General Chat > Off Topic

The Black Dog Thread

<< < (112/122) > >>

Hawkmumbler:
Not entirely certain where I should post this but the domain of the Black Dog feels as good as any.
I've decided to go dry for awhile. Not indefinite teetotalism, but certainly a good long cold turkey. I don't think I'm alone in the last year in drinking more than is probably wise, it was a staple activity of the trapped. But certainly in the last two months, with a lot of things in life causing great deals of stress and anguish, I've found myself hitting the bottle harder than is wise. Often this manifests simply as a 'oh fuck, what a day, pass me a six pack' which is honestly a slippery slope, and I just got tired of waking up with a hangover on a work day. I used to be pretty disciplined in this regard, so the goal is to get back to that mentality before taking another sip. Could be months, could be years. I don't know, but certainly I knew I had to enforce some kind of change.

sheridan:
The first step is recognising that you (could) have a problem, so good luck in reducing alcohol intake!

Tjm86:

--- Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 28 June, 2021, 11:07:05 AM ---I don't think I'm alone in the last year in drinking more than is probably wise, it was a staple activity of the trapped. But certainly in the last two months, with a lot of things in life causing great deals of stress and anguish, I've found myself hitting the bottle harder than is wise.

--- End quote ---

Nope, most definitely not.  Like you, I've seen a sharp uptick in 'self-medicating' of late.  Not the best when I consider the dangerous side effects, particularly if I'm heading for the 'spiral'.

So here's a challenge ... how long can we go?  Start the clock today?  First target - get through to next Monday? You up for it?

The Legendary Shark:

Black dog bit me hard today. Walking around like nothing matters. Everyone sleepwalking into a monstrous dark future, lost in lies, half-truths and fear. Fear everywhere, leading the world by the nose. Nobody wants to look, nobody wants to listen. Found myself thinking that if today my heart finally did give out and I moved on, wouldn't be a bad thing. Least I'll miss all the horrors in store. Haven't felt so hopeless, so lost, in nearly a decade. Hard to stay focused. Hard not to brood. Do not want to slip back into that darkness I felt before but it's like a flood. Not sure how much longer I can stay afloat. Talking to a couple of trusted people helped a bit. Not much. Got to hang on, though. Got to beat it. Done it before, can do it again. Can do it again. Have to.

Funt Solo:
Sorry to hear you're feeling blue, Shark. You do write very well, I notice. Where I am, we are having a record-breaking heat wave, and my keyboard is getting tacky from all the chem-sprays they use in the building these days. I'm worried about my wife and daughter, who went up river camping a couple of days ago, outside of cell range. I mean - I'm sure they'll be fine, but it doesn't stop me from worrying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version