Main Menu

DREDD Trailer!!!

Started by Rex The Runt, 18 June, 2012, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 June, 2012, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: The Bissler on 21 June, 2012, 11:48:42 AMBut given Dredd in his 70's, couldn't Clint still get away with it?  Right enough though, he'd probably be better suited to riding a mobility scooter rather than a Lawmaster!

I really don't think a man in his 80's is gonna run around a film set for 12 hours a day dressed in leathers on a hot South African day in service of a comic character he probably barely knows.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

opaque

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 21 June, 2012, 12:34:27 PMThe DREDD trailer depicts a big fuck-off megalopolistate (or, if you will, a megalo-police state) beyond anything that currently exists or is likely to in the next few years with or without nuclear devastation.

I'm expecting that to be summed up at the start of the film, nice aerial view of the continent, the size of the city shown,(between Boston and Washington wasn't it? which isn't really that big but remember you could fit the whole population of the world on a small island if you had to).
Is it nuclear war or is it something totally different? If you think of it this film looks very much like the America we saw in Origins BEFORE the Atom wars when Dredd was still in the academy. You could tie together environmental, political, financial collapse and end up with what we see in the trailer.
I don't see them having shielding technology for example. But I'm guessing things will be explained more in the film. The use of news footage in the trailer makes me think it could be expanded on with that if nothing else. I'm hoping for a summary at the start though.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: BOODA on 21 June, 2012, 12:43:18 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 June, 2012, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: The Bissler on 21 June, 2012, 11:48:42 AMBut given Dredd in his 70's, couldn't Clint still get away with it?  Right enough though, he'd probably be better suited to riding a mobility scooter rather than a Lawmaster!

I really don't think a man in his 80's is gonna run around a film set for 12 hours a day dressed in leathers on a hot South African day in service of a comic character he probably barely knows.
He'd never do it, he's retired from acting for one. Point is in principle the character is quite old so we shouldn't rule out a veteran actor. Also, as a film director Clint Eastwood likely puts in a lot more than 12hrs on set.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

HunterZolomon

The more times I watch the trailer, the more convinced I am they've made the right choices. I'm comparing clips with Stallone's version. The *only* thing I think the '95 version pulls off really well are the landscape shots of MC-1 at the beginning of the film. Stallone's version is more futuristic, cramped and comicbook faithful, whereas Urban's MC-1 seems darker, nihilistic and cold. I like them both, it's just a matter of different styles.

The new costume is clearly superior to the '95 version, especially the helmet. Also, for those of you who feel that a Judge should wear something conveying more status than the riot cop gear Urban wears, I can easily imagine the Judges in the new films wearing a far more polished "parade uniform" on occasion sporting a more prominent eagle. It makes more sense. If not in this film, then in Dredd 2. ;)

And then of course there is this:

"I'm the law." *assertive Eastwood cool*

VS.

"IAM! THELAW!" *drill sergeant bark*

The difference in delivery is huge. Urban's version is much more intimidating.

Adrian Bamforth

‎0:51 - "Day six of Fergee memorial riots"

Keef Monkey

I saw nothing in that trailer that was anything less than massively exciting. I was trying to watch it all sneakily at my desk at work but found myself pounding the desk and giggling with glee. Busted. Looks amazing.

Dirty Sanchez

It took the Judges six days to decide to stumm gas a riot? No wonder the place is falling apart.

I absolutely love the decaying, filthy chaotic B-movie look. An inner city Mad Max is definitely the correct aesthetic for this flick.

PsychoGoatee

My only complaint of the trailer showing too much, with potential spoilers... [spoiler]the final shot of the trailer, Dredd throwing the main villain of the film through a window[/spoiler]. Though it's not uncommon in trailers these days, and really, how else was it gonna go down?  :D

Also worth noting, the lawgiver is notably badass.

Cactus

I've watched the trailer a couple of times on my phone, I'm about to put my earphones in to watch it again with clearer sound, and I can't wait to see the official HD one on a decent screen when I get home, so overall I'm quite excited, but it does bug me that they can't spell "judgement".
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

PsychoGoatee

Ha, Mega-City One is in America you know. It's not misspelled, it fits the location of this particular period piece.

opaque

It's misspelled in the Dredd world though. It was Judgement Day not Judgment Day after all ;)

PsychoGoatee

As published in a UK comic, yes. Ha, I don't think purposefully not using American English spelling is a facet of the Dredd universe. But hey, maybe it is.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Goaty on 21 June, 2012, 12:41:11 PM
Wow, so jealous of Commando Forces! Wish for Goaty to appears! lol

but did that feed line says '...Judges Deploy Stumm Gas On Day Six Of Fergee Memorial Riots...' awesome!

Also it got advert says 'Kevlar suits - A bullet proof soloution to looking great' that what Judges wears!

Id be seriously made up with that, glad CF has gotten his name in lights :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

The Bissler

I pretty much agree with your assessment Hunter; the first 5 minutes of the Stallone Dredd was absolutely spot on, and I remember getting butterflies with the pass over MC-1, it was exactly as it was in the strip.  It was a shame it was such a mess from thereon in...
Re the new version, I did have my concerns (like many here) about the design of the city, vehicles, etc but I'm fairly satisfied with what I have seen in the trailer.  The shanty towns between the blocks just look like a breeding ground for criminality, and feels more real than anything in the last film.  Because the look of this sprawl is recognisable to most cinemagoers, it should also help the uninitiated relate much easier to Dredd's world. 
My only niggle was with the Hall of Justice, but other than that I think we are in for a more grounded and believable Dredd, and I have to say the action looks like it will be far more exciting than that of the Stallone mess.  Can't wait!

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: The Bissler on 21 June, 2012, 01:09:54 PMbut other than that I think we are in for a more grounded and believable Dredd

Though I'm hoping it's less believable and grounded in some aspects. For example, Anderson's psychic abilities.