Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Professor Bear

She won't do too well now that her views have come to light - we don't usually vote for liberals in Northern Ireland.

Tiplodocus

I wonder why she wants CCTV in all slaughterhouses. She might be one of those freak-out vegetarians.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

I'd rather have cctv, streaming online 24/7, in every MP's office so we can see who they're meeting and what they're up to.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 April, 2015, 08:32:54 AMI wonder why she wants CCTV in all slaughterhouses.
As proof they're not using halal methods, presumably. She's a nutcase, but as others have been saying, the DUP often think similarly, but just aren't stupid enough to state all these things outright. The UK's own little Tea Party (even more so than UKIP).

Prodigal2

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 April, 2015, 07:14:02 AM
Quote from: King Pops on 27 April, 2015, 03:03:03 AM
Here;

Seriously.

She sounds delightful!

This woman will receive my vote and I am also delighted to read that she is white as well.

Get in.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 April, 2015, 09:19:58 AM
As proof they're not using halal methods, presumably.

Which is particularly ironic, because the vast majority of halal meat in the UK is produced from pre-stunned animals and, if the animal is stunned, then there is no significant difference between the 'normal' slaughtering process and halal, other than the requirement for a muslim to do the slaughtering with a specific knife. (Regular slaughter is still done by a bloke with a knife.)

Kosher meat, on the other hand, must be produced from the slaughter of an un-stunned animal. Odd how keen people are to attack Islamic religious tradition and simultaneously reluctant to condemn the same practices in Judaism.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Yet Jews, Christians and Muslims kill each other with the same, un-blessed bullets. It's a crazy world!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 April, 2015, 11:16:19 AMthere is no significant difference between the 'normal' slaughtering process and halal

I've worked in slaughterhouses, and while admitting that every factory doesn't have the same standards*, the Halal process sounds a lot more humane than the processes I witnessed firsthand.
CCTV in a slaughterhouse is also a fucking stupid idea that betrays what a political tourist that woman is**: the industry won't go for it because even the most stringently-run factories still has the odd mistake and the footage would be used forever by animal rights groups, unions won't want it because it's an invasion of privacy, and workers won't want it because few people want to be filmed at work, let alone slaughterhouse workers, some of whom may be working a second or third job on top of claiming benefits just to make ends meet.

* Although I gather there might be pesky laws requiring that they do.
** Although I do like the juxtaposition she's going for by asking for tougher sentences for animal cruelty on one hand and the criminalisation of homosexuality on the other, like when old Adolf put out that election flyer calling for (1) the industrialised genocide of jews, and (2) vegetarian sausages to be offered in the canteen.

IndigoPrime

Well, bear in mind her own commitments are about a return to 1920s family living (MEN should provide MONEY, and women should stay in the kitchen), yet she's trying to be an MP. So if she were elected, presumably she'd have to immediately resign and have a man take her job. Or something.

If nothing else, this last week has been a revelation regarding NI. I never realised quite the level of crazy there when it comes to politics. The UK's own little slice of Tea Party in action (and, as it turns out, with laws that even make it so the UK's recent changes to satire/fair use are essentially meaningless because NI didn't go for them).

Hawkmumbler

"Oppose feminism" and this was written by a female politician? What world am I living in?

Theblazeuk

To go slightly to the side of this, I think there's a valid opposition to Halal along the lines of the industrial religious discrimination. As in I don't care how people like their meat to be prepared even if it's for a reason I don't comprehend, and I don't mind eating Halal meat, but I object to Butchers having to join a cult to stay commercially viable due to the big businesses switching to halal for expediency.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 April, 2015, 03:13:30 PM
but I object to Butchers having to join a cult to stay commercially viable due to the big businesses switching to halal for expediency.

There is no difference between standard UK-legal slaughter and halal slaughter of pre-stunned animals, other than the use of a 'blessed'* blade and the fact that the wielder must be muslim. None. The difference is that I can eat either, but muslims can only eat one.

That's not 'joining a cult', that's picking one of two processes that are indistinguishable in all practical senses but which serves the largest number of customers.

Cheers

Jim

*For want of the correct word, which I'll confess I can be arsed to google.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Re.  CCTVs in abattoirs.

Maybe she's just after the animal snuff movie vote.

Proudhuff

I'm surprised her husband allows her out, nothing there about stoning people who mix cotton with other material, or shellfish bans so she won't be getting my vote.
DDT did a job on me