Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Sounds fantastic. The only Tyranny Rex text story I can remember much about is 'Touched By the Hand of Brendan', and that was illustrated by Mark Buckingham, so I will be very keen (and not remotely envious, oh, no, no, no!) to see your haul. Paul Marshall was such a fantastic artist in his 'ultra-detailed' phase - he's still good, but his style is much more pared down.

For my part, I got the 'Black Hawk' page that was up on eBay at the same time as the Bisley stuff and the Prog 2 Dan Dare. Can't beat a bit of Belardinelli magic.

opaque

I think both of them went for fairly decent prices :)

Link Prime

Very nice Greg, I was ogling that Belardinelli page meself.

I totally agree with you about Marshall's artistic style change by the way...I much preferred his earlier work (Firekind being his apex) but still rate him very highly.
I remember being very disappointed by the looseness of his work on Leatherjack, a style he hasn't really shook off since.
Was Dredd mini epic 'Darkside' his last old style stuff?

Greg M.

QuoteWas Dredd mini epic 'Darkside' his last old style stuff?

I haven't read 'Darkside' in ages (it must be due in a couple of Case Files' time?) but I seem to recall that even as early as that he'd switched to his contemporary style. I kinda think Tyranny Rex itself was the last of 'classic' Marshall.

Link Prime

You may be right there. Must re-read Darkside at some stage too.
The only downside of course is that there's a very limited supply of 'classic' Marshall out there, being hoovered up by the distinguished connoisseur as I type....

YOURE A DEAD MAN GREG, YOU HEAR ME???? DEAD!!!!   :lol:

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 March, 2013, 09:53:45 PM
YOURE A DEAD MAN GREG, YOU HEAR ME???? DEAD!!!!   :lol:

Wait, let's team up and take down the man himself! I think he's still got all his own 'Firekind' pages, possibly guarded by a Hronoth. Once you help me break into the Marshall:sphere , I can stab you in the back and use the pages to make a 'Scrooge McDuck'-style swimming pool of art we can divvy up the loot sensibly.

Link Prime

:lol:

Mods help....I think he's 14% serious...!

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 March, 2013, 10:06:06 PM
I can stab you in the back and use the pages to make a 'Scrooge McDuck'-style swimming pool of art

And so, on that faithful day, the epic 'War of the Marshalls' began.
Our hero valiantly cracked two of Greg Ms villainous ribs with this opening assault; a fully painted Tyranny Rex splash page.

Link Prime

Hoping to seal his fate with a one-two-punch, a handsome splash page from Dredd epic 'Darkside' was next produced.
Featuring 'The Mutant' from the apocalyptic year 2120 (coincidentally the same year futurists predict that the hated Greg M will have gotten over being usurped by a cooler collection of Paul Marshall artwork).

hippynumber1

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 April, 2013, 12:31:43 PM
I can stab you in the back and use the pages to make a 'Scrooge McDuck'-style swimming pool of art

Our hero valiantly cracked two of Greg Ms villainous ribs with this opening assault; a fully painted Tyranny Rex splash page.

Beautiful...

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 April, 2013, 12:31:43 PM

More great stuff here Link - do you have a CAF page yet?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Sweet couple of pages there, Mr Link.

Pete Wells

Cor just caught up with the last 15 pages in this thread. I just want toasting hate the lot of yer.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Skullmo on 31 March, 2013, 08:42:01 PM
If you are disappointed to miss out on the Bisley art that sold recently then you can always get this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROB-LIEFELD-YOUNGBLOOD-2-COVER-ART-1992-HISTORIC-COVER-featuring-PROPHET-/181110818977?afsrc=1   :P

bloody hell - last bid $5,220 - reserve not met  :o

Skullmo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2001/apr/08/alternativeinvestments.personalfinancenews

Not sure how much of this article is 'wow it was so cheap' and how much is 'this journalist is talking balls'. I can see a few errors before we even get on to those 2001 prices!
It's a joke. I was joking.