Main Menu

The Dredd Phenomena

Started by James Stacey, 05 October, 2010, 04:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780951399774/The-Dredd-Phenomena
Has anyone read this? Any idea what it's about / any good?
I'll probably spuff £6 on it either way but was wondering if others have encountered it.

Dandontdare

The only info I can find is a user reveiw on Amazon:

QuoteThis is an enjoyable book for fans of Judge Dredd, 2000AD and the "Brit Pack" group of writers who have emerged from that comic over the past 20 or so years, but contains very little insight. It is far too preachy for its own good, and the writer, while obviously having great affection for his subject matter, clearly hasn't read that much of it.
For completists of Dredd paraphenalia only. Judge Dredd: The Mega History is a far more worthy tome for academics to get their teeth into.

Hmmm. Do we know any "completists of Dredd paraphenalia"?  :D

Apparently the author is a history professor at Bath Spa University

SmallBlueThing

Got this when it came out, over ten years ago. Very interesting book detailing the political history of the strip, the comic, and 70s and 80s comics in general. You'll either love or hate it depending on your political leanings. I loved it.
SBT

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 October, 2010, 05:03:20 PM
Got this when it came out, over ten years ago. Very interesting book detailing the political history of the strip, the comic, and 70s and 80s comics in general. You'll either love or hate it depending on your political leanings. I loved it.
SBT

It sounds interesting from your critique because i am really interested in the politics of MC1 but look at the difference between your review and the review posted above from Amazon.

I think i am inclined to take your word for it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

An interesting read but one I will not be repeating in a hurry  ;)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 October, 2010, 05:29:58 PM
An interesting read but one I will not be repeating in a hurry  ;)

Could you explain in some more detail ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SmallBlueThing

I think that amazon review roughly translates as 'wahh! nasty man doesnt like mrs thatcher! booo! dont ruin my comics with politicky things i dont understand!'

But no, it's a slight book it's true, but definitely worth a read, if only to get narked over...
SBT

satchmo

I got it from a car boot sale years and years ago, its worth a look definitely. But shouldn't it be called The Dredd Phenomenon? I feel an angry email to the book depository coming on ;)