Main Menu

Underappreciated droids appreciation thread

Started by nxylas, 30 October, 2023, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

From the Siku Wikipedia page: "His latest book, Batman is Jesus, is a radical narrative theological perspective of the life and work of Jesus Christ." Reaching, methinks.

Quote from: nxylas on 02 November, 2023, 08:28:26 PMcrossed the gammon bridge
Favorite phrase of the day.

I'd noticed that another underappreciated celeb - Graham Linehan - despite being canceled, is showing up a lot on my YouTube feed from channels with names like "WeAreNotSheeple", "TinFoilHats_R_Us" and "RowlingForCommandant, and being given at least an hour to bang on about how he thinks all trans-folk are violent sexual predators while also being victims of a modern Nazi eugenics scheme and also all being confused gays. (Fuck - make up your mind!)

Because I'm a sucker for a sob story, I sometimes start to feel sorry for him - but then I read his Wikipedia page and it says he posed online first as a trans person (so he could attack from within, sort of thing) and then as a lesbian. See - now I'm feeling even more sorry for him, because it sounds like he's gone pretty barmy.

---

Anyway ... I like the art on American Reaper - so another vote for Langley!
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 02 November, 2023, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: nxylas on 02 November, 2023, 08:28:26 PMcrossed the gammon bridge
Favorite phrase of the day.
Can't take the credit, I'm afraid, it's in fairly widespread use on social media.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2023, 06:42:31 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 06:14:22 PMThe Siku Christianity thing - well, you learn something new every day.

Well, he did do a 'manga' adaptation of the Bible...

To be fair, Bisley did a Bible too, but being Bisley filled it with tits end arses.

Shame about Siku. Didn't he have a brother who wrote one of the Pan African Judges stories? Or was he just credited twice?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

The closest I've ever gotten to reading the Bibble was Robert Crumb's Genesis:

Notice the warning about showing it to minors! Genesis is pretty raw stuff. (Recently, when one of the mad US states decided to ban gayness in school libraries under the guise of child protection, they soon found that they'd also managed to get their bibles banned. I'd laugh if it wasn't so bleak.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 10:08:24 PMShame about Siku. Didn't he have a brother who wrote one of the Pan African Judges stories? Or was he just credited twice?

The manga Bible is credited to Siku as artist and Akinsiku as writer, so I'm figuring they're probably two separate people...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 10:08:24 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2023, 06:42:31 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 06:14:22 PMThe Siku Christianity thing - well, you learn something new every day.

Well, he did do a 'manga' adaptation of the Bible...

To be fair, Bisley did a Bible too, but being Bisley filled it with tits end arses.

Shame about Siku. Didn't he have a brother who wrote one of the Pan African Judges stories? Or was he just credited twice?

Yeah he definitely worked with his brother - I think it was the second Pan African Judges series.

Would anyone think of Paul Marshall as under appreciated? I rejoined the prog in the early 90s after a few years away and his work was always coloured by Dondie Cox, and I really didn't like it. I'm not sure why. But I've really come to see him as an artist that can just deliver the goods - his storytelling is always clear and fluid, his designs are solid, and with someone like Dylan Teague colouring him his stuff looks great. Leatherjack is a favourite of mine - any mad idea John Smith throws at him he tackles perfectly. I had a similar curve with Ron Smith - it took me a while to recognise how brilliant his stuff is.

Blue Cactus

Possibly worth mentioning that Jesus Redondo was seriously underrated in some quarters - notably Titan books not reprinting his Nemesis stuff.

Blue Cactus

Just going to keep posting separate comments here as they come to me, sorry! I wasn't a fan of Jim McCarthy's work for a long while. I wonder if it's because when I rejoined the readership somewhere in the prog 900s he was working on Bix Barton, which I didn't really 'get' at the time, plus Grudgefather which I only caught the tail end of and Kid Cyborg which at the time I thought was rubbish (sorry Kek!). Something about the colouring on Bix just didn't appeal to me too. I appreciate his work a lot more these days. Very distinctive stuff.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2023, 10:41:03 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2023, 10:08:24 PMShame about Siku. Didn't he have a brother who wrote one of the Pan African Judges stories? Or was he just credited twice?

The manga Bible is credited to Siku as artist and Akinsiku as writer, so I'm figuring they're probably two separate people...

Cheers, my memory serves me correctly for once.  I remember when approaching adolescence I used to go straight to the Adam and Eve bit of illustrated Bibles, hoping for an eyeful of nudie Eve.  Only fair - the Catholic Church owed me a bit of sexiness.

I really liked Jim McCarthy in black and white, but not so much in colour. The colours suited that possessed English breakfast story, though, as they kind of like looked like runny egg yolk and baked bean juice anyway.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 02 November, 2023, 10:42:04 PMYeah he definitely worked with his brother - I think it was the second Pan African Judges series.

Would anyone think of Paul Marshall as under appreciated?

Didn't Siku just take on the writing of Pan African Judges himself after Paul Cornell bailed?
The second series was better by a Saharan mile in any case (art-wise too).

Regardless off all other irrelevancies mentioned, he's a great artist, and deserves a nod on this thread.

RE: Paul Marshall - no way I would consider him underappreciated. He's been churning out fantastic pages for decades on a regular basis.
I'd consider him a good when quick / great when slow artist - his best and most detailed work was definitely in the mid-90's.

And I like my Jim McCarthy:
w/ Brett Ewins ✓
In black & white ✓
In queasy colour ✓

nxylas

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 November, 2023, 09:31:40 AMRegardless off all other irrelevancies mentioned, he's a great artist, and deserves a nod on this thread.
Oh, absolutely. There are times when you have to separate the artist from the art, I think. It would be a shame to cancel Siku or Brendan McCarthy over their political views, unless they start using it to inform their work. AFAIK, neither of them has "done a Cleese" and devolved from a talented creator to a partisan hack spewing GB News viewers' prejudices back at them.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Blue Cactus

SMS is a good shout. Some lovely stuff.

I liked Lol's artwork on O'Rourke in the Meg. It was all over the place really but I enjoyed the energy of it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 03 November, 2023, 05:50:45 PMSMS is a good shout. Some lovely stuff.

I liked Lol's artwork on O'Rourke in the Meg. It was all over the place really but I enjoyed the energy of it.

Oh yeah, I was a Lol fan too.  He would have been perfect for the early days of SinDex when it was fast-paced, trashy and fun. Or maybe he drew an episode or two?  I can't remember now.

Sadly, his now-ubiquitous pen-name makes him pretty much Google-proof, but I'd love to know what happened to him.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 November, 2023, 07:33:59 PMOh yeah, I was a Lol fan too.  He would have been perfect for the early days of SinDex when it was fast-paced, trashy and fun. Or maybe he drew an episode or two?  I can't remember now.

Coptalk, 1116