Main Menu

Prog 2047 - Shoots You, Sir!

Started by A.Cow, 02 September, 2017, 02:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: user2000 on 05 September, 2017, 09:03:06 PM
Lucky for you guys, mine hardly EVER comes on the Saturday now.

Got it this morning (Tuesday) though.

One more prog and my sub is over and I can rely on my fix on Wednesdays without getting annoyed with the first world problem of the local postal service!

Went through a spate of that but it seems to have settled down.  Been a long time since this has happened.  Now Wednesday and still not turned up.  Wondering if postie has delivered it to wrong address.  Wouldn't be a first.   Several similarly named streets round here and there is the odd mix up but usually we just drop 'em round quickly.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Smith on 06 September, 2017, 08:57:05 AM
Im sure its not intended as such,but Greysuit is downright hilarious.With its talk about Twitter and Tor and Dark Web.Its CSI Cyber on crack.  :)

Put like that, it sounds more like having your Grandad quoting stuff he's vaguely heard that the young people are into. :P

Frank

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 06 September, 2017, 09:13:23 PM
Im sure its not intended as such,but Greysuit is downright hilarious.With its talk about Twitter and Tor and Dark Web.Its CSI Cyber on crack.  :)

Put like that, it sounds more like having your Grandad quoting stuff he's vaguely heard that the young people are into. :P

The joke is that the character is a grandad* discussing stuff he's heard about but only vaguely understands. Depeche-toi.

After episode one of War Buds, I said Dan Cornwell was great on character but maybe wasn't so confident handling big visuals. After this week's episode, it's clear I have no idea what I'm talking about.

That cornea-warping cityscape recalls the impossible perspective of Ron Smith and Kim Raymond, yet the facing page offers a South wall that looks more solid, forbidding and immense than any version we've seen before.

Impressive, assured work, and the character acting I loved so much in part one is even better here.

I couldn't have picked the members of the Apocalypse Squad out of a line up, never mind name them, but Cornwell's invested their sagging jowels and bellies with more individual personality than reams of back story about gas masked nuns and clockwork daddy issues can achieve.

So I've become invested in the individual fortunes of the Jolly Boys just in time to watch them being murdered individually**, as the advertised Road to Texas turns into the road to Basra.

* It's actually a Twitter maven pretending to be a technological pygmy, doubling and twisting the joke back in on itself, like a Möbius strip.

** The laws of dramatic irony mean [spoiler]Costa's[/spoiler] probably going to be the lone survivor of the outing.

dancornwell

norton canes

Cover: Very Invisibles.

Dredd: A simple story, but so well-told. I always get the impression with other Dredd writers that they're trying really hard to prove themselves worthy of the accolade, and sometimes too hard. John Wagner, of course, does not have to do this, and as a consequence his stories flow so effortlessly.

The Alienist: The first couple of episodes were decent enough but I've really grown to like this since then, as the story becomes more intriguing and the boundaries between the good guys and the bad guys remains blurred.

Greysuit: Why does this get six pages? 

Mechastopheles: Not so much an extended Future Shock, more a pilot for a full series? Potential sabotage aboard a walking robot demon... yeah, I'd be up for more.

Hope: Gaze into the face of fear!! So often the highlight of the prog, it's riding high again. Though I might have to have a re-read to understand exactly what's going on in the last page.

Smith

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 06 September, 2017, 09:13:23 PM

But everyone talks like that here.Except Blake who started outright yelling: Wake up,sheeple!  :lol:

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 07 September, 2017, 11:28:49 AM
Greysuit: Why does this get six pages? 

Because people complained when American Reaper got half the meg devoted to it, month after month :)

Arkady

Dredd - is that 'Brexit Block' partly obscured by a speech bubble?

moly

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night