Main Menu

John Wagner see the completed film!

Started by Goaty, 25 May, 2012, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 01:04:35 AM
Quote from: The Bissler on 12 June, 2012, 01:02:44 AM
I'm sure fans would be more than happy to do just that, but would it be ethical to essentially get them to supply effects for free?...

If they wanted to then yes. 

Wouldn't the filmmakers then be open to negative publicity?  Headlines along the lines of; "No justice in Dredd's slave-labour special effects team"...

Also agree with Joe's comment.  Might be interesting as well to watch MC-1's technology and landscape grow and develop over the course of a trilogy (fingers crossed)!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 01:13:18 AM
Not necessarily if it's all mixed in well.    You could cgi a few really futuristic vehicles in with the modern ones in the foreground too.

Then the present day vehicles would stand-out on the ground too, especially if they're being used by the Judges who we'd assume control the best tech and resources in the city since they are the controlling class. The world they've created makes sense and at the end of the day can you rely on a bunch of fans to be there when you need them, in their spare time when changes are needed? Just a bad idea, these things cost time and money to be done right. They've used their budget well.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: The Bissler on 12 June, 2012, 01:13:44 AM
I'm sure fans would be more than happy to do just that, but would it be ethical to essentially get them to supply effects for free?...

Wouldn't the filmmakers then be open to negative publicity?  Headlines along the lines of; "No justice in Dredd's slave-labour special effects team"...

Also agree with Joe's comment.  Might be interesting as well to watch MC-1's technology and landscape grow and develop over the course of a trilogy (fingers crossed)!

I couldn't care less if they had negative publicity about slave labour and I don't think most other fans would too.   All I care about is whether the finished film looks really good and it doesn't have negative publicity for looking cheap.   That'll be far worse.

If I was DNA I'd get some talented fans who can do good cgi fast to spruce it up.   If I could do it I'd offer my services for free.   Unfortunately I've never done cgi though.   

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 01:20:06 AM

If I was DNA I'd get some talented fans who can do good cgi fast to spruce it up.   If I could do it I'd offer my services for free.   Unfortunately I've never done cgi though.

And those fans probably have day jobs that take up most of their time, you can't rely on such a scheme working well enough in a professional manner and getting things done for deadlines when you need them; all at the behest of an enthusiasts spare time. Those shots can take months and are subject to change. These piecemeal collective ideas just don't work.

The Bissler

I couldn't care less if they had negative publicity about slave labour and I don't think most other fans would too.   All I care about is whether the finished film looks really good and it doesn't have negative publicity for looking cheap.   That'll be far worse.

Like you, I'm a Dredd fan and I couldn't care less about what publicity surrounds the film.  I'm going to see it no matter what is said.  But all I'm worried about is that negative publicity could put off some non-Dredd filmgoers who may have gone to see it...  I just want the film to be a commercial success so more films can be made.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2012, 01:25:23 AM

And those fans probably have day jobs that take up most of their time, you can't rely on such a scheme working well enough in a professional manner and getting things done for deadlines when you need them; all at the behest of an enthusiasts spare time. Those shots can take months and are subject to change. These piecemeal collective ideas just don't work.

I can appreciate that but I just fail to see how some of the cgi artists working on this film couldn't have done a few flying cars etc.   Surely cgi's cheaper than what it used to be and getting better all the time.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: The Bissler on 12 June, 2012, 01:31:59 AM

Like you, I'm a Dredd fan and I couldn't care less about what publicity surrounds the film.  I'm going to see it no matter what is said.  But all I'm worried about is that negative publicity could put off some non-Dredd filmgoers who may have gone to see it...  I just want the film to be a commercial success so more films can be made.

So do I and I'm not going to totally bash the film before I see it.  I have certain reservations about what they're doing which I've already mentioned in the past but I'm not liking this thing about modern cars and no flying cars which I've found out today also.    That picture of the buildings released the other day looked reasonably good but Mega city One needs to look very impressive and some of this don't sound too good guys.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 01:36:41 AM
I can appreciate that but I just fail to see how some of the cgi artists working on this film couldn't have done a few flying cars etc.   Surely cgi's cheaper than what it used to be and getting better all the time.

because the more CGI you do the more TIME it takes and TIME costs MONEY. No matter what, you're paying people to work. It doesn't get done by itself and doesn't get done any faster; things still need to be designed by individual people and rendered by machines.

It's beside the point anyway as it's not the visual aesthetic they wanted for the film. Flying cars are not in the screenplay.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 12 June, 2012, 01:41:19 AM
I'm not liking this thing about modern cars and no flying cars which I've found out today also.

It's been publically known since the middle of the shoot in Winter 2010.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2012, 01:45:55 AM
I'm not liking this thing about modern cars and no flying cars which I've found out today also.

It's been publically known since the middle of the shoot in Winter 2010.

I must have missed that then.   I haven't really been keeping up with it.   

Let's hope it doesn't look like Threadbare City One!

JOE SOAP

No flying-cars in brief scenes featured at the beginning really shouldn't be a a deal-breaker in a film about Judge Dredd arresting an entire city-block.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2012, 01:52:39 AM
No flying-cars in brief scenes featured at the beginning really shouldn't be a a deal-breaker in a film about Judge Dredd arresting an entire city-block.

Let's hope not.   

Beaky Smoochies

I'm not liking this thing about modern cars and no flying cars which I've found out today also.  That picture of the buildings released the other day looked reasonably good but Mega city One needs to look very impressive and some of this don't sound too good guys.

I for one am darn glad there's no flying cars in Dredd, that whole futuristic-airborne-traffic thing has become such a well-worn cliche as to become just boring now, and I disagree that Mega-City One didn't look impressive in that shot released last week, it's just not impressive in the way you hoped it would look, the comic book MC-1 wouldn't fit the more gritty heightened-realism that DNA Films are going with on Dredd, and I'm finding it a breath of fresh air in comparison to the usual futuristic city schtick we see onscreen these days (Total Recall remake, we're looking at you)...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

minus

I've just looked at the Recall trailer and that city looks more like the Big Meg than what I've seen from Dredd so far. I really hope my doubts are squashed once they pull their fingers out and release a trailer. There is going to be some interesting debate going on once this thing is out.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: minus on 12 June, 2012, 04:08:12 AM
I've just looked at the Recall trailer and that city looks more like the Big Meg than what I've seen from Dredd so far. I really hope my doubts are squashed once they pull their fingers out and release a trailer. There is going to be some interesting debate going on once this thing is out.

It'll come to something if Total Recall looks more like Mega City than Dredd does.