Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Clearly God was expressing his displeasure over the Russian people turning their backs (ahem) collectively on Communism, da?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Spikes

I bet that they ALL now scrambling around in the dirt, trying to find those little fragments of rock that are worth more than Gold.

Jammyski

Dandontdare

Quote from: Judge Jack on 18 February, 2013, 06:13:06 PM
I bet that they ALL now scrambling around in the dirt, trying to find those little fragments of rock that are worth more than Gold.

Jammyski

apparently they started showing up on ebay within the hour - from people who could not possibly have collected them "hmm - I've got some rocks in the garden .. IDEA!"

Frank

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 17 February, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
This is a really good video of the Chelyabinsk meteor exploding.

How fucking casual is that copper? His voice never rises above a monotone: Yeah, there's a massive incandescent ball of I-don't-know-what streaking through the sky directly overhead. I'm going to Greggs; do you want anything?

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 February, 2013, 06:21:30 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 18 February, 2013, 06:13:06 PM

Jammyski

apparently they started showing up on ebay within the hour - from people who could not possibly have collected them "hmm - I've got some rocks in the garden .. IDEA!"

Well someone's got to pay for the massive heating and window repairs bills due to your windows exploding in winter in one of the coldest countries on the planet....

Dandontdare

the freakiest thing about the footage is the long gap between the flash and the shockwave - people had about half a minute to freak out over the huge burst of light in the sky before all their windows explode and things start popping off like firecrackers. That's got to have been a follow-through moment!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 March, 2013, 12:06:45 PM
Has this been posted before?  Science really is drokking fantastic.

http://www.ted.com/talks/boaz_almog_levitates_a_superconductor.html

It's a great piece, but one of the things that annoys me about TED demo-based talks is that hardly anyone wears safety gear.  I used to shout myself hoarse trying to get my colleagues to wear the proper PPE, no matter how irritating it can be, these guys should set an example on the public stage.

Mind you, no goggles or gloves are going to save you from this, the greatest event of our lifetimes if it comes off:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/28/mars_impact_the_red_planet_may_get_hit_by_a_comet_in_october_2014.html

A direct hit would make Shoemaker-Levy 9 look like a pea-shooter.  I am very, very excited.

von Boom

It looks like it's going to miss, barely. At least that what the people at the Keck are saying.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Volcanic Lightning:

VOLCANIC GOSHDARNED LIGHTNING!

From APOD:

QuoteExplanation: Why does a volcanic eruption sometimes create lightning? Pictured above, the Sakurajima volcano in southern Japan was caught erupting in early January. Magma bubbles so hot they glow shoot away as liquid rock bursts through the Earth's surface from below. The above image is particularly notable, however, for the lightning bolts caught near the volcano's summit. Why lightning occurs even in common thunderstorms remains a topic of research, and the cause of volcanic lightning is even less clear. Surely, lightning bolts help quench areas of opposite but separated electric charges. One hypothesis holds that catapulting magma bubbles or volcanic ash are themselves electrically charged, and by their motion create these separated areas. Other volcanic lightning episodes may be facilitated by charge-inducing collisions in volcanic dust. Lightning is usually occurring somewhere on Earth, typically over 40 times each second.

You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Holy shit!  Just out of shot, of course, is the barbarian, scantily-clad woman, and floating heavy metal band name in spiky letters
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"