Main Menu

VAN HELSING'S TERROR TALES

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 30 October, 2020, 10:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Back up strips from Qualuty's old HOUSE OF HAMMER magazine- all between three and five pages, and in a nice collected edition from HoH publisher Dez Skinn.

The stories are as you'd expect- if you like short ghoulish British comics of the kind Scream! excelled at, you'll probably love this. I did. The list of creators alone should be enough to whet the appetite of anyone here. Among others we have: Jim Baikie, John Bolton, Joe Colquhoun, Dave Gibbons, Steve Moore, Steve Parkhouse and Ramon Sola.
And Angus McKie- who draws the first tale in the collection- and whose art is so similar to early Kev O'Neill that I'm wondering if they shared the same studio, or if Angus served as Kev's mentor in some way.

Anyway, while the paperstock is a bit too shiny and odorless for my liking, it's a tenner well spent. 82 pages, A4, paperback. Available through Ebay, direct from Dez.

SBT

M.I.K.

Strangely enough, I recently bought a copy as well. Very much my thing to the extent that some of the stuff I've done for Hallowscream in the past looks as if it's directly referencing/parodying bits from these stories, (which it isn't, 'cos I've only just read them).

Link Prime

Piqued my interest and I picked up a copy on Ebay there.

I'll go one further than grumpy old SBT and provide a link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Helsings-Terror-Tales-softcover-21-horror-shorts-from-House-of-Hammer-mag/223602056317?hash=item340fb89c7d:g:O38AAOSwC8FdPCVi

3 copies left according to the listing.

Colin YNWA

How did I miss this. Just had a nosey and as SBT says the creative line-up make this a must buy... so I have.

GordonR

It's a Dez Skinn Joint, so how much do you think the talented LLc comic pros here will be seeing in royalties from work they did decades ago?

(Hint: none.)

Colin YNWA

Well its landed and while I've not read it its an absolutely fascinating collection from the art side.

I was looking at David G Chester thinking - that's Dave Gibbons surely but then saw another strip by the same name but looked like someone trying to do Steve Ditko... huh. So looked at the back and indeed Dave Gibbons. So Dave Gibbons trying to do Steve Ditko.

Then you have Jim Baikie art like no Jim Baikie art I've seen before. Steve Parkhouse art like no Steve Parkhouse art I've seen before and artists I don't really know but seem wonderful.

Healthy sized beast nicely produced. Looking forward to reading it at some point.

Link Prime

Savored this over the past 3 nights.
No EC comics / Scream fan would be disappointed.
I genuinely enjoyed it more than any other read all year.

Thanks for bringing this gem of a collection to my attention SBT.  :thumbsup:

Colin YNWA

Yep read this over the last couple of evenings and its a glorious short story delight.

Quite tempted by the collections of the movie adaptations from Dez's ebay store  now...

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 November, 2020, 08:42:15 PM
Quite tempted by the collections of the movie adaptations from Dez's ebay store  now...

Yep, I am too. Recommendations welcome.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yeah, I was partway through putting a little collection of the original mags together, but I hadn't got very far. So, I think I will be dipping into the collected editions as well.

SBT