Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 April, 2021, 01:00:09 PM
Some what bemused to hear the top-of-the-hour news summary on Radio 4 refer to the verdict being in relation to "George Floyd, who died after Chauvin knelt on his neck for over nine minutes", as if there still might be some disconnect between those two events. Surely "...who was killed by Chauvin, who knelt on his neck for over nine minutes" would have been a more accurate summary?

I'm going to be generous and suggest that they still haven't quite got used to the post-verdict language.  Hopefully history will record it as 'George Floyd, who was murdered by Derek Chauvin.'

In related news, why the absolute feck do I ever look at the comments section in thejournal.ie? 'I'm just saying that a repeat criminal with drug problems is no major loss to the world', etc, ad fucking nauseum.  That's serial killer logic.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 April, 2021, 01:00:09 PM
Some what bemused to hear the top-of-the-hour news summary on Radio 4 refer to the verdict being in relation to "George Floyd, who died after Chauvin knelt on his neck for over nine minutes", as if there still might be some disconnect between those two events. Surely "...who was killed by Chauvin, who knelt on his neck for over nine minutes" would have been a more accurate summary?

Is that really what they said?  Floyd didn't die after anything - it was while Chauvin was kneeling on his neck.  From what I understand he died some time before the knee was removed.

IndigoPrime

Still, nice to see Nancy Pelosi *checks notes* thanking George Floyd for *rechecks notes, just in case I'm going insane* sacrificing his life for justice.

I don't even. The world is broken.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 April, 2021, 01:13:01 PM
In related news, why the absolute feck do I ever look at the comments section in thejournal.ie?

I often compare this sort of thing to swimming in a sewer then complaining about the smell, but I've come to realise that this comparison is flawed because sewers actually serve an important function in society.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 April, 2021, 02:13:06 PM
In related news, why the absolute feck do I ever look at the comments section in thejournal.ie?

I often compare this sort of thing to swimming in a sewer then complaining about the smell, but I've come to realise that this comparison is flawed because sewers actually serve an important function in society.

You're right, of course. One day I'll learn my lesson.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

In related news, why the absolute feck do I ever look at the comments section in thejournal.ie? 'I'm just saying that a repeat criminal with drug problems is no major loss to the world', etc, ad fucking nauseum.  That's serial killer logic.

It's not too far away from the defense case in the trial, and it gets to the heart of the problem in a lot of cases similar to this one: the victims are seen as less than human by the perpetrators, and by those who defend the perpetrators.

Chauvin put a man down, while he knew he was being filmed, and some part of him assumed that either it was the right thing to do or that he'd get away with it even if it wasn't.

My daughter asked why he did it at all, and I had to tell her that we'll never get a clear answer to that because Chauvin isn't going to explain himself. (She knows some of the wider context of race relations and a history of injustice, but I'm always trying to strike a balance between informing her and at the same time avoiding traumatizing her. Does anyone have a really good book on How To Correctly Parent..?)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 April, 2021, 07:00:39 PM

It's not too far away from the defense case in the trial, and it gets to the heart of the problem in a lot of cases similar to this one: the victims are seen as less than human by the perpetrators, and by those who defend the perpetrators.

True enough - having looked (again! Why do I do it?) at the comment I half-quoted, I see I missed a bit at the end - 'or his family'.  Now that's psychopath stuff.  And it's just one of many similar ones. 

Rara Avis

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 April, 2021, 11:03:48 AM
That self confessed not-an-actual-journalist Ticker Carlson has been saying no one will want to be a cop now. If not being allowed to get off of murder after kneeling on a restrained man's neck for ten minutes puts you off being a cop...good.

I know we don't like to use the word around here but this racist, hypocritical, misogynistic, rabble rousing piece of $hit is the definition of the word c**t.

Really enjoyed the Last Week Tonight on him: https://youtu.be/XMGxxRRtmHc

Funt Solo

Quote from: Rara Avis on 22 April, 2021, 07:12:42 PM
I know we don't like to use the word around here but this racist, hypocritical, misogynistic, rabble rousing piece of $hit is the definition of the word c**t.

I didn't know Tucker Carlson was a Celt. You learn something new...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

Genuine lol. Thank you Funt.

JayzusB.Christ

I've been wondering, will Derek Chauvin be in some kind of special prison for his own protection? Not that I have a whole lot of sympathy for a racist murderer, but it seems to me that an ex copper with a high profile would have a much rougher time inside than most.

Funt Solo

Cops are segregated from the rest of the prison population, often along with child sex offenders. It's open season on both categories, so they're either grouped or isolated to protect them.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Would it not make more sense to segregate him off with all the other white supremecists?
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Aha! You've fallen into the trap of trying to make sense of the moral code within (especially US) prisons.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 April, 2021, 06:37:59 PM
Cops are segregated from the rest of the prison population, often along with child sex offenders. It's open season on both categories, so they're either grouped or isolated to protect them.

Ah, I get you.  Thanks.  I knew sex offenders were segregated but I didn't know cops were.  My brother works in a prison regularly.  I went in there with him last year to paint a mural - the last trip abroad I had before all this covid stuff kicked off.  Bit of a mental atmosphere, of course, but the inmates I met seemed fairly friendly.