Main Menu

John Wagner see the completed film!

Started by Goaty, 25 May, 2012, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 12 June, 2012, 02:50:47 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 01:41:19 AM
I'm not liking this thing about modern cars and no flying cars which I've found out today also.  That picture of the buildings released the other day looked reasonably good but Mega city One needs to look very impressive and some of this don't sound too good guys.

I for one am darn glad there's no flying cars in Dredd, that whole futuristic-airborne-traffic thing has become such a well-worn cliche as to become just boring now, and I disagree that Mega-City One didn't look impressive in that shot released last week, it's just not impressive in the way you hoped it would look, the comic book MC-1 wouldn't fit the more gritty heightened-realism that DNA Films are going with on Dredd, and I'm finding it a breath of fresh air in comparison to the usual futuristic city schtick we see onscreen these days (Total Recall remake, we're looking at you)...

Has it?   There hasn't exactly been loads of films with flying cars.   I  can only count around 7 at the moment and one of them is Stallones Dredd.    There's nothing wrong with a few cliches in a film where people pretty much expect to see them anyway.

Spaceghost

Are flying cars really a dealbreaker here? I just couldn't care less...
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Crowded lanes of flying cars have been done to death by Fifth Element and the Star Wars prequels and cartoons.  Lone flying cars have been done brilliantly by Bladerunner and even Back to the Future.  There's no visual novelty to be had there.  In fact, the overuse of Coruscant itself is a big argument for keeping Dredd down to earth, however much I'd like to see the crazy version of MC-1.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 June, 2012, 08:12:55 AM
in fact, the overuse of Coruscant itself is a big argument for keeping Dredd down to earth, however much I'd like to see the crazy version of MC-1.

Yep...that vision is overdone and Coruscant jumped the shark, nuked the fridge.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

The Adventurer

I guess Yogi Berra was right, the Future ain't what it used to be, I guess.

Kids today and their 'micro futures'. Rassafrassa...

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Steve Green

Since I've been mentioned... I'll jump in here.

Flying cars make no odds to me, as people have said it's been done to death and it looks like they've made a conscious decision to separate it from that.

Even on our film, it's more about vehicles on roads, a lot of them with wheels. Yes, we've got flying vehicles in the background but we're also not bothered about commercial viability either that's why we can be faithful to the comic.

As for doing stuff for free, that's a very dangerous road for a couple of reasons - apart from the reason Joe mentioned, it's something that Digital Domain have tried where students actually pay to work as interns and that got a lot of criticism.

Working for free is not a sustainable business model.

Now, actually doing background areial traffic wouldn't have been a big deal as it would have been small, and the hard work is done in rotoscoping around foreground action for the background city blocks - the big question is why would you put it in if all the other vehicles are ground based, and contemporary?

If they'd wanted to put them in, they'd really have to do more on the ground in the way of vehicles, which have to stand up to more scrutiny and would be a lot more expensive.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 June, 2012, 09:42:50 AM
Even on our film

Superb, by the way, Steve. Very impressive....and for the Dredd team to show the love and tag you! No way the original Judge Minty would have been mentioned otherwise. Drinks all round!
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Steve Green

Cheers,

thanks - looking forward to seeing their take on Dredd.

Danbo

Flying cars I can give or take.Big FAT wheels on cars are what I want,Ian Gibson style and hovering H-Wagons.Would be cool to see something in the sequel but in no way is it a deal breaker.
The wide shot still of the city shows that it's in the future,good enough for me.Reminds me of what the capital city of Mad Max's world would look like if it had one with a dash of Cloud City.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Noisybast

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 12:59:15 AM
Couldn't they have got some of them to do some of the cgi on the cheap?

Fucking ridiculous idea.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

brendan1

Wow. John Wagner give it his approval makes me feel much happier. Great that they've been listening to him and correcting stuff. Mind you, you'd have to be a bit daft to not listen to John Wagner when making a Judge Dredd film.

As for his quibble about the vehicles not looking futuristic enough, well, that was a complaint many of us had when we saw the original rubbish cars and shitty-looking Lawmaster. Of course, that opinion was shouted down by everyone talking about fucking "perspective", "early Dredd vehicles would look like that" and "it's only early photography, they'll look geat in post-production"

Yeah.

Steve Green

Not everyone. Not sure how everyone can shout down many people anyway...

Some people were clutching at CGI straws and I said that it was unlikely they'd bother with dressing practical props if they were doing that.

Props obviously do look better when photographed properly, even the costume looks vastly better in some official photos than it does in others, but I never thought it likely that the vehicles would change, at best I'd hoped they might have slotted in some bigger vehicles that didn't jar with the route they'd gone.

[spoiler]The bulk of the film takes place in Peach Trees anyway, so it's pretty hard to justify spending a good portion of a small budget on a sequence that's probably going to be 10 minutes at the most[/spoiler]

Do I wish it had something more in the vehicle department? Sure. But I'm not going to let it bother me that much, as I had a pretty good idea of what is was going to look like a long time ago.

radiator

QuoteAs for his quibble about the vehicles not looking futuristic enough, well, that was a complaint many of us had when we saw the original rubbish cars and shitty-looking Lawmaster. Of course, that opinion was shouted down by everyone talking about fucking "perspective", "early Dredd vehicles would look like that" and "it's only early photography, they'll look geat in post-production"

Yeah.

It was always clear to me that the vehicles were what they were - people theorising that they were from a flashback scene etc were obviously clutching at straws. However I'm reserving judgement on the Lawmaster. The only reference we have for it is a very unflattering leaked shot - it could still look cool in the finished film. Jock said last year that from the footage he'd seen, he was actually most impressed with the lawmaster stuff so we shall see. Just a shame it was leaked the way it was.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: brendan1 on 12 June, 2012, 11:13:46 AM
Of course, that opinion was shouted down by everyone talking about fucking "perspective", "early Dredd vehicles would look like that" and "it's only early photography, they'll look geat in post-production"

Yeah.

We haven't seen the film yet.

Danbo

Not really film related but Dredd related..interview with Scott Ian from Anthrax ,halfway down he mentions a Dredd t shirt that has  'recently' been done by Alex Ross,one of the greats IMO...sounds cool.Don't know if the T's already out,just thought  I would share.
http://www.frontarmy.com/news/i-sold-my-soul-a-big-ass-interview-with-scott-ian-from-anthrax/#more-60983
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.