Main Menu

Prog 1529 - Brothers in Arms

Started by I, Cosh, 19 March, 2007, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

This was the week I swapped my annual sub for a monthly one and I was on tenterhooks all morning. I needn't have worried, Denise came through for me like the trooper she is.

The cover really jumps out of the envelope. I love the chunky, Dirty Harry style revolvers the Dredd's are blasting away with. Maybe they could have got this guy to draw some of Origins...

Dredd first and, of course, the return of Origins is the big news this week. After the enforced wait, it's good to get straight into the action and this episode flashes past in a hail of bullets and ends with the promise of more.

Savage doesn't pump my nads the way it seems to do for so many. Perhaps if Bill had some robot snakes trying to eat his brain...

Robo-Hunter is not as dismal as previous outings, but I think that this strip needs either a significant storyline or permanent retiral. The lame jokes would be bearable if there was something else going on underneath, but they are the story and it's not good enough. I did like the bit with the rats.

The self-awareness of Sin/Dex can be grating (the "foreshadowing" monologue) but I can forgive that as there's a real sense of things happening in this current run as opposed to the scene-setting of last years stuff. I don't want it to get all Prison Break though.

Dante continues to deliver real quality. In recent weeks we've seen how depraved and disconnected Konstantin can be and now we get an unpleasant glimpse inside Lulu's head. Nikolai and Elena vs Lulu's sex-crazed ninjas will be something to behold and I wonder where the Romanovs go from here?
I also loved the Edinburgh scene-setting page.

Overall, a pretty solid Prog with the triumphant return of Origins overshadowed by the ongoing brilliance of Dante. Five new letters for Buttonman to get his teeth into too.
We never really die.

DavidXBrunt

Fantastic.

Origins returns in style with a belting action ser-piece, stunning art, and it seems like it's never been away.

Savage, and Robo-Hunter plod along nicely, there's some intriguing action in Sin Dex which pleases me no end and Dante? Any other prog this would have been the star of the show. Stunning.

DavidXBrunt

Fantastic.

Origins returns in style with a belting action ser-piece, stunning art, and it seems like it's never been away.

Savage, and Robo-Hunter plod along nicely, there's some intriguing action in Sin Dex which pleases me no end and Dante? Any other prog this would have been the star of the show. Stunning.

numanti

Bah.  No prog today - I almost always get it on Mondays, too :

Buttonman

Origins was great with a healthy slice of action.

Robo Hunter remains a miss for me. I'll be a pedant and say the poker scene was wrong. Last week the game was declared to be Texas Hold 'Em yet only 3 community cards were dealt (the flop) before the result was declared - where were the 4th (turn) and 5th (river) cards?

It also said the blokes hand was '10 high' despite a picture card (probably a queen) being shown on the flop. He can use this card so at worse his hand would be 'Queen high'.

Great to see Robbie Morrison taking over Alan Grant's role as Scottish Parliament basher! As if Russians 500 years in the future would give a toss.

Proudhuff

A wholesome prog, Origins back in the groove and right on the button.

Savage thundering to a wonderful climax.

Robohunter a rather limp wet kleenex of a story

Sinex, sort of Bad Girls without the good bits (!)

Dante, mondo bizarre... does the Daily mail know we throw this pop filth at our kids?

Mrs Trellis-huff

DDT did a job on me

Trout

Ah, that's the stuff. How did we get by in the dark days without Origins?
It's thunderously good stuff, despite the slightly weak single-panel rescue (Justice Department armour) and the mistake with the president's name in the last panel.
I'm very happy!

Savage is chilling and exciting again, and I like Robohunter, largely for the Gibson art.

SinDex is interesting now because it seems to be going somewhere, and Dante is as good as ever.

I love my prog.

- Trout

numanti

I liked the whole prog.

Dredd was great.  I hadn't missed Origins so much due to the quality of the replacements, but this was fantstic stuff.

Never really been a big fan of Sin Dex, Savage or Samantha Slade, but really enjoyed all of these this week.

Dante was the highlight - chilling stuff, I thought.  I may have to go back through my prog collection and read all the ones I never bothered with first time around, because now I'm thinking I missed out.

So, five good stories out of five - this has been going on for quite a while now.