Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Awww man that is sad. RIP Lesley. Thanks for the songs. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Famous Mortimer

RIP Harris Wittels, writer/producer on "Parks and Recreation" and regular standup and podcaster. Very funny guy, died of an overdose after really seeming to benefit from rehab. Shame.

Jim_Campbell

John Freeman reports that John Cooper, artist on Johnny Red, MACH 1, Dredd, Armitage, Roy of the Rovers and many, many more classic strips has died after a short illness.

RIP, sir.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Sad news indeed. RIP John. Another font of fond memories from my younger days. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Daveycandlish

He was a particular favourite of mine growing up in the seventies - his was a very distinctive style, easily recognised on numerous strips.
RIP Mr Cooper
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

Ach! I always liked his MACH 1 art. Not been a good week for the house of Tharg. RIP Mr. Cooper.

Dark Jimbo

I never thought he was well suited for futuristic stuff but his WWII strips and stuff like, as Hawkmonger says, Mach 1 were great solid stuff. I'm glad he got a second crack at the prog in recent years with the Armitage stories.
@jamesfeistdraws

Spikes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 February, 2015, 05:27:14 PM
John Freeman reports that John Cooper, artist on Johnny Red, MACH 1, Dredd, Armitage, Roy of the Rovers and many, many more classic strips has died after a short illness.

RIP, sir.

Jim

Damn, that is sad news indeed.
First came across his work in the pages of Battle, but loved his work in the prog.
And from a time when the Galaxy's greatest was a pleasing mix of old school talent, and the brash young Turks tearing it all up.

The other year I was lucky enough to have gotten a commission from him (All kindly set up by Hippynumber1), and the process of re-visiting his Dredd tales in order to pick a theme for John was a real joy. I went for a commission based on the classic post-Apocalypse War story 'The Last Invader', and it was every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

RIP Mr Cooper. And thanks for all the great art.

Dunk!

More sad news.

RIP John. Always liked your art which had solid draughtsmanship at its heart.

Loved The Last Invader and will always have a soft spot for his Morlock-a-like Gila Munja - their first appearence IIRC.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

hippynumber1

Ah shit! This is sad news, I had the privilege of 'lunching' with John in his home and he was a charming, funny old chap with some great stories...

TordelBack

Ah bloody hell, that's a shame. Loved his work in Battle and Roy of the Rovers, and while I may have struggled with some of the layout and background shading on Armitage, you could never fault his characters or the grimy realism he could deliver.

Grugz

aye a damn shame . earliest memory of taking notice of who he was,was actually in the action force strips . rest ye well sir
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Steve Green

Spikes

Quote from: Dunk! on 01 January, 1970, 04:57:28 AM
.....his Morlock-a-like Gila Munja - their first appearence IIRC.

Oh yes. I know what i'll be re-reading tonight.

von Boom

Loved Johnny Red.

RIP John.