Main Menu

NEXT UP - Bolt-01 Cup - the best of Strontium Dog Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 July, 2021, 06:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Hi folks,

Normal fare at the beginning of any tourney. A thread to set things up, explain the format of the tourney, rules etc, etc - basically just a place I can link to in the votes with explanations about what the heck we are up to.

So I'm hoping (gulp little behind in set-up on this one so hoping I get this done on time, figure if I say I will, I'll have no choice!) to kick this one off Monday - let's see what the next few day bring and I might have to push things back a week... we'll see.

So hopefully to be included here:

Format of qualifying
What stories will be included in each 'territory/region' (this will be explained in format)
What isn't included
What will happen after qualifying - the final tournament - its all new, all shiny... well kinda
Rules(ish)

Stick with it - this one might get bumpy as I'm NOWHERE near as prepared as normal!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sheridan

I can foresee some difficult decisions ahead, depending on which stories get matched against each other...

AlexF

Am def. gonna cram in some re-reading, especially of the more recent era.

I truly love 'The Kreeler Conspiracy' but it's a real oddball in the context of wider Strontium Dog - I venture it might not even count in a tourney such as this..?

Tjm86

Be interesting to see how this is organised.  I wonder about the rounds, are we talking about 'era's?  I can see some mileage there:
- Starlord era;
- Starlord to  "Portrait of a Mutant"
- ... to Rage;
- ... to Final Solution; [actually quite a long stretch from Rage to FS ... tales like "Bitch", "Royal Affair" and "Rammy" had more of a comedic tinge to them than some of the other tales of this time so perhaps a break there?]
- Revival Era.

Spin off rounds with Strontium Dogs / Tales from the Doghouse / Middenface tales, Judgement Day, ...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2021, 09:20:12 AM
Be interesting to see how this is organised.  I wonder about the rounds, are we talking about 'era's?  I can see some mileage there:

Well let's answer that...whether its interesting or just baffling I'll let you decide...

Format - Part 1

So see since we in England managed to fuck up the Euro's by being a violent hate filled mod I've decided this isn't formated in tribute to that and instead a mini World Cup, complete with 'region' based qualifying.

Rather than those regions being continents, or vaguely aligned geo-political groups. I've organised all Strontium Dog stories (gulp I hope) into groups based on story length, time and place of publication. There will be mini tourneys in each 'region' from which we will get 16 into the final tourney.

So the 'regions' are:

Epic = Stories (from the Prog) more than 10 episode's long (so 11 or more) - 10 entrants

Long = Stories (from the Prog) between 5 - 10 episodes long - 10 entrants

Short = Stories (fromm the Prog) between 1 - 4 episodes long - 9 entrants

Relaunch = Okay when I say from the Prog I mean classic era - up to Johnny's death, post relaunch stuff goes into a separate category ... this one...here - 9 entrants

Resurrection = Okay when I post relaunch I mean post relaunch to resurrection, the resurrection and beyond stuff I've put in here - 7 entrants... maybe... I need help here[\i]...

Annuals and Specials = well it speaks for itself stuff from annuals and specials - 12 entrants

Starlord = The strips from Starlord - 7 entrants

So more to come on this BUT let's run a list to see if anyone can spot stuff I've missed!

Tjm86

Nah, that works too.  By 'relaunch' are you talking about post Death of Wulf (Rage) through to Final Solution?  Or do you mean from Prog 2000-ish until Life and Death? 

The only thing that seems missing to me is Tales from the Doghouse / Strontium Dogs ...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2021, 02:44:02 PM
Nah, that works too.  By 'relaunch' are you talking about post Death of Wulf (Rage) through to Final Solution?  Or do you mean from Prog 2000-ish until Life and Death?

Kreeler Conspiracy through to Mork Whisperer, surely?
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

All good things come to those that wait... and so...

Entrants - Epic and Long

If anyone spot any errors please shout out quick so I can juggle me qualifying set up asap...

For Epic I get:

Journey into Hell   15
Portrait of a Mutant   19
The Moses Incident   11
Outlaw         23
Max Bubba       21
Rage                 21
Bitch                 25
The Stone Killers   13
The Final Solution   28
Judgement Day*   26

*Come at me... come at me...

For Long I get:

The Galaxy Killers       9
The Schicklgruber Grab   7
The Kid-Knee Caper      6
Big Bust of 49         9
Incident on Mayger Minor   7
The Royal Affair       5
The Killing                 10
Slavers of Drule       10         
The Rammy          10   
The No-Go Job         8

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2021, 05:27:05 PM
Judgement Day*   26
It's twenty episodes including the six in the Meg, not 20 plus 6.
We never really die.

Leigh S

Looks good though from a purely "Epci feel" sense, to me the cut off would be Journey into Hell and above as Epic, with Moses Incident and Stone Killers both feeling more kinship with The Killing & The Slavers of Drule

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 July, 2021, 05:42:10 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2021, 05:27:05 PM
Judgement Day*   26
It's twenty episodes including the six in the Meg, not 20 plus 6.

Arrrrhhh okay numbers boy.

Thanks for the correction.