Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 October, 2020, 05:32:45 PM
Batman n The Maxx 4 could have been book of the haul but its been so long coming I've lost the plot. Mind given the wonderful mindscapes The maxx takes you down i imagine I'd still be a little lost with a re-read, but in a more reasured way!

Two years since issue 3 was released.
Very few comic creators would get a pass for that, but we're talking Sam Keith here.

I also didn't bother with a re-read of the previous issues, but it's the usual beautiful nonsense.

Colin YNWA

Small haul, bit alas they often are these days.

Immortal Hulk 39 to be honest there's time when the body horror just starts to blurh. I need to revisit this run now for sure.

Skulldigger 5 takes a dark trip to set up its finale. Great comic but only the second best Black Hammer comic this month!

Next couple are pretty unsubtle to say the least, but not the less enjoyable for it. Hellblazer 11 continues this series wearing it politics in its sleeves theme even more clearly than before. Its not really surprising with a Hellblazer comic but it can be a little Millsian in getting its message across, however much a approve of the message. The Scumbag 1 takes the idea of fate throwing loser into a position of responsiblity and turns it up to 11. I mean its entirely cliche but other amps things with such relish I found it impossible not to be washed along with the whole thing.

Best comics of the haul. Colenel Weird - Cosmagog 1 looks astonishing and lays bare the foundation of a tale that allow insight into the cosmic lost wonder that is Colenel Weird. The fact that its set up, so clearly set up is what stops it getting book of the haul. That honour goes to X-Ray Robot 3 done with it set up and also relishing its cliche alternate realities road trip the Allred's handle things with such charm and confidence its impossible not to be utterly impressed.

The Adventurer

I'm so happy this thread still gets regular use. Sorry for not contributing much to it any more. Despite me reading more comics then ever lately. I wonder if it has the most views of any single thread on the form.  300k+ seems like a lot.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've always been grateful that you started this thread Adventurer. Its one of my absolute favourites  on my favourite site. I do sometime worry that I use it in a way other than it was intended but I've found having somewhere to almost journal my comic reading really fun. I love it when it pops ups and folks leave thoughts and recommendations on what they are reading and have discovered loads of comics because of it.

So thanks for starting the thread!

broodblik

I like Black Hammer (the main series) but I have never read any of the spin-offs. Are they any good since Comixology has a sale on them? If so, which spin-off is worthwhile getting?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I'd suggest they are well worth a look. I've enjoyed them all and they create a real sense of universe and a solid world in which the main story takes place. They are also great stories in their own right as well. I'll not pull out favourites as each has a clear and identifiable parallel within mainstream comics and as such if you want to cherry pick I'd suggest going for the titles that have clear links to comics you might have read from DC (or Marvel I guess).

The Adventurer

Quote from: broodblik on 30 October, 2020, 07:10:37 AM
I like Black Hammer (the main series) but I have never read any of the spin-offs. Are they any good since Comixology has a sale on them? If so, which spin-off is worthwhile getting?

They are all good, but Doctor Star is on a whole other level.

I also like Quantum Age a lot, but that's because I'm a big Legion of Super-Heroes fan

Rately

David Rubin drew an issue of Black Hammer, i think the main series, and it was just phenomenal. Mind you, Dean Ormston's art is gorgeous, and so clear and dramatic, that i had to Google to make sure it was the same fella who was working on 2000AD when i was a youngster.

broodblik

I got Doctor Star, Quantum Age and Sherlock Frankenstein. The art of Black Hammer '45 is not my taste.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Adventurer

Black Hammer '45 is a fascinating book.  A weird war story of fine caliber. Kindt's a unique artist (and writer), I like 'im.

Colin YNWA

A host first issues and last issues in this haul of post lockdown wonders. As is often the case after a bit of a break where things starts is so much easier than catching up with where things have lead.

Usagi Yojimbo - The Wander's Road 1 feels like a slight story but it reads perfectly as Yojimbo climbs a ladder, annoys a butcher and meets his tokage.

Happy Hour 1 I mean this is the highest of high concept pieces by Milligan and Mike Montenat (who I know from somewhere but I can't remember where???). A world where you are forced to be happy for the good of all. Its a fairly clear metaphor and one I worry will stretch to breaking point. But as starters go it works. Speaking of high cocept and stretching to breaking point I detour from my issue 1 as I do wonder about Scumbag 2 . Its a fun read with fine art but I think it might get grating if there's not a change in quite how scumy the titular Scumbag is... but if he isn't the whole reason for the comic goes - its going to be a tricky balance to keep this book good.

Barbalien 1 - from the World of Black Hammer focus on another titular character and does it very well as Barbalien upsets folks both at home and as a cop in his new home. Fantastic start, lets see how we get on.  Another detour as speaking of The world of Black Hammer Colonel Weird - Cosmagog keeps up its excellent start by very much sticking to what worked in the first issue.

Backtrack 8 is solid - I'm sure I've dropped books I've enjoyed more but something about the simple pleasure of throwing and interesting(ish) cast around history in a wacky race just make sit easy to carry on with this one. Its also easy to carry on with We only find them when they're dead 3, though sometimes Simone Di Meo bright in your face art can be a little hard to read. Immortal Hulk 40 sees another issue, another introduction and the book not really feeling like its pushing things anymore. I mean I'm forty issues in to what is meant to be a 50 issue run I'm going to see this out but its lost its way a bit for me this one.

That Texas Blood 5 tells a simple story very well. a bloody Resident Alien (issue 1 of the new series I discuss elsewhere as it goes).

Then we have three endings that require a re-read of the series as a whole. X-Ray Robot has a cute cameo and is glorious but I need to go back to get the most out of this. Batman - The Maxx 5 ends this one in magnificently befuddling style as you'd expect. I'll read and end up just as befuddled and thinking this is just as magnificent no doubt. Hellblazer 12 end this series in such Hellblazer style, there moments of wonder but Jez do we know the cost is always more than the prize when it comes to Johnnies magic. Still it will be very cool to read this as one piece in the future.

Finally books of the haul. Well The Goddamned - The Virgin Brides turns this one on its head in a way I wasn't expecting at all. It looks simply incredible with R.M. Guera getting, somehow even better. i can't wait to see how this one finishes next time. BUT nothing tops Eric Powell on top form and in Ila Diabla 1 we have Eric Powell telling the various myths behind the title character and excitingly setting up a Graphic Novella featuring The Goon coming soon. This is superb comics and its about to get better.

I'm happy to be back at my nerd shop!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 December, 2020, 09:54:29 PM
Happy Hour 1 I mean this is the highest of high concept pieces by Milligan and Mike Montenat (who I know from somewhere but I can't remember where???). A world where you are forced to be happy for the good of all. Its a fairly clear metaphor and one I worry will stretch to breaking point. But as starters go it works. Speaking of high cocept and stretching to breaking point

It's been a busy time for Pete Milligan fans lately but this one didn't do it for me at all. Seemed way too broad and the art was that unpleasant, overly referenced style. American Ronin (which I discovered on the same day but might already have been on #2) was much more my speed. It's very clear an extension or update of the ideas behind Milligan's run on Human Target but mixed up with contemporary technobabble and the corporate espionage stuff from The Names.

Tomorrow started earlier in the year on Berger Books. Not sure if logistics or the content (a global pandemic wiping out all the adults) got in the way but it disappeared after a couple of issues until a trade popped up last week. Read it tonight and it's a good setup (Lord of the Flies with extra post-Apocalyptic tribal gangs) but unfortunately, despite the author's best intentions, the main character's autism doesn't feel well handled.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 December, 2020, 09:54:29 PM
Then we have three endings that require a re-read of the series as a whole. Hellblazer 12 end this series in such Hellblazer style, there moments of wonder but Jez do we know the cost is always more than the prize when it comes to Johnnies magic. Still it will be very cool to read this as one piece in the future.
Shouldn't have been surprised about how good a fit Spurrier was for Hellblazer but I've really enjoyed this series and looking forward to a reread. Probably not a shock that circulation has been low given some of the indignant rage directed at aspects of British politics which maybe aren't high on the agenda of the average comics reader,
We never really die.

CalHab

I think the reason for Hellblazer sales being low, and certainly the reason I didn't pick it up until #3, was that the character has been really, really badly served in the last few years. There have been some truly dismal takes on poor old Constantine and I didn't trust DC to turn it around. It wasn't until it started being acclaimed that I picked it up.

The cancellation is hugely short-sighted and confirms everything I thought about how DC is being managed.

Colin YNWA

Its the final haul of the year
ding dong
ding dong

Let's start with Immortal Hulk 41 - I'm losing touch with why I used to like this series so much. What starts as an interesting Hulk vs Thing issue drifts into a slightly curious chat in a diner with The Thing's reasoning serving the plot not the character to my eye and then another hideous body horror exposed at the end... I need to re-read this.

Strange Adventures 7 is pretty good, nice turn of events... well not nice but interesting. This just feels indulgent and doesn't serve a monthly read well. How it reads as one we'll see, but suspect it will be served better.

Backtrack 9 we're heading to the finish line with much to do. Another to be reflected on when re-read.

We only find them when they're dead 4 still struggle at times with the clarity of the storytelling, but the idea is strong and its moving on well. Looking forward to how this one develops.

The rest are a joy. Second Coming - Only begotten son 1 - Mark Russell is very possibly the best comic writer around at the moment. There I've said it. The return of this Jesus meets superhero series for a second run is a delight and the opening death of 'Krypton' scene is just hilarious, really, really sharp and funny. Can't recommend folks jumping onboard with this one if they haven't already.

Barbalien - Red Planet 2 is fantastic - as all the Black Hammer series have been almost uniformly. This one examines intolerance and homophobia head on and the internal struggles that brings with it - oh and throws in a hulking martian assasin for good measure.

Happy Hour 2 - actually speaking of Mark Russell this reads like Pete Milligan doing a Mark Russell high concept series with the same rich, dark humour running through. I mean sure Milligan has been doing this for years, but this one in particular reminds me of my current favourite. I was wondering how well this would find room in the high concept to make a story, I should never have doubted Milligan and this is powerful, emotional stuff.

What more can be said about Resident Alien - Your rides here - 2 its another brilliant series of this series of minis and as life in Patience continues on its way, sinister movements in the night remind is there is more going on here.

That Texas Blood 6 ends the first arc of this series in fine style, as we learn more about our cast and where they are headed and what lead them there. It will be fascinating to see how this moves forward and what will bind this to future arcs as they come along.

Book of the haul - well when Eric Powell releases a prestige format (showing my age there!) story featuring The Goon and a band of misfits fighting a vampiric overlord in this normal exceptional style there can be little doubt that Lords of Misery was going to get this. You know I said Mark Russell is the best comic writer, well Eric Powell is probably the best comic creator at this time.

Link Prime

Hello? This thread still exist? Colin...Adventurer...Anyone???

Had some rare non-Tharg related reads in my regular LCS delivery / potentially final Forbidden Planet UK delivery:

TMNT: The Last Ronin issue 2. Superb. As anyone who read the first issue is aware, there's only one aged and disconsolate Turtle left; [spoiler]Michelangelo[/spoiler]. This issue provides some flashback narrative, including the epic death of [spoiler]resident hothead Raphael[/spoiler]. Eastman himself delivers the compete artwork for a few pages too this time - always a pleasure.

BRZRKR issue 1. A much hyped release from Boom Studios, in collaboration with Cool Breeze over the Mountain. It was solid-ish. Great artwork, the old ultra-violence and an unfashionably straightforward premise. Enough potential to pre-order issue 2, but I am glad I didn't shell out big bucks for the crowd-funded version.

Spawn issue 315. Been getting this sporadically for over a year now. It's forgetful sci-fi horror, but the combination of a McFarlane cover, decent interior art and a €2.99 cover price means it's regularly just thrown into the online basket on a whim.