Main Menu

Prog 2225 - Justice Served

Started by Magnetica, 27 March, 2021, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Not a bad prog overall but the prog feels little like it is in middle of everything.

Dredd – Another Dredd story from the pen of Niemand and what a great opening he delivers. Tom Foster provides some great visuals, and the last panel is reminiscing of Brian Bolland. Top thrill for this week

Thistlebone – The build-up continues with a very talkative episode and Eglinton's script hits the spot and Davis art and panel placement adds to the creepy narrative.

Deadworld – Another dark twisted story in the continuous misadventures of our darker judges.

Terror Tales – As with Deadwordl a dark and twisted tale which felt very much like déjà vu I have read this somewhere before but can not put my finger on it. 

Feral & Foe – Another great episode with some great character interaction (or banter). Both Abnett and Elson knows how to deliver. Great story.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Timothy

Quote from: The Corinthian on 30 March, 2021, 01:15:07 PM
Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 March, 2021, 11:59:22 AMSide note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys?

Buell and Garcia were usually portrayed as being basically decent. And there are a few stories where SJS give Dredd a hard time because it's their job rather than out of actual malevolence.

Don't forget Gerhart.

sintec

It's all about the horror this week really isn't it, with Thistlebone, Deadworld and a Terror Tale all delivering different takes on that style.  Not that I'm complaing I love a good horror story.  The Terror Tale maybe feels like the weakest of the bunch, it's just a story that's been done so many times before. Deadworld is a glorious little pyromanic love story and Thistlebone just keeps ramping up the tension with tales of searing flesh and mutilated badgers.

Bookending the horror we've got the start of a new Dredd which is shaping up well - concur with those upthread that it's hard to see this ending well for Asher. And Feral and Foe providing some much needed comic relief, love the first series and this one is shaping up really well.

with another 3riller joining the mix next week I guess the end of Slaine is still a few weeks away.

broodblik

Quote from: sintec on 31 March, 2021, 11:23:20 AM
with another 3riller joining the mix next week I guess the end of Slaine is still a few weeks away.

Might be earlier depending how many episodes Visions of Deadworld will be running for. I think that Intestinauts will run after the 3riller "Chorus & the Ring".
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Did we know that Titan inmates were castrated, or is this just an unpleasant joke/implication on the part of the SJS office? It makes a certain kind of sense that external genetlia would be a liability working in a vacuum, so maybe some kind of surgical repositioning is what is being alluded to. 

Either way the existence of Vienna seems even more improbable now.

norton canes

Quote from: ianlineham@yahoo.com on 30 March, 2021, 02:33:15 PM
Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 March, 2021, 11:59:22 AM
Side note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys?

They literally have skulls on their helmets

"Are we the baddies?"

Excellent!

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 30 March, 2021, 01:41:23 PM
Visions of Deadworld... The thought of this one having a follow up is almost too awful to contemplate (in a good way)

Of course, I now rememver the Fire - Despair romance was actually followed up in the original Visions of Deadworld, but there's bound to be some other horrific chapter in this story.

Seeing Judge Fire getting high and getting it on with his lady, like a university student, is the image my 2021 probably didn't need.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

A nicely gruesome prog, all told. Poor Dredd just doesn't seem to get to run things his own way when the Niemand droid is on script duties, does he? Must be frustrating, hope he doesn't lose his cool. Better Thistlebone this week but Seema is still short on characterisation. Also, the guy did well not to lose that eye! Kek-W's Deadworld tales are always more satisfying when he adds some humour into the mix and Dave Kendall's art is as magnificent as ever. Really liked 'Half Life' but thought it didn't actually need the last page - Aaron Doplo smashing his head repeatedly against the wall seemed a satisfyingly sick twist in itself. Did love that the judge handed down a sentence of forty years with a recommendation to serve twenty, nice touch. Feral & Foe treading water a little perhaps this week, but impossible to fault, really. Richard Elson's depiction of the wilderness reminds me very much of Gary Chalk's board art for the 2nd edition of Talisman.

TordelBack

Quote from: norton canes on 01 April, 2021, 12:03:40 PM
Better Thistlebone this week  ... the guy did well not to lose that eye!

I thought this was an interesting choice, given the importance of the loss/sacrifice of an eye in the first series. That Hillman suffered appalling injuries to one side of his face but retained the eye seems significant.

norton canes

Good point. You're more well versed in the ongoing plot than me!

Forgot to mention the Foster droid's excellent cover. Like Dave Taylor, he seems to delight in making Dredd look very old and very gaunt.

Richard

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 March, 2021, 01:21:24 PM
the existence of Vienna seems even more improbable now.

Not really. The policy may only have been introduced some time within the last 50 years.

Funt Solo

Saving this question up for my upcoming interview with a Mr. P. Mills of France: "Knowing how much you love intricate, decades-old continuity questions, is tadger removal canon for Titan inmates and, if so, how did Vienna's mum get pregnant? You have ten seconds to answer sensibly or you will be berated (and, yes, I was sent here by editorial to punish you)."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

see i always thought Vienna was from Rico's pre-Titan days.  The it does raise the thorny question of age doesn't it, considering how old she is when we first meet her.

The Corinthian

Quote from: Tjm86 on 01 April, 2021, 08:15:47 PM
see i always thought Vienna was from Rico's pre-Titan days.  The it does raise the thorny question of age doesn't it, considering how old she is when we first meet her.
Rico's been on Titan for 20 years in 'The Return of Rico!' (published in 1977) and Vienna's about five when we first meet her in the eponymous story from two years later.

Wagner did eventually come up with a plausible-ish explanation in one of Vienna's 21st century appearances.

Richard

In prog 1300 there was a flashback to when a journalist went to Titan to interview Rico there, and one thing led to another. That was some time in the 2090s.