Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

For the Virgin Suber Hub you will need to go into the settings 192.168.0.1. Change the automatic channel to manual and go for channel 7 or 10, then save.

There is also something else you may need to change depending on your speed.
Go to advanced settings and in the wireless settings you may need to change the 802.11 mode. There are three settings the is: Up to 54mbps, up to 145mbps and up to 300mbps. Obviously the faster your speed the higher you may need.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

On Monday my complete arse of a former business partner announced out of the blue (by e-mail - classy) that he had hired some blokes to chuck all our insolvent company's archaeological archives (that still reside in the basement of his building pending tortuously slow museum deposition) into a skip*, forcing me to return very early from a chilly camping holiday with my kids to try (successfully as it turned out) to prevent this. 

This should have been an occasion for much gnashing of teeth, and indeed I have been run ragged and cranky from 7am to 2am ever since, but part of my desperate solution was to appeal to many of my former colleagues for help in moving and sorting and rehousing the blighted archive, and this has brought the unexpected pleasure of meeting up with and briefly working with some fine folk I haven't seen for years.  Today I met the 2 year-old son of an old pal that I wasn't even aware existed, learned of the imminent parenthood of two more, and enjoyed several prolonged not-very-manly-at-all hugs as well as a heartening amount of actual help.   

For the last year or more I've been so wrapped up in my own failures and how badly I've let down my understandably-bitter colleagues that I'd completely forgotten that my late company was over a decade old, and it really gave me a lot of good times and good friends before it all went to shite. 

So all in all, while I'm still that wanker that screwed up everyone's livelihoods, at least I got to remember why I wanted to hang on to it all as long as I did.  I'll tally that one as a win.

*You would think there would be a legal obstacle to doing this.  You would be wrong.

Judo

Bwaaaaaah :O really super fabby comic artist I fancy gave me his phone number!!! Volunteered his Phone number and said I should call him sometime!!!! and I haven't even met him!!!??? Wow just wow. Nothings touching me this week :D x x x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

10 servers, 2 SAN shelves, Fibre Switches and Channels and my biking toolkit...... 

All into Datacentre, in half a day.... not too shabby for not having done it for years.  Result!   
Now all I have to do is sort out everyone elses cable patching (on critical live servers, of course)   :-\
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

Emperor

I won a DVD and one I want to watch too!! I think I might have sneaked it as the competition asks you to name the film's director and they give the name in the same post, but it isn't exactly right there so a quick Google might have let me narrow the field nicely. There are also 5 being given away in prog 1776 and I heartily recommend giving it a shot as it has good word-of-mouth.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 April, 2012, 10:57:45 PM
I had to use up some chicken stock to defrost the freezer so I made a chicken & chorizo soup thing with barley and sweetcorn, purely from instinct and guesswork and it was bloody gorgeous. COOKING DOESN'T GET BODGIER THAN THIS!

We need a recipes thread.

Quote from: vzzbux on 04 April, 2012, 11:43:00 PM
For the Virgin Suber Hub you will need to go into the settings 192.168.0.1. Change the automatic channel to manual and go for channel 7 or 10, then save.

There is also something else you may need to change depending on your speed.
Go to advanced settings and in the wireless settings you may need to change the 802.11 mode. There are three settings the is: Up to 54mbps, up to 145mbps and up to 300mbps. Obviously the faster your speed the higher you may need.

Cheers. I may be referring back to this in the future.

I found a useful discussion (and now can't find it again) that suggested a lot of the problems could be fixed by dropping the speed settings that force the router to use one channel not two (I have inSSIDer so should be able to spot if a problem is coming from that direction). So I reckon one way or another I should be able to get this to work for me.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Emperor on 05 April, 2012, 05:01:25 PM

I'll only accept a "Judos recipes thread" trololol

SmallBlueThing

...because I have Walking Dead #95, Wonder Woman #7, All Star Western #4-7- and a couple of issues of 70s Swamp Thing to read tonight, as well as being partway through a really good Arthur C Clarke nov. And today I picked up the first BBC 'Dr Who: The Lost Episodes' CD boxset (which can go on eBay for up to £125) for a tenner in perfect condition, after knocking the bloke in a second hand shop down from fifteen. And tomorrow, I don't have to be in work til eleven- and when I do get there, I'm having a nice day out in a cemetery.

SBT

Judo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 05 April, 2012, 05:22:06 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 05 April, 2012, 05:01:25 PM

I'll only accept a "Judos recipes thread" trololol

Take one left over pizza and add microwave ;)
My fave is the warren ellis cocktail...
Take one pint glass.
Add bottle of whiskey.
Drink.

X
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

rioja wine campo viejo @ £5 a bottle then Southern Comfort...  ah hangover!
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 April, 2012, 02:08:46 AM
On Monday my complete arse of a former business partner announced out of the blue (by e-mail - classy) that he had hired some blokes to chuck all our insolvent company's archaeological archives (that still reside in the basement of his building pending tortuously slow museum deposition) into a skip*, forcing me to return very early from a chilly camping holiday with my kids to try (successfully as it turned out) to prevent this. 

This should have been an occasion for much gnashing of teeth, and indeed I have been run ragged and cranky from 7am to 2am ever since, but part of my desperate solution was to appeal to many of my former colleagues for help in moving and sorting and rehousing the blighted archive, and this has brought the unexpected pleasure of meeting up with and briefly working with some fine folk I haven't seen for years.  Today I met the 2 year-old son of an old pal that I wasn't even aware existed, learned of the imminent parenthood of two more, and enjoyed several prolonged not-very-manly-at-all hugs as well as a heartening amount of actual help.   

For the last year or more I've been so wrapped up in my own failures and how badly I've let down my understandably-bitter colleagues that I'd completely forgotten that my late company was over a decade old, and it really gave me a lot of good times and good friends before it all went to shite. 

So all in all, while I'm still that wanker that screwed up everyone's livelihoods, at least I got to remember why I wanted to hang on to it all as long as I did.  I'll tally that one as a win.

*You would think there would be a legal obstacle to doing this.  You would be wrong.

You're a legend!

JOE SOAP

TB, you're a trojan*

*not the johnnies.

judgefloyd

...because all my problems have solutions, I have my health, employment and a nice family.  Also on monday, I'm off to the MCG to see Hawthorn thrash Geelong (hopefully.  Even if they lose, it'll be a good game). 

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 April, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
TB, you're a trojan

Failed to act on warnings of impending doom?  Check.
Naively accepted tempting things that appeared on my doorstep?  Check.
Subsequently exhumed and exhibited by greedy Germans?  Probably.

Never believe someone who concocts one-sided tales of petty triumphs over adversity while half-cut in the wee-hours.  I'm is a procrastinating fool who enjoys mythologising his own boring failures to virtual strangers in an effort to make himself look and feel better. Maybe I should go into politics.

Banners

Kellogg's dropped off a free box of cereal today. That was nice.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!