Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emp

Peter Wolf

I just had one of my interesting moments where i was downstairs in the kitchen snacking and i had an urge to check on the outside courtyard and to see what the weather was doing.

What was interesting was i caught someone off the street loitering just inside the yard by the gates.This is where someone who is a friend of someone else who lives here has locked their bike up against the gate which was open.I sensed this individual was up to no good so i stood on the doorstep eating and stared right at him without saying a word until he got the message and left which took about 30 seconds as he knew he was being watched.

I quite often get the feeling that something is up without knowing exactly why particularly if its someone who is in my space lurking around who shouldnt be.Finely tuned senses.Unfortunately i now feel unsettled rather than relaxed.

Also a double glazed unit in the window upstairs here has failed because somehow it has filled itself up with water as there is a line of water about a quarter of the way up inside between the glass.I noticed this yesterday but the night before last it was alright because i was watching the snow through it so i am at a loss to explain this as the ouside of the window is watertight as i replaced all the wooden beading around the glass with putty so if i clipped the edge of the double glazed unit with a small nail then why didnt it immediately fail ??

I cant work out where all the water came from either.

Anyway now it has to be replaced.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 03 December, 2010, 10:46:45 PM
What was interesting was i caught someone off the street loitering just inside the yard by the gates.This is where someone who is a friend of someone else who lives here has locked their bike up against the gate which was open.I sensed this individual was up to no good so i stood on the doorstep eating and stared right at him without saying a word until he got the message and left which took about 30 seconds as he knew he was being watched.

I quite often get the feeling that something is up without knowing exactly why particularly if its someone who is in my space lurking around who shouldnt be.Finely tuned senses.

I think this might be for you Peter.

If a new costumed vigilante appears on our streets dressed in clothes with a canine motif.... we'll be sure to keep his identity secret.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 December, 2010, 05:12:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 03 December, 2010, 10:46:45 PM

I quite often get the feeling that something is up without knowing exactly why particularly if its someone who is in my space lurking around who shouldnt be.Finely tuned senses.

I think this might be for you Peter.

If a new costumed vigilante appears on our streets dressed in clothes with a canine motif.... we'll be sure to keep his identity secret.

I am not making any of that up and another impediment to add to that is the bike itself which the owner has just locked up and left for an unknown length of time and they cant be contacted by telephone so its a nuisance as it has been there for nearly 2 weeks already and i am tired of looking at it already and it makes it very difficult to close the gates.

SIGH.................

There is always someone creating a problem.

Mardroid

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 04 December, 2010, 05:23:55 PM
I am not making any of that up

It's okay, I didn't think you was, I was just pulling your leg. I find that ESP type stuff genuinely interesting.

Quoteand another impediment to add to that is the bike itself which the owner has just locked up and left for an unknown length of time and they cant be contacted by telephone so its a nuisance as it has been there for nearly 2 weeks already and i am tired of looking at it already and it makes it very difficult to close the gates.

SIGH.................

There is always someone creating a problem.

I know what you mean. It's a shame some people don't take more responsibility for their own stuff. It's like a while ago I smelt gas outside someone's house. I ended up calling it in, thinking that maybe I was being overly paranoid. Next thing I know the gas company were digging up the road. (There was also a hazard sign in their front garden...) It irritated me that people wouldn't report such things outside their own houses.

(To be fair the person might have been away, and I think I might have an especially sensitive nose to such things. Either that or my paranoid mind was wired to notice such things. I actually came down with a bit of anxiety over this, phoning up the Gas emergency number 2-3 times a week at one point whenever I though I smelt something. Freaky thing is, 60-80% of the time I turned out to be right. Trust a bunch of gas leaks to occur when I was going through a paranoid period.)

Concerning the bike, I shouldn't worry about it though. If it gets nicked it's the owner's fault for not taking better care of his belongings.  Not that I'm suggesting you stand by if you notice of course. I think you did the right thing.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 December, 2010, 05:39:29 PM

Concerning the bike, I shouldn't worry about it though. If it gets nicked it's the owner's fault for not taking better care of his belongings.  Not that I'm suggesting you stand by if you notice of course. I think you did the right thing.

Its the 4th time in the last year or so i have caught someone furtively lurking around in here [under similar circumstances] and i am not having it.A few years ago i had a new mountain bike stolen that wasnt cheap by some lowlife off the street when it was left in the courtyard when my back was turned during daytime which i was infuriated by so since then i have become fiercely territorial if i find anyone in here who shouldnt be in here of the criminal element.I either request that they leave if i catch them or they leave by force.Either way they leave and either way they dont come back.

My neighbour on one side lives in the house next door on her own and she wont appreciate anyone lurking around in the dark either.

Emp

I've noticed a similar, if slightly more amusing thing involving a moped (amusing to everyone else,doubt the moped owner will find it funny).

For the last week or so a moped has been chained to a lamp-post close to where i live.
Maybe it ran out of fuel and instead of pushing the (obviously very heavy and unweildy) vehicle home they chained to the post.

Well driving by it this morning it appears that someone has ploughed a car into it. There's some broken glass,links of chain,the moped a good 6-10 feet from where it started and the whole scene tied up with festive police tape.

All that road and someone manages to lose it at that spot!!

Bet he wishes he pushed it home now.....or he will when he finds out.

Dandontdare

I've virtually lost my voice today. My employers don't seem to regard this as an impediment to telephone work, so I'm croaking away as best as possible.

Also, I did absolutely no work on my advent calendar thing over the weekend,  as I felt too ill and hungover from the office party on Friday (which was AWFUL, so I drank way too much to compensate - curse those sambuca shots).

This means my day off tomorrow is going to be filled up doing this - it requires no talent but hours of painstaking work, which is a pain in the arse!

staticgirl

I also did no work on the advent calendar thingy this weekend. It's annoying. This cold has taken out 2 weekends and I haven't done any xmas shopping. I nearly fainted just putting up a 4ft plastic tree!

Oh well, I still have time to get everything done - must control panic.

davethomson

I hate the snow. Not as much as I hate the railway commuters who, unable to find a parking space at the train station, have felt the need to park their cars in the residential parking. Especially the pillock with the red Citroen who has abandoned it behind my car, blocking me in. >:(
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Dandontdare

Quote from: staticgirl on 06 December, 2010, 01:14:16 PM
I also did no work on the advent calendar thingy this weekend. It's annoying. This cold has taken out 2 weekends and I haven't done any xmas shopping.

XMAS SHOPPING?  :o  Crap, that's another thing I haven't done!

Mikey

I'm writing something at the minute and got totally forgetful on the latest figure for the last Glacial Maximum (the nights fly in, I can tell ye). 'Aha!' said I, 'To the wibbely wall chart of graphs!'

So I looked. Got very confused and was questioning my understanding of the basics of isotope ratios, slowly raking up the old mind library when I realised...

...the graph axis read right to left, not left to right. Wasted about 20 minutes on it! ::)

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Emperor

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 05 December, 2010, 12:36:49 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 04 December, 2010, 05:39:29 PM

Its the 4th time in the last year or so i have caught someone furtively lurking around in here [under similar circumstances] and i am not having it.A few years ago i had a new mountain bike stolen that wasnt cheap by some lowlife off the street when it was left in the courtyard when my back was turned during daytime which i was infuriated by so since then i have become fiercely territorial if i find anyone in here who shouldnt be in here of the criminal element.I either request that they leave if i catch them or they leave by force.Either way they leave and either way they dont come back.

My neighbour on one side lives in the house next door on her own and she wont appreciate anyone lurking around in the dark either.

Perhaps an external light with an infra-red motion detector would help?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

vzzbux

I had to abandon my red citoren on some estate as I was in a rush for the train and couldn't get into the car park. I think I blocked some poor schmuk from getting out though, ah well.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.