Main Menu

Prog 1824 - Back of Beyond!

Started by JamesC, 16 March, 2013, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 17 March, 2013, 09:04:28 AM
Looks like it is from Golden Voyage of Sinbad. D'Israeli has used it before:
http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.co.uk/2007/01/stickleback-parts-3-4-references.html

But you are right. Lara Croft encountered a living Kali statue in one of the games.

If you are looking for Stickleback references I can humbly suggest the following:
https://sites.google.com/site/scarlettracesannotations/home

Thanks eamonn1961, some great references in the annotations. I finally managed to find the Alien face hugger which Tim mentioned (as well as an Alien egg on the top panel)!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

House of Usher

What a superb Prog!

Stickleback is undoubtedly the star turn. I'm not an especial fan of the character, but the world he lives in is good value (in Paddington Bear's sense of the term) and just got even more interesting (I mean fascinating).

This instalment of Judge Dredd is better than 'Wolves' for my money. Deporting former Sov citizens to East-Meg 2 in exchange for food didn't add up for me. Re-settling them all in Mega-City 2 is a very interesting premise. However, I cannot recall what state Mega-City 2 was in last time we saw it or what jurisdiction it was under.

The current Tharg's (three-wheelers?) serial is a bit of a slow burner for me. It reminds me (so far) of Tales from the Flat by Laurence Powell and Oliver Lambden, so it doesn't feel like reading anything new (yet).
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

Cracking Cover and a ten page intro to Stickleback, what's not to like?

I went striaght to Stickleback after a moments hesitation to read the Megs Insurrection III first, the Memsabib having kindly brought  both comics and also coffee to me bedside.

I spotted the usual refs in THE Library and had a chortle at each, (is there a backstory to those thirty pieces of silver between their first hand over to PP and where they are now?) but the great piece of storytelling is that last page and the [spoiler]Lizard proles, Big Lizards (Tips?) pulling carts, and the giant mecanno robots!![/spoiler] Looks like Stickleback has a bit o catching up to do.

The Dredd Story is a nice follow on from Wolves, I'm a bit uncomfy with the art, Sue me I'm an old git, but the body length seems out of wack and my usual moan about Dredd ( and now Hershey) lacking Gravitas too, one question, how did that assasin reconnect his/her hand?

Danbridge was fine, who are those Ghostbuster chappies?

Triller, not a cheap out of you Whistler, made me feel a right old git, if it wasn't for the clubbing, scanties, fags and bumfluff, I would swear they were all bairns, its not just Polis who look like freshfaced kids now...

Next prog : ZOMBO!!
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 March, 2013, 11:13:26 AMThis instalment of Judge Dredd is better than 'Wolves' for my money. Deporting former Sov citizens to East-Meg 2 in exchange for food didn't add up for me. Re-settling them all in Mega-City 2 is a very interesting premise. However, I cannot recall what state Mega-City 2 was in last time we saw it or what jurisdiction it was under.
It's varied between bombed-out wreck and rebuilt by Sino-City, the latter subsequently ret-conned out of existence. As for the strip in this issue, I thought it was a fantastic rollocking ride. Also, a really smart edit to clear up the mess at the end of the previous strip. Nicely done all round, I'd say.

vzzbux

Cudos to the Carroll Droid for pandering to us moaning bastards by dotting the i's and crossing the t's from that final panel from the other week. He is rapidly becoming my second fave Dredd stoty teller. Some writers hit the Dredd tales from other characters points of views, it's as if they are scared to try to get into Dredds head. Not too sure on the bike design. What is this now the mkIV? As opposed to the Willisher/Flint mkIII??

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

IndigoPrime

Reminded me a bit of Doug Braithwaite's version, which I always liked.

coastguardjackuk

An excellent prog. I swelled with pride to see Dredd accompanying the Hersh to the meet. Not like there's anyone else she would have taken of course but still nice to be reminded that not matter what differences they have there is still a strong and unspoken bond between them and there is nobody she would choose to have at her side more. The art was excellent and the lawmasters very cool.
The 'Insurrection' ad is worth the price of admission alone and got me thinking the unthinkable. How wonderful would it look in colour and who would be the droid best suited to take it on. That's not a question for here though of course.
I love Dandridge and must admit although there's no reason to compare them, I think he is eclipsing Ampney Cruscis at the moment as 2000AD's premier occult investigating cad about town. Shame the Pleece droid didn't commit to replicating an ACTUAL arcade game in the pub scene. Would have loved to have seen my old favourite Defender making an appearance in the prog. However, great to see Dandridge back and looking forward to the rest of the story.
Tharg's 3rillers was excellent. I chuckled at the 'Shining' poster but Meatloaf? I thought Simon was supposed to be cool! Couldn't work out the poster on the far left above "Tharg's 3rillers" if anyone can help. Stickleback was grand and a welcome return. The references and attention to detail are superb.
That only leaves the return of Zombo. There aren't many things that ease the stress of not seeing a letters page but a Zombo ad is one of them. Bring on next week!   
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

Molch-R

Quote from: vzzbux on 18 March, 2013, 01:38:53 PM
Cudos to the Carroll Droid for pandering to us moaning bastards by dotting the i's and crossing the t's from that final panel from the other week.

Worth pointing out that this episode was written and drawn well before the previous issue ever even reached the Nerve Centre, so it was pretty much the plan all along ;)

Mabs

An awesome prog! I still have Stickleback to read so i'll comment on the rest later, but i have to say my eyes were drawn to Tharg's 3riller, in particular to Simon's room which is a treasure trove for geeks! These are some of the stuff i spotted;

Star Wars;
Admiral Ackbar 'it's a trap' poster
Princess Leia poster
The Empire Strikes Back bed cover (original!)
Storm Trooper helmet

Judge Dredd;
Helmet
Anderson vs Death model work (who was that beside them though? Was it Joe Pineapples?)

Other posters;
No Country For Old Men
The Shining
Meatloaf
Pulp Fiction
Doctor Who
Aliens; Weyland Yutani
The Lord Of the Rings; Two Towers
V for Vendetta signature

Replica weapons
A lawgiver
Pulse rifle (Aliens)?
And some replica swords which i didn't recognise

Anyone spotted anything else please feel free to add!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

James Stacey

From memory there was a Stargate SG1 Jaffa staff weapon on the left of the pic.

Goaty

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 March, 2013, 01:32:13 PM

Yes

Goaty

Great prog!

Love all four stories, strong start to Dredd!

Mabs

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 March, 2013, 01:32:13 PM

Yes it was! I don't know how i could've missed that.  :-\

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

Dredds got some knickers on his helmet. There, now we know he's Bisexual. :lol:

hippynumber1

Is that not Hammerstein's 'new' head on the hat rack?