Main Menu

Origins vs Necropolis - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Quarter Final 3

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 April, 2021, 06:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Okay so instead of my normal blather I'll intro this one with some logistics. Quarter finals. I've matched pairings by taking the highest Seed and putting it against the lowest Seed. One a day (with play-offs running along side) 3 days for these ones. Winners in the semis, losers into a play-off for positions 12-5... you're confused - look I'm running this thing and I'm hanging on by my fingernails too!

Seed 3 Origins - Progs 1500-1504; 1505-1519; 1529-1535

Vs

Seed 9 Necropolis - Progs 662 - 699

Still with the simple purity of popping the name of the Epic you prefer in a reply to this thread (remember to mark it clearly so I can spot it - bold tags are good) and then say whatever the heck you like to about these two great stories.

We're 3 day votes for these ones so this one will close first thing in the morning Saturday 10th April - winner advance to the semis - loser goes into the 12th - 5th place playoff vote.

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

abelardsnazz

Hmmm this is a difficult one. Both pull together many previous threads, have huge legacies, and King Carlos draws all of the main epic. I don't think I can put one above the other, so will abstain.

DrJomster

Interesting one this for me personally as these are two of my more luke warm favourites, still... (although I should add Carlos is excellent as always).

Origins for me. Fascinating piece of "history" there!

Plus, I'm not the biggest Necropolis fan (runs for cover!). Just doesn't grab me... although the Dead Man was blooming excellent!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I find Origins curiously 'flat', so my vote goes for Necropolis- which I didnt overly enjoy at the time but which has grown on me over the intervening centuries.

SBT

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

abstain. chalk vs cheese innit (tho i'm pretty sure which is which).

Barrington Boots

Hugely difficult to call. I'm going for Necropolis - it had such an impact on me as a teenager, whereas Origins was something caught up on. Two tremendous tales though and both definitely epics.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dark Jimbo

As Steev says, I find Origins a bit 'flat' after the excellent prologue, and Booth's drawn so broadly he's impossible to take seriously as a real threat. So, although not without faults of its own, I'm voting Necropolis.
@jamesfeistdraws

milstar

Necropolis. While Origins is historically important for the Dredd's lore, Necropolis blew me away with bone chilling images of MC1. If Necropolis goes head to head with Day of Chaos, I'd still go for Necropolis.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Link Prime

Dr Feeley Good

credo

Necropolis

Fits in so much of the history of Dredd to that point, including Oz and, if you think about it, Cursed Earth. Can also be seen as the last big story of 'classic' era Dredd.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Fantastic as Origins was, I'd have liked to see more of what it was like for normal, everyday folk when their whole world got turned to radioactive ash in a matter of days.

There may well be a bit of progstalgia here, but I'm going with Necropolis.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"