Main Menu

Steven S.DeKnight vs CB Cebulski

Started by milstar, 12 October, 2021, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

https://screenrant.com/marvel-controversy-cb-cebulski-akira-yosihda-steven-deknight/

I know this has been a long ago, and DeKnight is a bit late to the party, but he has a point here. But it's bonkers tying up his show with because of CB's wrongdoings in the past.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tomwe

Quote from: milstar on 12 October, 2021, 01:42:35 PM
But it's bonkers tying up his show with because of CB's wrongdoings in the past.
He's tying up his writing of various Marvel comics, under CB. The DD tv show ended some time ago.

CalHab

The Cebulski thing is so utterly insane. Senior people at Marvel must have known and that's why they won't deal with it, because it would bring their position into question. "Akira Yoshida" was getting paid and must have had a contract, after all.

milstar

Quote from: CalHab on 12 October, 2021, 03:58:54 PM
The Cebulski thing is so utterly insane. Senior people at Marvel must have known and that's why they won't deal with it, because it would bring their position into question. "Akira Yoshida" was getting paid and must have had a contract, after all.

I am not sure about that. Does 2000ad editors know who Ken Niemand is?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: milstar on 12 October, 2021, 06:24:59 PM

A lot of folks on Facebook certainly think they do!

Yeah it seems apparent that 2000ad staff know who Ken Niemand is really.

Funt Solo

It's quite ironic how much fandom's all in a frenzy over Ken Niemand being a pen-name. Because, and I realize this may not be obvious, my real name doesn't rhyme with [Scunthorpe].

Farcebookers are bound to be a bit more upset because so many of them use actual factual monikers. Plus, the MAGAverse hierarchy have a long-running grudge with Rennie (I was shown that they're currently posting art of him as a grotesque slime monster) and are obsessed with their pet theory of him being Niemand.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 October, 2021, 07:05:10 PM
It's quite ironic how much fandom's all in a frenzy over Ken Niemand being a pen-name. Because, and I realize this may not be obvious, my real name doesn't rhyme with [Scunthorpe].

Farcebookers are bound to be a bit more upset because so many of them use actual factual monikers. Plus, the MAGAverse hierarchy have a long-running grudge with Rennie (I was shown that they're currently posting art of him as a grotesque slime monster) and are obsessed with their pet theory of him being Niemand.

Don't know about MAGA, but apparently many buy that Rennie is Niemand thanks to Mills' tweet.

M.I.K.

Quote from: milstar on 12 October, 2021, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 October, 2021, 07:05:10 PM

Don't know about MAGA, but apparently many buy that Rennie is Niemand thanks to Mills' tweet.

...Mills believing it to be the case, purely because that's what he's been told by halfwits on t'internet.

Tomwe

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 October, 2021, 06:29:50 PM

Oh, for God's sake. From the very early days of 2000AD various writers (and artists) have used pseudonyms and of course editorial have known who they are, unless they're deliberately obfuscating their contributions through an agent to avoid it being known that they [spoiler]were also actually the editor. Mentioning no names.[/spoiler]

"Ken" was on a Thrillcast and and right up front they addressed the fact that, yes, his name is a pseudonym. It's not a secret that this is the case. I'm sure Rebellion accounts knows who to make the payments to. I'm sure Tharg know where to send the Rigellian Hotshots.

(There are actually very good reasons for segmenting a writing career with different publishing names, apart from the convention of using a different name if yours is already in use. The BIG one, which Charles Stross blogged about a few years back, is that book distributors will use the sales of your last book to estimate orders for your next book. If you write a wildly successful YA book that hits the bestseller list one year, then a literary fiction novel the next, the distributors will over-order the literary book based on the massive sales of the YA one, then drastically cut the orders for the book after that based on the 'low' sales of the literary one, even though the next one is a follow-up to the YA bestseller. There's a reason Iain Banks chose to distinguish his SF from his 'literary' novels by adding the "M" to his name for the SF — it got him two separate columns on the distributors' spreadsheet.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tomwe on 12 October, 2021, 10:47:49 PM
That got off-topic quick.

Unwritten Laws of the Forum #23: any topic started on a Tuesday eventually devolves to bashing Mills.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Tomwe on 12 October, 2021, 10:47:49 PM
That got off-topic quick.

Yes, and I take absolute fault for it. Though, who Ken Niemand is, may stalk forum members for some time.
Can any subsequent post be about the topic at hand?

Tjm86

Quote from: milstar on 12 October, 2021, 06:24:59 PM

I'm not sure that the two are comparable.  Looking at the original linked article the major issue is with cultural appropriation.  Cebulski presented as Japanese under the Yoshida pseudonym to give his work a specific cultural authenticity. 

On the other hand Niemand is, as Jim quite rightly points out, simply a pseudonym for a writer looking to segment work.  There is no inference regarding his persona that is being used to give cultural cachet in the same way that Cebulski allegedly was. 

It's more like back in the day when 90% of the prog was written by Grant and Wagner so they used pseudonyms to hide the fact.  [please bear in mind the rule of thumb that any percentages that are multiples of 10 should be considered suspect / estimates].

CalHab

Deleted post, as I see Jim made a similar (and more helpful) post above.

CalHab

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 October, 2021, 07:51:44 AM
On the other hand Niemand is, as Jim quite rightly points out, simply a pseudonym for a writer looking to segment work.

Yeah, If I remember right, in the Thrillcast "Niemand" mentions that he's a writer for television and radio.