Started by Goaty, 25 May, 2012, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

shaolin_monkey

vzzbux

Just quickly re-read this thread.
A stonking plus from the Wagner droid for the film with a little negative and it's that little negative that gets pounced on.
Go figure?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

a chosen rider

Quote from: vzzbux on 28 May, 2012, 07:53:18 PM
Just quickly re-read this thread.
A stonking plus from the Wagner droid for the film with a little negative and it's that little negative that gets pounced on.
Go figure?

See, that minor negative was actually the thing that I found most reassuring, because that's what makes it clear that the rest of the comments are considered and genuine.  I trust a glowing review with a "but there was one tiny little thing that bugged me" caveat much more than I do one that's indiscriminately enthused about everything.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Judo

the messiah has declared it watchable and watch it we shall. God bless technology so there's no gossip word of mouth on what wagners opinion in. I've dodged most of the coverage for fear of furth skewing an already sideways image but I'm glad to hear its not an Alan Smithee situation. I have heard the music of mega city 1 on radio 6 and I really loved its dark retro 80s feel - spot on. Their discussion on the rock/electronica amongst fans was very interesting and I'm glad they settled on electronica x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Beaky Smoochies

John Wagner posts a little bit more on his Facebook regarding Dredd:

Re the vehicles: a point was made, valid to a large extent, that in a society like Mega-City One where most of the citizens are impoverished, retread vehicles would be the norm. Sorry, don't know when a trailer will be out, but the movie won't be long. No doubt you'll all come on here and let me know what you think when you've seen it!

I agree with him about the vehicles, I want to see a recognizable city in Dredd, it may be set in the future, just not the distant future, and the decade-after-next look and feel worked like gangbusters for RoboCop  and it'll do likewise for Dredd, and if the trailer was going to be shown before Prometheus, I think John Wagner would know, meaning it's likely not...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Danbo

I'm interested to know what IS futuristic about this Dredd and what have the SFX been spent on other than neon what we have seen so far,can't all have gone on muzzle flashes?
And its a genuine comment,not being flippant.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

PreacherCain

I think the point that MC-1 is primarily an impoverished, dirt-poor city and people would be driving crappy old models makes perfect sense. I inferred from Wagner's comment that maybe as it happens early in the film, it's not immediately apparent that this it is set in the future until it gets into 'Dreddworld' and therefore could be a bit jarring to newbies.

I'm sure people will figure it out though. What with, you know, the whole Judges thing. :D

Steve Green

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 29 May, 2012, 05:43:50 AM
I'm interested to know what IS futuristic about this Dredd and what have the SFX been spent on other than neon what we have seen so far,can't all have gone on muzzle flashes?
And its a genuine comment,not being flippant.

Can't really say on the futuristic, as we've only seen a few blocks dotted in the background.

Seem to recall the interior sets of the block had green screen from stills from the camera setup - so these would be used to add background - unsure if that was the interior of the block atrium or the outside, so it could be city, or extending the interior.

Slomo sequences will doubtless have something, but I don't imagine that a lot has been spent on effects in general. It's more things like that neon, just a bit of extra set-dressing possibly.

radiator

I would imagine most of the sfx shots would be the city backgrounds, but I don't expect it will look too much like the mc1 we know from the comics. Will hopefully look cool in its own way though.

PsychoGoatee

Very cool to hear the main man liked the movie, and extra cool to hear they addressed his concerns with it.

Now, hopefully we get too see it a bit sometime very soon, bring on the trailer!

GordyM

With regards to the look of the city I'm actually kinda hoping they don't make it look too futuristic as anyone who tries inevitably ends up being compared unfavourably to Blade Runner.

Anyway, I was extremely buzzed after reading Wagner's review. It's helped combat the fears I've been having ever since the rumours of behind the scenes problems (Alex Garland taking over etc) started cropping up on the news sites.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

HunterZolomon

If you look at many of the comic progs, the background scenery of Mega-City One is often quite low key. There is really no need for a lot of extravagant sci-fi backgrounds. A few shots at the beginning and end of the film should suffice, to show off the scale and setting.

Whether the city scenes look exactly like the comicbook or not isn't that important, as long as they're futuristic and don't look like a mundane modern city.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105