Main Menu

Dead Man vs Tour of Duty - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Quarter Final 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 April, 2021, 06:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I've just re-read The Dead Man after listening to Conrad and Fox discuss it on their podcast.  Even without the reveal, it's a perfect little story - a perfect script with perfectly-suited art, and it was really nice to see [spoiler]Dredd's weird-looking bionic eyes[/spoiler] acting as a useful plot-point.

Obviously Tour of Duty is brilliant, and far denser a story, but I'm going with The Dead Man.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Huey2

Funt Solo

The Dead Man is great, but it's not a stand-alone epic, as it is essentially part of Necropolis. My vote goes to that stalwart of late 80s television, the serialized 'Nam epic Tour of Duty. Bandanas in the jungle, man!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

GoGilesGo

Martin Sinfield exits stage left, his cape unfurling as he leaves the frame.

Fade to black.

TITLE CARD - Tour of Duty

AlexF

TDM is seed 2 because I read it in weekly installments when I was 11 with no idea of the reveal, plus the horror of it all shit me right up in a way that lingers.
I guess it's not 'epic' in the scale of ToD but 13 weeks in pre-teen years is worth about 1 year of being 30-something.

Rogue Judge

The Dead Man.

I only read this for the first time about 4 years ago but was still surprised by the reveal. I managed to avoid explicit spoilers, but knew enough to read it before the CF with Necropolis (thanks to this forum). Knowing it was Dredd related, I assumed/guessed that the Dead Man was a Dredd clone, maybe Rico (who I knew of from recent progs). I was wrong [spoiler]the Dead Man was Dredd!! [/spoiler] and my mind continued to be blown moving into Necropolis. Maybe not a true epic, but the Dead Man is a favorite read each revisit.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: AlexF on 06 April, 2021, 08:07:41 PM
TDM is seed 2 because I read it in weekly installments when I was 11 with no idea of the reveal, plus the horror of it all shit me right up in a way that lingers.
I guess it's not 'epic' in the scale of ToD but 13 weeks in pre-teen years is worth about 1 year of being 30-something.

Awesome memory! I wish I could have read it as a youth for the first time instead of being 30. Still, I had just moved from Marvel to 2000ad and found the horror and B&W art unsettling (in a good way!).

I'm tempted to give my 10 year old nephew a copy of the Dead Man and changing his life forever...but his mother would never have it!

Dr Feeley Good

DrJomster

Tour of duty as it's more epic. The Dead Man is awesome but a bit short for full epic points.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

broodblik

The Dead Man is a great story but still serves as a intro into Necropolis
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

This one is coming to an end - The Dead Man will have looked nervously at the fate of America and wonder if it can defy the idea its neither Dredd nor an Epic. Its having a late surge in votes and so... who knows. If you want to affect result get your votes in today and I'll count up in the morning.