Main Menu

Disowned artwork by Carlos Ezquerra on sale on EBay

Started by rogue69, 03 July, 2017, 09:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Carlos Ezquerra has posted on this on his Facebook page about a Strontium Dog page on sale on EBay

WARNING! if someone is thinking in buying this page in Ebay, is not mine, it was originally but after been exposed to the sun the ink had faded and some amateurish "artist" have been filling with black the outlines and the black areas, so the page is destroyed, my artwork have disappeared totally and that page is NOT mine. Now is after you.

obviously the seller disagrees with Carlos
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlos-Ezquerra-2000AD-Original-Comic-Art-Strontium-Dog/152608956181?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Tjm86

True, but at least the seller was honest enough to include Mr Ezquerra's comments on the listing.  Not many would be that scrupulous.

SIP

I'm wondering whether it has been re inked....my Steve dillon page is a bit like this (not as severe). Obviously he used two different types of ink, one has lightened, the other hasn't.  Anyone compared this to the printed page?

Richard

He's updated the listing, but you can only see that if you click the "read more" button. If you don't (and this may be eBay's fault not his, but it's still misleading) it just says "I can confirm it is original and unaltered."

Richard

SIP

matty_ae

Tjm86

Quote from: SIP on 03 July, 2017, 02:33:54 PM
That's incredibly cheap for an ezquerra page.

Very true, even for a 'lesser' tale.

SIP

Yeah, without the controversy what would this go for, £450-£500 maybe?

Tjm86

I paid a little over £500 for my Stainless Steel Rat page.  Well worth it.

Leigh S

Quote from: SIP on 03 July, 2017, 11:55:01 AM
I'm wondering whether it has been re inked....my Steve dillon page is a bit like this (not as severe). Obviously he used two different types of ink, one has lightened, the other hasn't.  Anyone compared this to the printed page?

Far be it from me to argue with Carlos, but I had the same thought - the black lines seem a bit random for a restoration job, but seem to match the thicker lines of the original art well enough - hard to tell from the pics in the auction, mind

SIP

Looks to me like Carlos painted on all the black areas with Indian ink and they have remained dark, then done all of the fine detail with a disposable drawing pen. I've got my own black and white pictures from the 80's that I did the same way- and they look exactly like this.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that someone would just specifically go over the mass-blacks and ignore every "detail" line. If you are going to tamper with it, it certainly wouldn't be difficult to trace the detail lines.......as long as you have a little patience.

But, I would certainly defer to Carlos. If he says it ain't so, then so be it.

Think someone might get a bargain though......

Jacqusie

My page from Outlaw has done exactly the same sadly - there are some areas where Carlos has used ink and it has stayed black and there are other where it looks like felt tip has faded. I know I'm an idiot for letting it get direct sunlight, but I bought it years ago when I was just so happy I had one of his pages that I hung it proudly on my wall... which got the evening sun...

I wonder if this RAGE page has indeed been subjected to the same process? Sadly it looks that way.

o1s1n

Felt marker fades unfortunately, it looks like that's what has happened here. I've a bit of this across some of my John Hicklenton pages.

Can really see it in this one;

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=950533

Jim_Campbell

A possibility for future reference is to get hold of a product like Acrylite OP-3 for framing artwork. It's a kind of clear perspex that reduces UV 98% and should mitigate sun-bleaching to a decent degree.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.