Main Menu

Prog 2219 - Stand and Deliver

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 February, 2021, 08:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Cover: It's an extender! I'd love a pair of glasses or maybe some kind of magic prism with a 'Dylan Teague' filter that lets you see the world in his scintillating flare-flecked, bleached-out tones.

Dredd: Pre-cog time - this summer's mega-epic to be a ten-part Niemand-penned story where all his supporting characters team up to stop Dredd issuing a jaywalking chit to an eldster trying to visit their sick grand-daughter

(Is there any reason why the freight terminal is called 'Orinoco'? Has to be a reference there I'm missing.)

Slaine:

The vault keeper has pink, fresh, baby skin that is disturbing to see on such an old man. It's because he's only just regenerated.

He's sloughed his skin so many times, you can almost see the toad inside him.

He kindles my displeasure.

Just quoting that because if any other comic strip has a better piece of opening prose, I'm not sure I've seen it.

Vex: Little Vex looks like a character an ad agency might have designed to advertise ZX Spectrums. Can't wait to see the Big Citheronians in 'ingestion' mode.

Red: Layers and layers! Who needs a Strontium Dog revamp when you've got this vamp?

Hershey: It's been good but I think I would've enjoyed it even more if it had been a completely clean break and not had callbacks to the Small House storyline.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 18 February, 2021, 11:07:11 AM
(Is there any reason why the freight terminal is called 'Orinoco'? Has to be a reference there I'm missing.)

Large South American river? Can't think what that might be a reference to. Nosiree. No politics here, thankyouverymuch!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Is there any reason why the freight terminal is called 'Orinoco'?

Because Sinister Dexter had already taken Congo?

With you on the Sláine narration. It's top stuff. 

norton canes

Grud's sake. Someone clearly zapped me with a stupid gun this morning.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 18 February, 2021, 01:22:55 PM
Grud's sake. Someone clearly zapped me with a stupid gun this morning.

It's a barbed critique of that capitalist master of the patriarchy, Great Uncle Bulgaria.  ;)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JimmyNailz

Its CLEARY a commentary on the overt capitalism of the recording artist, Enya!!!!

Tjm86

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 18 February, 2021, 03:29:15 PM

Its CLEARY a commentary on the overt capitalism of the recording artist, Enya!!!!

Just to let you know, you may want to have your spellchecker looked at ... there is an 'r' missing in that sentence.

DrJomster

More love for the Goddard droid here.
   Cityscapes: tick.
   Awesome cityscapes: tick.
   Jaw droppingly awesome cityscapes: tick.

A great little story too. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Good prog this. Well done, those droids!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Sean SD

Another very good prog - well done droids  :)

My Top 3 for Prog 2219

1st - Dredd - Niemand droid again on form here, great MC1 art
2nd - Proteus Vex - nice work by the Flesh - Pilot dude, looking forward to next ep
3rd - Durham Red - well done story and art with space to breathe, also brain beanie lol

Re Dredd story: Orinoco Flow - Enya song with chorus "Sail away, sail away, sail away" maybe future advert jingle for Orinoco couriers?

maryanddavid

Fantastic Dredd, a Dredd with Minimal Dredd! Goddard just gets better.

I was a bit disappointed at Flint not on Vex duties, Jake Lynch, whose art I have enjoyed before works even better than Flints, who I would put up as the modern master on 2000 AD. Really great tale, and a strong character too, a welcome addition.

The art on Slaine is INCREDIBLE, good tale, fitting finale, based in Mayo(and Sligo) too :D

Red is a decent 'Tales for the Doghouse', a bit drawn out, but well told.

Hershey, fantastic art, some of Simon's best, I feel I'm missing something in the story though.

Good prog, read it wanting more.

Judge Olde

Quote from: maryanddavid on 21 February, 2021, 01:32:18 AM
Hershey, fantastic art, some of Simon's best, I feel I'm missing something in the story though.

I think an ending to this part of the story, maybe

Mikey

What I've really loved with Niemand's Dredds recently is the fact they're focusing on the city and its inhabitants. Mega City One was always as much of a character as Dredd during the years of my 2000ad imprinting and it just brings it alive for me when the focus isn't simply on Justice Department.

And yes, some of the finest cityscaping I ever did lay me peepers on from Goddard & Teague. Just wonder inducing stuff!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.