Main Menu

Locke & Key

Started by Dandontdare, 08 February, 2020, 08:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I'd forgotten this was in the pipeline, but it's just landed on Netflix today - there was no thread, so I thought I'd kick one off

I'm a huge fan of the books, as I know are many of you,and I'm nervous. I know nothing about this going into it, if I saw a trailer I've forgotten it, and I'm just about to dive in, so fingers crossed...

Dandontdare

I won't be doing this throughout, but I'm 3 minutes in and .... WTF?

IndigoPrime

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 February, 2020, 09:28:44 PM
WTF good or WTF bad?

WTF that wasn't in the comics ... like at all

IndigoPrime

I just hope it's good. The trailer was... odd in feel. (Mind you, that seems par for the course. Resident Alien's TV version looks fun, but it looks nothing like Hogan and Parkhouse's work.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 February, 2020, 09:38:13 PM
I just hope it's good. The trailer was... odd in feel. (Mind you, that seems par for the course. Resident Alien's TV version looks fun, but it looks nothing like Hogan and Parkhouse's work.)

Yeah the trailer for Resident Alien did seem to completely miss the tone of the comic. Made it seem like a goofy fish out of water number/ 3rd Rock from the Sun with less mapcap aliens. Still we'll see how it develops.

This is the problem with these things the comic can set out as one thing but to make the TV show commercial and viable it needs to become another. Still lets see how things develop and we alway the genius of the comics - in both cases - if the telly team drops the ball.

Trout

We've watched the first two parts and really enjoyed it. Kids were scared shitless. Good.

JamesC

I've watched the first 6 episodes and think it's great.
I read the comics a while ago so can't remember exactly what happens or recognise what changes have been made. I'd say they've got the mood and atmosphere absolutely spot on though.

Dandontdare

Only watched the first one so far. I'd agree the tone is right, and it looks pretty promising as a TV show, but they did whoosh through a lot of stuff very quickly - by the end of the first episode, [spoiler]Dobie's found two of the keys, Echo has been freed and gone to visit the killer kid in jail, and all three siblings are united that weird shit is going down[/spoiler] - things that were discovered slowly and subtly in the comics are rushed out with the aid of some tired TV tropes such as  [spoiler]the keys whispering  to Dobie and 'calling out' to be found[/spoiler]. They're definitely going for a "Stranger Things" vibe, just hope they don't divert too far from the source.

And I've still no clue what that opening scene was all about!

IndigoPrime

I don't really care if they diverge if the end result is good. I've already read the comics; I don't need to see that story on the screen, slavishly reworked as a copy and paste. Most translations that don't work mess up because they just feel off for some reason. Either they don't 'get' the source material, or they make a mess of it, or they replace it with something else – but something else that's objectively far worse.

(So Del Toro's Hellboy was very different from the comics, but the two movies – and especially the second one – just felt right to me. Dredd also. The Boys, for me, throws out most of the bits I hated about the comics, ramps up the good bits, and adds extras that have mostly worked well. But then there's Stallone's Dredd...)

Tomwe

Only seen E1 myself - I thought it was a great start. Been a while since I read the comics but felt it matched the tone in a positive way. Will be back for more unlike some other comic adaptations where I bail after just one (Umbrella) or struggle on until something else gets my attention (Titans)

Funt Solo

I finally got around to watching Stranger Things, so I'll be watching Locke & Key and letting you know what I think in ... oh, about three years.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Thoroughly enjoying this series! It's taken ages to find something episodic my partner will watch with me, but she's hooked! Eight episodes in, and gripped throughout. Definitely catches the flavour of the comics. Pleasantly surprised.

Proudhuff

Ditto, never read the comics, but enjoyed this hokum. Seen all the series now and happy to catch a second one, I guessed the two twists/key turns towards the end, but that never spoiled it.

DDT did a job on me

Radbacker

I don't normally binge my Netflix shows but I devoured this over 3 nights.  I've got the collected box set of the comics and really liked it, the show is just as good, they have changed a few things (some of the keys do different things and a few changed/moved about characters) but it definitely has the vibe of the comic (have I mentioned how good the comic is? Read it if you haven't) and they have changed things up enough that the series still throws a few supposes up.  I did guess pretty early the twist [/spoiler]having the face change key rather than the gender key gave it away a bit particularly if you have read the comic and were familiar with the whole Dodge thing that happens in it[/spoiler]
Waiting for next season now.  Still new Season af Altered Carbon drops this week to keep me busy

CU Radbacker