Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

TordelBack

Man, Rebellion are going to be breaking new ground with this court case!

CrazyFoxMachine

...my girlfriend has run into her very own personal Sc*j*...

http://geofferycrescentreviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-dark-trash-theatre-by-david.html

read the comment - this morning she also received a seven page e-mail describing what was wrong with her review, taking it apart sentence by sentence and telling her resolutely how ill-informed she was.

I thought she was being far too fair in her review....

Dark Jimbo

The telling line comes at the end of his reply, I think - ''there are many levels of complex meaning which you have missed, no doubt you were put off by the cynical brutality of the piece... I think few people will understand what is really going on with this book... maybe very few - I wrote it for the few, not the many...''

So she didn't like it because she didn't understand it, and (by implication) anyone who else who doesn't like it just isn't intelligent enough to understand it.
@jamesfeistdraws

HdE

I kind of despair at that sort of reaction to honest critical appraisal.

If the audience doesn't get it, they don't get it. End of. If you're pitching a product to the perceived super-intelligents of the world... get ready for abysmal sales. if you have to explain it to your readers after they've read it, you're not doing your job properly.

So sick of seeing that sort of nonsense.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Darren Stephens

Been off work for the last couple of weeks with some hideous cold/cough combo. Been feeling slightly better the last day or two, but the cough remained and with it, an aching chest. Just got back from the doctors....I now have a chest infection and she's signed me off for a further week. My employers will be overjoyed.  :(
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Rog69

My parakeet has learned how to mimic the little squeak our back door makes when it's pushed open, it's very off putting when you have the house to yourself and are engaged in some special alone time.

Emperor

Shouldn't that be "my better half has taught the parrakeet..."?

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 February, 2012, 11:30:14 AM
...my girlfriend has run into her very own personal Sc*j*...

Only if Sc0j0 was John Wagner, which is one of the less popular theories...

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 February, 2012, 11:30:14 AMhttp://geofferycrescentreviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-dark-trash-theatre-by-david.html

read the comment - this morning she also received a seven page e-mail describing what was wrong with her review, taking it apart sentence by sentence and telling her resolutely how ill-informed she was.

I thought she was being far too fair in her review....

I like this:

Quotealso the book IS thin - but not because I only have a small amount of poetry - but because it was designed to be very thin

If only that'd work in school:

"Why is this essay only half a page"

"I had more I could have written, but I deliberately went for half a page. I see it as a statement about trying and failing to analyse the human condition"

"It was an essay about photosynthesis"

"I wrote it from the plant's point of view, horrified about the waste of paper, a product created through the industrial scale murder of its own kind"

"Get out before I slap you"
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Spikes

I think you lot are quite fond of this person, and secretly miss him...........

Gonk

My impression too. He's mentioned all the time. It's unhealthy.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Watched a lady beside me trading in games for cash in a major chain toy shop today.  She had a stack of about 30 brand-new titles, most for multiple platforms, including Darkness 2 for PS3 and X-Box.  That one came out last week.  Handling stolen goods is a crime, right? 

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Spikes

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 February, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
Watched a lady beside me trading in games for cash in a major chain toy shop today.  She had a stack of about 30 brand-new titles, most for multiple platforms, including Darkness 2 for PS3 and X-Box.  That one came out last week.  Handling stolen goods is a crime, right?

Which ones did you buy then?

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 February, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
  That one came out last week.  Handling stolen goods is a crime, right?

Whenever I pop into Cash Gnerator to check for a bargain I always wish I'd brought popcorn and a folding chair to watch the selling queue. Its like a casting call for Shameless.