Main Menu

What sort of comics do you like?

Started by Roger Godpleton, 27 September, 2010, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Anything but superhero (apart from the occasional Batman). Horror's my bag, with a generous dollop of sci-fi. Recent favourites include Impaler (the Timson run), Mezolith, Fell and - despite its overly wordy and expositiony nature - the Walking Dead.

Dreddzilla

I've always been a fan of the ''super'' book, but latly I find myself likeing other things more (Walking Dead, The Boys, Chew, Manga)

maryanddavid

I like the whole 2000ad effort, and like SBT, 70s and 80s british titles, mostly from the IPC Stable.
As Tord has said, Dan Dare and the Trigan Empire, the pinnacle of British comic art, with the Man from Nowhere as one of the best comic stories ever published, pure class.
Manga, not my cup of tea, I have a nephew that is well into it and read a few of his, couldnt get it. I had a few of the original EPIC Akira, which I gave to him he was well happy.
European comics is an area Id like to get more of, Asterix I have got since a child and its great, TinTin, cant see what the fuss is about.
I have read bits of Bilal, Mobius, Manara and they have on the whole been pretty good, I would like to get more, but they are kinda hard to get and a bit expensive, reccomendations appreciated.

American/Superhero, I have read all the 'greats' like Year One, Ronin, Watchmen, etc etc and they are well worth reading but...there is a thought in the back of my head that there is something wrong with superhero books.
I know the following could be levelled at 2000ad but. Back in the early eighties American comics could be found around seaside towns in the summertime. The handfull I got at the time were great and treasured items fully aimed at my 8-10 year old self.  I find it difficult to return to these monthly comics now and see them killing and cursing etc. Dont get me wrong Im no prude, I have read the Killing Joke,  and I can accept that its a special issue and not one of the regular issues. Its nearly like picking up the new issue of Roy of the Rovers and find Roy having sex with a prostitute and doing lines of coke in the toilet, it just dosent fit with the character.
Anyway it make some sence in my head, the only superhero book I have bought lately is the Superman one by Morrison and Quietly, and it was great.

Other American comics I like is anything by Eisner, I did like the first couple of Vols of Cerebus, but I lost it after Church and State 2 I think. Walking dead is pure class, a lot of Vertigo's output is good too, Preacher, Y the last man, 100 Bullets etc all float my boat. I have read some Fables and DMZ and they seem good.

Im a late convert to newspaper comics, but on a rec from PVS a few years back I bought Jeff Hawke, and it is great, Im joining the fan club as soon as I get around to it. Its another area I could do with rec for, I have got some early Flash Gordon, and they are good, but do show their age. Calvin and HobbS is good fun as well, I havent read them in a long time, a real college thing. Still waiting for that Curley Wee collection, apparently there was an annual in the forties!!

Licenced stuff never did it for me, I have read a bit of Star Wars  House of Hammer and Dr Who(thanks to Colin) but more for the artwork, the whole concept of licenced fees a bit secondhand, an I loiks me comics new!

David

puggdogg

My favourite is The Phantom. I started collecting the FREW publications back in '94. Moonstone Books did very well with the character. They even hired me to work on it. Now Dynamite Entertainment have stolen the license to the Ghost Who Walks.

I also collect all the Goon trades. Man oh man I don't know what to say about those books. Pure awesomeness.

Apart from that I'm slowly collecting the 2000AD trades. I'd like to subscribe to the progs and megazines but it'd cost me about $500 (Australian).

klute

Ummmm im not sure..... i really like the old 80's 2000ad comics and pretty much a wide range of super hero comics from marvel,dc,image and a few independents i like a mix of art and story.....i mainly collect/read comics from the 70's/80's and buy a few titles that have carried on into the 00's

What i dont like and i suspect a few of us have been vitim of now and again is an artist/writer that starts a series and after a few issues leaves the series and just leaves it hanging which leaves you with 2 issues of character development and a series that you could sink your teeth into now having no continuation :(
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Daveycandlish

I grew up reading my dad's old Eagles and whatever he bought for me at the weekend, I can remember following the adventures in Victor, Battle, Roy of the Rovers, Tornado, Scream, 80s Eagle and, of course, 2000AD

Because I grew up on these, I never really got superheroes, and still don't. I prefer the likes of Jonah Hex, Chew, Walking Dead and Jack Staff (the exception to the rule)

I find a lot more fun to be had in the small press stuff these days, what with Bolt and the gang (wasn't that a 70s disco group?) doing ZARJAZ, etc; WEST by the angrycandy boys; BULLDOG CLIPS the relaunched adventures of Captain Winston Bulldog by Jason Cobley; FETISHMAN the gimp suited wannabe superhero who gets too excited by being beaten up to do any hero work; and my own small press
QuoteWarrior
, PARAGON

Are there any small press comics any of you would recommend? Who should I track down?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

mogzilla

the usual suspects of tin tin asterix and lucky luke ,loving "grandville" and trying to get hold of the collected trigan empire without having to remortgage.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: mogzilla on 07 October, 2010, 06:26:00 PM
Lucky luke

Keep meaning to check out Lucky Luke. Hasn't a company recently started re-releasing them in English?

Jared Katooie

dweezil2

Personally I'm not a big fan of 'Costume' character strips, unless they subvert the genre somewhat-The Ultimates, The Boys or Zenith for example.
I prefer my strips super-power free.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo