Main Menu

Planet Dinosaur

Started by Tiplodocus, 30 September, 2011, 01:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Mmm. Bit of a mixed bag this one. 

I like the bits where John Hurt gives you the evidence that was used as the basis of the theories without them resorting to a dry Professor talking but this also means it jumps around a bit too much.  (I just loved the conceit that Walking With Dinosaurs used of "imagine a wildlife documentary on dinosaurs").

And the overall look and feel of the effects is very plastic.  You get the odd bit in HD that looks gobsmacking but generally the program looks cheap.

Tiny Tips also pointed out that scale is an issue.  Often, the Dinosaurs are shown in giant forests beside massive ferns and gigantic trees. Which makes them look kind of small.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it but basically, it's just reminded how much better Walking With Dinosaurs was, and that can't be a good thing for a programme to do.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

I found the feathered dinosaur one last week quite fascinating. Particularly the little critter that actually had four wings! (Basically it's back legs had long feathers too and doubled as wings.)

Richmond Clements

I was really looking forward to thi, but was a bit disappointed in the first episode and haven't watched any more... might have a peek on the iplayer though if I get a sapre minute or two.

SmallBlueThing

Saw the second and third ones- and to be honest was a bit underwhelmed. It all looks very plasticky, as was said above, and not at all "real". I don't know how they're doing this one, but it looks to be entirely cgi, backgrounds and all, and without the cuts to animatronics (well, heads on sticks) and real exotic backgrounds that Walking With Dinos had. The monsters also move in a horrible, cartoony, way I think. And yes, I WILL continue to refer to them as "monsters", not "creatures" or "animals", because that's what dinos should be. Rarrr!

On another forum, someone was bemoaning the quality of the cgi and was told to absolutely shut up- apparently it's "shot for HD", where it "looks stunning", and if you're not watching in HD then you have no reason to complain.

SBT

Robin Low

I'm watching in HD, but I'd say the CGI ranges from okay to sometimes good. It's a long, long way from 'stunning.'

Still, it's pretty interesting stuff and I like the approach. Walking with Dinosaurs came in for a lot of stick from people asking things like "How do they know dinosaurs behaved like this" and so on. This series goes out of its way to demonstrate that palaeontologists are smarter than TV critics.

Regards

Robin

Steve Green

I saw an article stating that they had a fraction of the budget of WWD, and from the bits I've seen it shows.

I think doing the entire backgrounds in CG is part of the problem, as time spent making that look right is time taken away from making the dinos look good.

That shot for HD argument is tosh. It's not going to be animated any better if it's viewed in HD.

Cthulouis

I love this, and think it blows Walking With Dinosaurs out of the water, for four reasons:

1. There is presentation of evidence.
2. The Dinosaurs do things (WWD persuaded kiddie me that Dinosaurs were pretty boring animals, and made me go off them, right at a time I should have been looking into a career in Palaeontology. This show confirms something I had fortunately already worked out: that even kiddier me was right all along, Dinosaurs *are* awesome).
3. The cgi doesn't go for naturalistic representation. By showing us what is effectively a cartoon of dinosaurs, we are reminded that this is just one of many interpretations, and doesn't dupe us into thinking this is the One True Truth.
4. It leaves me wanting more! I keep finding myself thinking "oooh, go into that in a bit more detail..." This is not a bad thing. They can't show everything on their sadly too short show (I would love each episode to be 45 mins long, but realise money is the big decider here), and therefore I will have to get off my fat arse and go do some of my own research.

Zarjazzer

I've enjoyed it so far and like the fossil evidence that actually shows how they worked out what's what. And  the (CGI) world as it was when these creatures were around yet it seems light for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. John Hurt's a good narrator but maybe they should concentrate on one or two species rather than run around the world.  No Giganotosaurus?  Mmmm... :-\  Still, looking forward to Predator X,(a giant marine reptile) in the near future.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Hawkmumbler

Herm..........This tickled me a bit.
I grew up with the Walking With Trilogy and spin-offs, and they have had an indescribable inpact on my life.
The CGI and model ratio was even, and that was good.
But WWD and it's succsers where about Paleoecology, as aposed to Paleobiology, which is where Planet Dinoaur come's in.
This is in a sense, Britains response to America's When Dinosaur ruled America from yeaster century (still have that on VHS, along with When Dinosaurs Ruled Asia, anothe documentary series I would highly recomend).
It focuses on how each organism WORKS, as apossed to it's/ there social economy and there place in the ecosystem.
There two drasticaly different show's for this reason, and they both have there up's and down's.
As such, i'd rate them on par for the simple fact that there both up to date (for there respective centurys) with whats going on in the world of Paleontlogical advancments at the time (Though WWD still hold more nostalgic value for me).

Hawkmumbler

Ok, just found this on Wikipedia about WWD.
QuoteBBC Earth is currently working on a CGI/live-action film adaptation of the original TV series. It is being directed by Neil Nightingale and Pierre De Lespinios, and it will be released on December 20, 2013.[19]
Wow. I watched the Arena Spectaculare about a year back and it blew my mind, so i'm really exited about this (I wonder if the 3D will actualy make this a better experience for once?).