Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

My favourite star(s)! I love watching it wax and wane, and the fact that it's one eye of Medusa's severed head.

JayzusB.Christ

Now it's my favourite star too. After Harry Styles, that is. Ha ha ha! That's a really funny joke.  Classic!  Fair play to me ;-(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I seem to recall that star being one of H.P. Lovecraft's favourites as well.
Also - a "promising set of potential biosignatures" discovered on Mars: online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/ast.2014.1218
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Hubble takes a new image of the 'Pillars of Creation'. The article contains a link to a brilliantly high-res (33Mb) version of the image which is totally worth downloading and ooh-ing over for a few minutes.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Holy shit, that's amazing.  I love the Pillars of Creation - not just because they have a name worthy of the best 80s power-ballad band ever, but also because the sheer vastness of them just cannot be conceptualised by the human imagination.  I think I got this link from one of our own boarders, but anyone who doesn't realise just how big this nebula is should zoom out till they find it.  It's like the end of Zenith Phase IV.

http://scaleofuniverse.com/

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

Am I wrong in saying that the Strontium Dogs story about Feral and the Gronks interaction with the Sorcerers of Lyrae involved the Demon Star Algal. The follow on is that Algal is in Persae and the sorcerers are from Lyrae? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 January, 2015, 04:30:58 PM
Hubble takes a new image of the 'Pillars of Creation'. The article contains a link to a brilliantly high-res (33Mb) version of the image which is totally worth downloading and ooh-ing over for a few minutes.

Cheers

Jim
That's a fucking phenomenal image and I would buy it as a poster if I could. I should really get into astronomy more.

Tombo

The number of exoplanets discovered by the Kepler Space Telescope has surpassed 1'000 one of which has snatched the title of "Most Earth-Like"

Dandontdare

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tombo on 07 January, 2015, 09:24:29 PM
The number of exoplanets discovered by the Kepler Space Telescope has surpassed 1'000 one of which has snatched the title of "Most Earth-Like"

That's mental.  Exoplanets,  let alone earth-like ones,  were only known in science fiction until 1992. Will somebody please invent FTL travel?  I want to see the exoplanets!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

When reading this, I was reminded of that time I started ranting about gravitational lensing.

Here's the article:

Astronomers have directly measured the spin of a supermassive black hole in a quasar that is located 6 billion light years away.

Here's the picture:

It's a composite of the visible and x-ray spectrums. In one of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's books* there is a fantastic chapter about how limited our senses is are. We can only hear limited frequencies, we can only see a small range of the electromagnetic spectrum, yet through miraculous ingenuity we can experience the universe beyond our biological limitations.

There's a theory. It looks like there's something supermassive in the centre of our galaxy. Maybe a black hole. The only other blackholes it is currently possible to observe are really far away. Now maybe that's because of our limited technology, maybe it's because you can only find black holes really far away. Or in cosmological terms, a long time ago. Maybe when we're looking at black holes we're watching galaxies beginning to aggregate.

*Death by Black Hole**
**They don't call them that in France because the literal translation of 'black hole' is a vulgar euphemism.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 January, 2015, 02:12:28 PM
From broadsheet.ie this morning: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/01/13/futura-press/.
Science fiction creates the future

interesting list (though something went a bit wrong with the waterbeds entry!). Someday I'm going to trawl through all my 2000ads for a definitive list of Tharg predicting the future.

The Legendary Shark

Here's a thing. Apparently the IAU is launching a competition today to name exoplanets. Should we form a little group of Squaxx to enter with some suitably twoothsome names? Quaxxan, Termight, Nu-Earth and, er, some other ones.
Anyway, here's some linkies:

www.nameexoworlds.org/the_exoworlds

www.nameexoworlds.org/
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]