Main Menu

Your ideal local comic/game shop.

Started by KingdomOfAdventure, 08 August, 2008, 09:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

I forgot about the PRC play music licence in shops.This used to be a 120 quid years ago but no doubt it is probably a lot more than that.I dont know of another music licensing organisation apart from PRC though.

As for the books on shelves they are mostly displayed with the spine facing out which is better in my opinion.Some are displayed with the cover facing out though but not many.

I wouldnt even consider employing anyone that doesnt have an interest and knowledge of the medium myself.That would be a waste of everyones time and how would they be able to answer questions ?

"Errr..... Dont Know". They are better off working in Tesco or something.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

QuoteI try and keep my Star Wars opinion to myself in the main unless I'm with friends... Saying a product is crap or whatever really isn't the best thing for a retailer that sells that product should be doing...

That's the best way to be.

It was just kidding. It was a little Spaced reference really. (Funny scene.)

KingdomOfAdventure

Quote from: "peterwolf"I forgot about the PRC play music licence in shops.This used to be a 120 quid years ago but no doubt it is probably a lot more than that.I dont know of another music licensing organisation apart from PRC though.
As for the books on shelves they are mostly displayed with the spine facing out which is better in my opinion.Some are displayed with the cover facing out though but not many.
I wouldnt even consider employing anyone that doesnt have an interest and knowledge of the medium myself.That would be a waste of everyones time and how would they be able to answer questions ?
Music is a bit of a can of worms that I'm looking for some advice on (not here obviously, unless someone has that knowledge?).
There are 2 different licenses.  To quote the PPL website...
"Why obtaining a PRS or MCPS licence is not enough.
Please note that PPL is not the same as the Performing Right Society (PRS), the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) or the MCPS-PRS Alliance.
Whenever a sound recording or music video is played in public or broadcast in the UK, a PRS licence is likely to be required in addition to a licence from PPL.  Similarly, you are likely to need a PPL licence as well as an MCPS licence to copy a sound recording or music video in the UK.
This is because the law protects separately the underlying musical and lyrical compositions (e.g. the "song") embodied in sound recordings and music videos.  The rights in those musical and lyrical works are owned separately (by composers/publishers) and licensed collectively on behalf of those separate copyright owners by PRS and MCPS (who operate together as the MCPS-PRS Alliance)."
Quote from: "Chris Mardle"It was just kidding. It was a little Spaced reference really. (Funny scene.)
Yeah I thought it might be that.  Top show.
Tel : 01592 328121
21-23 Whytescauseway, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1XF

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "escapistthx"
Quote from: "peterwolf"I forgot about the PRC play music licence in shops.This used to be a 120 quid years ago but no doubt it is probably a lot more than that.I dont know of another music licensing organisation apart from PRC though.
Music is a bit of a can of worms that I'm looking for some advice on (not here obviously, unless someone has that knowledge?).
There are 2 different licenses.  To quote the PPL website...
"Why obtaining a PRS or MCPS licence is not enough.
Please note that PPL is not the same as the Performing Right Society (PRS), the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) or the MCPS-PRS Alliance.
Whenever a sound recording or music video is played in public or broadcast in the UK, a PRS licence is likely to be required in addition to a licence from PPL.  Similarly, you are likely to need a PPL licence as well as an MCPS licence to copy a sound recording or music video in the UK.
This is because the law protects separately the underlying musical and lyrical compositions (e.g. the "song") embodied in sound recordings and music videos.  The rights in those musical and lyrical works are owned separately (by composers/publishers) and licensed collectively on behalf of those separate copyright owners by PRS and MCPS (who operate together as the MCPS-PRS Alliance)."
Quote from: "Chris Mardle"It was just kidding. It was a little Spaced reference really. (Funny scene.)
Yeah I thought it might be that.  Top show.

How many licences ??

How things have changed.

What the recording industry has lost in terms of music sales plus the fact they are losing because of downloading they will claw back in licence fees.

Its pathetic really because shops wont pay the licences to play music in shops.

I know an example of this that happened right on my doorstep.In the local Threshers theres a young guy who works there who always played very good music in the shop but Threshers had to stop that as they wont pay for all the licences and thats what is happening everywhere.

You can have a radio on and there is nothing they can do about that.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

KingdomOfAdventure

Definite topic tangent here!
{Tangent ON}
Quote from: "peterwolf"You can have a radio on and there is nothing they can do about that.
That's not 100% correct.
If that radio is used in an enclosed office that customers don't get to hear (i.e. is not audible by the general public) then yes you're right.  As soon as it is classed as being broadcast to customers/general public then you need a license.
{Tangent OFF}
Tel : 01592 328121
21-23 Whytescauseway, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1XF