll convert your book into whatever format is required for IVERSE, GRAPHIC.LY, ePub ereaders, Kindle or iPad, iPhone and Android mobile devices. We also offer Print on Demand through Amazon (US, CDN and UK) and BarnesandNobles.com and about 94 other online book retailers. Which means once an order is placed through an online store, we print the copies to fill that order and have them shipped directly to the retailer. Being so strong in digital distribution means we can get your book in front of a market of 50 Million plus book buyers a month. Ya, that's big. Real big.

To learn more about our submission guidelines follow the link:

http://02f15ac.netsolhost.com/WordPress/?p=892

www.zetacomics.com

http://downthetubes.ning.com/forum/topics/kids-comics-looking-for
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Pauul

Hmm. This sounds pretty cool.

Are there any artists on the board who might be interested in collaborating on a submission for this?

I know a full issue is a lot of work, any word on how many pages they want per issue?

I think it might actually be a lot of fun to put together a superhero comic book actually aimed at kids.

Wil

Very interesting. I'm currently trying to finish up another issue of my own little all-ages comic.

Still got to do the colours on this page.

Boy, whoever said it would be easy corralling a group of people to contribute to an anthology for nothing?

Issue one here if anyone's interested http://issuu.com/smartbomb/docs/smartbomb01

I've always thought it would be great to try and do a 21st century version of silver/bronze age, decompressed, superheroics. 'They're too powerful for comics - you can only see them in AtomiX!'

I'll get me coat.

Professor Bear

GAAAH!  Furries!

I'd say what Zeta are asking for (22 finished comic pages, preferably colour) wouldn't be beyond anyone serious about getting published.  The only sticking-point would be that there are so many self-publishing options available that there's little by way of enticement to sign up for what they're offering - 10-13 percent of digital distribution profits is far too much given that any creator dedicated enough to their work can push it online as well as any unknown publisher with a minimal marketing presence could.  There are also plenty of print-on-demand options available to anyone who can't afford a regular print run.

QuoteI've always thought it would be great to try and do a 21st century version of silver/bronze age, decompressed, superheroics. 'They're too powerful for comics - you can only see them in AtomiX!'

Axe Cop, Age of the Sentry, Action Comics, Strange Tales - all way ahead of you there.

Wil

Umm, I'd say that none of those titles you mention really do that. They're all either pastiches or mickey takes.

Anyway, never thought I was the first one to have that thought.

Sorry about the furries. It's not a furry comic by any stretch.

Emperor

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 March, 2011, 02:35:32 PM
GAAAH!  Furries!

I'd say what Zeta are asking for (22 finished comic pages, preferably colour) wouldn't be beyond anyone serious about getting published.  The only sticking-point would be that there are so many self-publishing options available that there's little by way of enticement to sign up for what they're offering - 10-13 percent of digital distribution profits is far too much given that any creator dedicated enough to their work can push it online as well as any unknown publisher with a minimal marketing presence could.  There are also plenty of print-on-demand options available to anyone who can't afford a regular print run.

After reading through what they offer, that'd be my concern - you can do what they are offering to do yourself.

Now it might be you'd do better with a "publisher" helping to get more eyeballs on your work than if you just put it out there yourself, but if that was your concern then you could set-up some kind of... collective, like the folks at Sweatdrop Studios have done.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Pauul

QuoteI've always thought it would be great to try and do a 21st century version of silver/bronze age, decompressed, superheroics.

Kinda what I was thinking.

I've had a cool idea for a character for a while called Kid Prospero but I've not been sure what to do with him.

I'd love to do something inspired by Marvel and DC's all ages comics, after all, when characters like Spider-man started out they were aimed at kids.

Emperor

I'd like a British superhero anthology that is dirty and deranged and, hopefully, appalling common human decency. Seriously, we British made superheroes interesting again, we should have a number of superhero anthologies.

Kevin McHugh was going to start a Post Human comics anthology but it never came off:

http://kmchugh.blogspot.com/2006/08/post-human-solution.html

Pauul

QuoteI'd like a British superhero anthology that is dirty and deranged and, hopefully, appalling common human decency. Seriously, we British made superheroes interesting again, we should have a number of superhero anthologies.

I like deconstructionist superhero strips too, I even submitted one to Flux... but the character was apparently too Superman like (which was sort of the point, if you're going to deconstruct the superhero he is pretty much archetype for the genre).

Maybe I'll be able to do something with the idea at a later date.

Still, despite that, doing a kids friendly hero still appeals to me.

Emperor

Quote from: Pauul on 26 March, 2011, 11:23:35 AM
QuoteI'd like a British superhero anthology that is dirty and deranged and, hopefully, appalling common human decency. Seriously, we British made superheroes interesting again, we should have a number of superhero anthologies.

I like deconstructionist superhero strips too, I even submitted one to Flux... but the character was apparently too Superman like (which was sort of the point, if you're going to deconstruct the superhero he is pretty much archetype for the genre).

Maybe I'll be able to do something with the idea at a later date.

It is a bit like saying "Sorry Alan this Marvelman is a bit too similar to Captain Marvel" ;)

Quote from: Pauul on 26 March, 2011, 11:23:35 AMStill, despite that, doing a kids friendly hero still appeals to me.

Yes there definitely seems room for a couple - a more back to basics anthology of superheroes and masked adventurers and one that drags the genre off up an alley and does unmentionable things to it.

Pauul

Well, in defense of Flux's editor, it isn't like I'm a known writer. My work could easily be dismissed as a rip off of Superman.

Hopefully if I'm able to get another strip published in Flux (and the editor has pretty much agreed to publish one of my strips - I just need to find an artist) then he might have a bit more confidance in my ability as a writer to give the superhero strip a real chance.

Pauul

Well, in the wake of Disney stopping Panini from producing original content involving their characters, a discussion about kids comics has started up on Millarworld.

I mentioned Zeta Comics, so thanks again Emperor.

I'm still developing my Kid Prospero idea and there has been some discussion of pitching to a publisher a group of shared universe characters over on Millarworld - which does seem interesting.

I think some people forget that Spider-man, Superman and even Batman were originally aimed at children.

I can't be the only writer on here that thinks writing for the next generation would be a cool idea? I have a baby brother (well, half brother) who turned one year old last month and I can't help but wonder what he's going to grow up reading.