Main Menu

FFT - What if? Derby Week Tie 13 - Future Shocks vs 3rillers

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 September, 2022, 06:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sponsored by 2000ad in Stages - see links below.

Future Shocks - more info

VS

3rillers - more info

What if we'd got the derby ties I always hoped for? The short form space filler has changed and while Future Shocks has had many imitators it still remains the single part staple of the Prog. 3riller is a new(ish) of the short form story. Expanding them for the modern era to 3 parts. Both often serve as try out but is the new format more to your taste?

b]To Vote[/b] Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 1st October and the winner gets a place ... well nowt this is just for fun.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Hold on I thought all this nonsense was over? Well yeah but... see well I've explained that

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

I think Future Shocks have run their course and the way forward is definitely 3rillers. But no 3riller can match the best Future Shocks from the classic period.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

rogue69

AlexF

Look, most 3rillers are miles better than most Future Shocks (Gunheadz is my fave, as good as any Future Shock). And more than a few have gone on to deliver great recurring characters (Survival Geeks, Saphir), who probably wouldn't get to prove themselves in single-episode format. But I'm not in love with that very format - I prefer the idea of self-contained stories in a single Prog, even if a lot of them end up sucking. It's one of the reasons why both Judge Dredd and Sinister Dexter are so welcome.

Future Shocks, no contest. I'm probably alone in thinking Vector 13 was the single best one-off story series the Prog has run...

NapalmKev

Quote from: AlexF on 28 September, 2022, 10:29:12 AM

I'm probably alone in thinking Vector 13 was the single best one-off story series the Prog has run...

You're not alone, I really liked Vector 13!

Future Shocks.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Another vote for Vector 13, but otherwise Future Shocks.

SBT

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

IndigoPrime

Honestly, I'm going for 3rillers. Future Shocks are vitally important and we've had many crackers. But we've also had a ton of filler. I want them to stay in the Prog, but also many of the recent ones have become thematically samey. 3rillers, meanwhile, has provided space for a Future Shock-style story to breathe and a means of backdoor series pilots for those that especially click.

paddykafka

For the wonderful and absolutely hilarious "Reefer Madness" alone, I'm giving my vote to 3rillers. Hands down, it is, without doubt, one of my favourite ever short strips published in Tooth's history.

"Munchies! Must have Munchies!"

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: paddykafka on 30 September, 2022, 02:58:47 PM
For the wonderful and absolutely hilarious "Reefer Madness" alone, I'm giving my vote to 3rillers. Hands down, it is, without doubt, one of my favourite ever short strips published in Tooth's history.

"Munchies! Must have Munchies!"

Um, that was a Terror Tale.
@jamesfeistdraws