Main Menu

Prog 2209 - Bad Blood!

Started by broodblik, 25 November, 2020, 02:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Arkady on 25 November, 2020, 09:53:49 AM
Weirdly the DIGITAL edition is saying 'out of stock' for me on the website...

It is back in stock again
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Yeah I'd say Bonjo if anything, the spines are the giveaway even if the trunk is absent. Either that, or it's the subtlest attempt yet to infringe on Millsverse copyright.

Up till now I'd thought Hookjaw definitely had to be a 'one and done' story because it depended so much on the shock value of bringing back an old character in an unexpected form. Now that it's clearly gearing up for further chapters I've revised that opinion - it'll be interesting to see what twist they put on the next returnee (or indeed what they'll call the story).

Simply Normal completely flourishes this week. The first couple of instalments were good but perhaps a bit short of the Niemand droid's phenomenal standards; here, everything just pops in a succession of fantastic sequences. Likewise, bostin' Steve Austin moves into overdrive with some incredible panels. 

I'll tell you what - the forthcoming chapter of Slaine has got a lot to live up to now that this chapter of Fiends has comprehensively stolen its thunder. One of the best covers of the year this week, too.

But I'm sorry, nothing else in this prog lives up to the shock value of that extraordinary frame at the climax of Skip Tracer. Just what are those robots doing to the poor guy? Is there even a name for it?

Richard

QuoteIs there even a name for it?

[spoiler]Fist spit-roasting[/spoiler]?

This week's Dredd has moved up a notch in quality and Niemand is true to form. I had thought that a simp story would outstay its welcome after one or two episodes, but now I don't mind if it will go in for five. If Wagner has stopped doing 20-episode Dredd epics then let Niemand do one! (Not about simps though!)

Arkady

Enjoyed the little dig from Cyber-Matt, presumably aimed at certain verbose nostalgics with questionable interpretations of the past.

norton canes

Of course. That makes sense now :)

broodblik

Quote from: Arkady on 27 November, 2020, 02:57:18 PM
Enjoyed the little dig from Cyber-Matt, presumably aimed at certain verbose nostalgics with questionable interpretations of the past.

Thanks for that (since I never venture there) it was quite amusing 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Anyone still missing their subs copy? I got 2008, but 2009 still hasn't arrived (although one of the specials did).

Colin YNWA

Another stonker.

Dredd though is feeling a bit stretched. I'm enjoying it but it seems to be reveling in its page count rather than using itntom maximum affect. in 2000ad that can make things feel flabby.

Skipperty on the other hand covers its pages with a lot of stuff. Effectively and satisfyingly wrapping up the main story. Giving us a neat little epilogue and stringing ideas for the next story. This is still just an effective story but its having more impact.

Stickleback is just brilliant, thrilling and as monsters clash and magic and bullets fly we don't lose sight of nice little character touches.

Hockjaw damn this has a punch in its ending and mean that's an exclaimation mark of an ending, Just what this series needed and deserved. Excellent stuff. Even better we get "...." right at the end and I for one would more than welcome the return... well as 'God in the Shape of Beasts' doesn't head north and come back as a great white bear. I think we've all had enough of that for a bit!

Fiends best of the bunch though. We get action, we get sadness and we get a vampire (though we're doing the 'y' spelling with a thirst for revenge as much as blood. Superb.

Royal Mail might be making us wait, but Tharg is making it worth it. ... oh but we're getting a chopped and changed Sinister Dexter back next Prog. I'm always happy to have Sinister Dexter but PLEASE Tharg can we have it back, not just as filler! Give us the run we were promised and fill the gaps with Future Shocks which are designed to work in small chunks.

hippynumber1

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 November, 2020, 03:33:07 PM
Anyone still missing their subs copy? I got 2008, but 2009 still hasn't arrived (although one of the specials did).

Yeah, still haven't had mine. 😔

Barrington Boots

Prog still MIA as of this morning. Sympathetic to Tharg, but I have had non-parcel post arrive that was posted midweek this week, so it's not just general Royal Mail slowdown. Perhaps the issue is with processing the bulk shipments?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Hard to know what the disruption is. The Prog, for whatever reason, seems particularly hard-hit. Mini-IP's Beano showed up today (although her Phoenix hasn't yet arrived). I guess it is what it is.

The Amstor Computer

My copy of 2208 finally arrived this Wednesday along with the new Meg, but 2209 is nowhere to be seen. I'm going to chase up if there's no sign of it on Monday as it will then be nearly a week past the date it was on the shelves. No trace of prog 2210 either, but given how the last couple of months have gone I'm not expecting it until Tuesday or Wednesday next week at the earliest.

ianlineham@yahoo.com

2209 just turned up but first comment is that its nice to see Tharg getting a little dig in via the Damage Report

JayzusB.Christ

Yep, I love the damage report- this is where Tharg gets to be the fun, smart arsed Tharg of old.  Long may it continue. 

Good prog, this one. I've been losing interest over the years and really wishing I loved 2000ad like in used to, but a good Dredd writer goes a long way, and the Niemand droid is one.  Patsy's idea to clear the crowd was truly inspired, and a nice nod to ancient MC1 history.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Beaker

Nah...not had mine yet, but have got 2210 delivered yesterday.

Going to have to e.mail them as they're not taking calls at the moment.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'